Register now to get rid of these ads!

Ford 8.8" in Anglia

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by gasserx, Jan 29, 2013.

1. gasserx

gasserx
    from norway

I wonder if someone can school me a little bit on axles?
    I need to change the rear-axle on my Anglia project. It has been set up with a Volvo 1031 (Dana 30), but from what i have found out that is way too weak for dragracing.
    I have read that the 31 spline 8.8 axles is great stuff. So, i was happy when i found a local guy who had two complete 8.8s from Ford Explorers, one from a -97 and one from a -99.

Any axle i end up using needs to be shortened i guess. The Explorer rear, as far as i understand, have offset axles. Is this a problem when i going to rebuild/shorting it anyway?

2. mcmopar

mcmopar
    from Strum, wi

I do not know anything about the offset part, but I have used these in my Jeep, and just bought one for my 37 dodge truck. They are alot stronger, even better than a d44. Good luck, I would like to learn more about the offset part.

3. onetrickpony

onetrickpony
    from Texas

If you are going to shorten it and order custom axels, the offset pinion on the Explorer rear won't be a problem. Just line up the pinion where you want it, shorten and order the axels to fit. I would also recommend using the 9 inch ends so you can eliminate the C-Clip axel retainers.

4. gasserx

gasserx
    from norway

Im having a hard time finding a 9 inch over here...
    But isnt there a c-clip eliminating kit for the 8.8? I think i have seen that somewhere, but cant remember where.

Here is some info on axle length:
    drivers side is 31 spline for 97 & up Mountaineer, 95 & up Explorer, 30-1/2 inch length - 5 X 4.5 inch lug pattern.
    passenger side is 31 spline for 97 & up Mountaineer, 95 & up Explorer, 27-5/8 inch length - 5 X 4.5 inch lug pattern

5. I would keep looking,,a old Ford 9" would be your best bet. HRP

6. gasserx

gasserx
    from norway

Both Strange and Moser seems to have c-clip eliminator kits, but i cant figure out if they fit this particular axle..

7. R-Bo

R-Bo
    from Charlotte

Check out Mustang and Explorer boards for more info on the 8.8.

As far as c-clip eliminators--my position on that is if you run a 95 or later diff with disc brakes, the rotors are held on by the calipers and pads and the wheel won't come off if the c-clip does. On the other hand, I won't be drag racing my truck, so I can ignore NHRA and other organizations that have regulated c-clip eliminators.

8. Kenneth S

Kenneth S

Moser should have the 9" housing ends that you weld on your axle tubes so you can use 9' axles. The 28, and 31 spline axles used 8.8's are of the same pitch, and diameter as the 9" axles.

9. just google 8.8 narrowed rearend and you will find out all ya need to know. 8.8 are great rears and have a ton of aftermarket upgrades and support. They are also very plentifull I just picked one with 3:73 gears and a posi 31 spline and disc brakes for $100 at our local pull a part. I will admit that they are not as pretty as a 9 inch.

10. how much power are you going to put to it, and how much tire to hook it up? The 8.8 is a good rear end and Fox Body guys have put plenty of HO through them in a much heavier car. C-Clip eliminators are a MUST for drag racing one.

11. Manic Mechanix

Manic Mechanix

I'm in the process of narrowing an 8.8 explorer rear today. The dif housing is offset to passenger side for the transfer case in the explorer. If you shorten the driver side axle tube 2.925 inches, you can use the another passenger side axle on the drivers side of the rear end. The pinion center is approximately offset 1 inch to the right of center after narrowing. The overall width (axle flange to axle flange) of 56.5 inches. The disc brake calipers will retain the rotor and thus the axle in the event of a broken c clip.