Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Project "AREA 51" 51 Mercury update

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ether, May 11, 2008.

1. Spotto a couple of AMCs in there, Ether. You don't associate with THOSE people, do you? ;)

Merc is looking amazing. I haven't checked in to this thread for ages. Nice job.

2. Thanks for the comments everyone. I was REALLY worried in the early stages of this lower dash, for a while it was looking a little street rod for my taste. Nothing wrong with that just not where I was going with this build, I hope!!!

The lower door opens seperate from the top and hides the....um...radio. I had to make a new door since the DeSoto door was wider than the Chrysler and I wanted the gaps to line up. I moved the heat/air controllers over and removed the ashtray opening. The E-brake pocket was interesting to say the least but turned out not so bad. I was concerned it was going to stick out like a sore thumb!!

Oh, and ya Brootal, I hang out with an AMC guy! One of my best buds so I try not to hold it against him! You know what they say about the AMC type, its like the military over here "Dont ask dont tell"!?!?!?

3. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

looks very good chad, you made everything look right at home!

4. bennettamx

bennettamx

Absolutely over the top! By far one of my favorite Mercs!

5. Biased opinion, perhaps? ;)

6. Latest accessory to the Merc.....Hope it isnt overboard or tacky!?!?!?!

Attached Files:

7. chopnweld

chopnweld
    from Nor Cal

I dig it! Where did ya find that gem? Still got the tent?

8. koolkemp

koolkemp

They look damn classy together to me!!

9. 19Fordy

19Fordy

The ultimate accessory for your nice Merc.

10. Now to get the kids to help polish the trailer out like a new nickle!!

Last edited: Aug 9, 2012
  11. So I've been feeling like Ralphy from the Christmas Story waiting everyday for his Ovaltine secret decoder. Walking down to the mailbox, EVERY day, looking for the May issue of HOTROD DELUXE. Today, still nothing in the mail. My wife pulls up in the drive from work and hands me the only four, fresh off the shelf from the local bookstore!!!!! Theres a seven full page spread on my Mercury moredoor to twodoor conversion!!!!

DRINK MORE OVALTINE!!!!!!!!

Attached Files:

12. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

This is way cool Chad!!!!! Im still looking for a copy! been striking out at every place for the new issue!! And quit pretending that your actually reading, I know your really checking out the ladies...:D

13. shoebox1950

shoebox1950
    from California

Matt, I was reading it today at the gas station here in Temecula...let me know if you want me to grab a copy for you. Barnes and Nobles carries it too...congratulations to you, Ether...way cool!

14. I will totally go and get one, that's awesome!

15. I saw it at Stater Bros last week and snatched one up! That's cool Ether! I haven't read it yet,but will this weekend.

16. Doctor Detroit

Doctor Detroit

Awesome, Dude.... Congratulations

17. Really like the lower dash treatment.

18. Congrats Chad! Well Deserved!

19. 51 mercules

51 mercules

20. BuilderRhys

BuilderRhys

Hey Chad,
    Too funny, we were at Ralphy's house last month in Cleveland, Ohio. Here's a picture of Elrod hiding under the sink with my copy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Much deserved honor, Rhys.

Attached Files:

21. chopnweld

chopnweld
    from Nor Cal

Well done pal. Gonna grab a copy tomorrow.

22. Congrats Ether, that is so awesome!!! Only problem with buying all of them off the shelf in your home town is no one else gets a chance to pick it up and say, "Hey! That dude lives here!" :D

23. williebill

williebill

I've bought too damn many mags the last 50 years,but I had to add yours to the bedside stack after I read it in the bookstore. Great article,love your car. You done good.

24. stealthcruiser

stealthcruiser

Bad Ass, My Brother!

25. Well Deserved...Congrats!

26. RR496

RR496

Congrats Ether! Awesome build!

27. leadsledmerc49

leadsledmerc49

Picked up my copy today. Great write up. Congrats man, that's so freakin' cool.

28. Thanks for all the comments. The article has been humbling to say the least and Brad Ocock (brad54) did an awesome job writing it! Never did I expect that to ever go to print but rather took pics along the way to post here and help others as others have done before. The Merc is never finished and there's always something to do, family life and customers builds seem to always come first. Oh and then there's the never ending " Hey honey, look what I just drug home. It was a screaming deal"!!!

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

29. Doctor Detroit

Doctor Detroit

Well I saw it at the store... so I had to buy it... I have quick question about door hinges, since I saw you mention them. You said four door hinges are the same as two door hinges. If I understood correctly, four door rear hinges can be put on the front doors or a two or four door?

In my 51 Merc body catalog, it lists the front door hinges on a two or four door as the same part number, but the rear door hinges are a different part number. I'm curious if they can still be swapped if necessary.