Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hambers like me with one car garages?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by The Bomber, Apr 3, 2013.

1. The Bomber

The Bomber
    from mass.

Wondering how many Hambers out there are still toughing it out with one car garages and how you work around them.

2. 53 sparky

53 sparky

I have a 1 car garage. I use my 10x10 shed in the back yard to store parts & body stuff so that it's not too full. I find I REALLY need to keep my tools/crap organized or I can't walk around. I also put my compressor in the shed and ran some copper pipe back to the garage. I put a second regulator and a small 20 gallon tank in line to help with the overall airflow. I also use my driveway a lot. I also used car dollys to push the chassis up against one wall so that I can work on the other side.

3. oldnuts

oldnuts
    from nebraska

I do too. I keep it pretty clean and organized. I use my basement for storage of parts And shop tools I'm not using. It does get cramped and frustrating at times but I make it work.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

4. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

I'm toughing it out in my driveway and hoping for a car port one day.

5. Most of us have worked in a small space,,or a lack of space.

At one time I laid in the grass and worked on the car in the back yard in the rain,snow and the heat.

I believe it makes you appreciate when you finally get around to building that dream shop. HRP

6. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Damn right it does!

7. pressuredrop

pressuredrop
    from mesa AZ

I have a 1 car garage and carport. The garage is for storage and tools, and I'm building my pickup in the carport. I actually prefer this set up over my old 2 car garage

8. MoparJoel

MoparJoel

My garage back in the States is a one car, hopefully when or "IF" I return from Korea I will get a two car garage when I get stationed in Vegas. For now My garage is a bike rack about 20 feet outside my little Military dorm room, since we are not alowed to Drive in Korea...:(

Last edited: Apr 3, 2013
  9. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

There are a few threads like this over at garagejournal.com if you wana see more :)

10. castirondude

castirondude

I have a 30x60 shop with so many tools, engines, benches, cabinets and equipment that I can only fit one car. Does that count? :)

Seriously though having room for the hobbies was a requirement when home shopping, and finding such a home was a requirement for accepting a job. Life is all about priorities. and you can get creative, maybe rent some space somewhere? Biggest concern with that is theft of course.

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

11. CanUFelix

CanUFelix
    from venice CA

Ive got a one car garage, no drive, no storage....the roadster fits in there nice and snug with plenty of room to work round it. My 57 Chev and C10 truck were very different stories......still, i aint complaining. There is NO parking available in my town and prior to that car maintenance meant laying in the gutter on the street......

Attached Files:

12. dragonknucks

dragonknucks

I've got a one car garage in a "luxury apartment" complex. Some neighbors are cool with me workin on the car, others... Not so much. Doesn't bother me any. I also painted my car in my garage and nobody said anything. It's a tight fit cuz I have a shelving unit for storage, a small work bench, washer and dryer and a full size shop fridge. Could be a whole lot worse I suppose.

13. Toecutter

Toecutter

One car garage here too. Have a 20 x 25 cement pad behind my house where we do most of the work. Hope to have a car port over it this year. :cool:

14. acadian_carguy

acadian_carguy

All I got is a small carport and my driveway. Wish I had more, but I own a great house in a great neigbourhood, so I make due.

Attached Files:

15. oakmckinley

oakmckinley

I have a single stall as well, with the old swing out barn doors.
    In fact I was just reinstalling my rear end on my 64 yesterday and the garage floor was still frozen with runoff from this winter. I have also changed my trans in there!
    Sometimes I look at it and it amazes me what I can get done in there.

16. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I would have stttled for a decent tarp, 14 years in a car park on Military Bases. My 38 Coupe, my 28 A RPU and HG Monaro suffered through a lot.

Doc.

17. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

I noticed some of you don't have garages. How do you get insurance? Grundy and Hagerty require a garage.

18. 210eddiep

210eddiep

Yeah, I did that for awhile, finally built a car port. It's 25x25. I made it out of steel, Cpurlins, 3x3 steel post and snap lock roofing for around 750$. Man talk about a move up. It's great!

19. 210eddiep

210eddiep

Liability. Just can't get full coverage.

20. bulletproof1

bulletproof1
    from tulsa okla

i remove the car doors if working inside the car,,,i also hang stuff like battery chargers on the wall to save floor space.

21. Molonewolf

Molonewolf

I work in a barage, half barn half garage. Gets me out of the weather.

22. I have a 1 car garage and it forces you to become very creative with storage space. I put my heat/ac unit on the ceiling for example! :D Comfort year round leads to more productivity!

23. snopeks garage

snopeks garage
    from macomb MI

I have a 1car with a shed behind it to keep my compressor and parts in. also store a lot in my basemet and big stiff under tarps in the driveway. Got my A in the garage now and building the frame in the driveway. If theres a will theres a way.

24. zpi28

zpi28

Ive had Statefarm for 16 years and they dont ask about a garage. I have full coverage on my 68 C10, it was only $4 a month more than liability.

25. SOCAL PETE

SOCAL PETE
    from Ramona CA

I agree. I went from an apartment parking lot, to using the base hobby shop, to a 1 car garage, to a 2 car plus a 2 car back yard 20 x 22 x 13, to a over size 2 car to a small 2 car and now finally a oversize 3 car. Whilst accumalating more shit!! And cars! If its square and has a garage door I can fill it up!!!

26. cmarcus

cmarcus

One car garage here. I am thankful that at least I have a workbench, stools etc. to work on small projects, but with a thousand foot Cadillac, there is not room to do much more than pop the hood :) I'll deal with it - I am just thankful to have a space to keep it stored, and a wife who tolerates it!!

[​IMG]

27. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You guy's get a hobby shop provided on base over there in the US?
    Man we just did it in the barracks parking lot, you know how hard it is to justify to the MP's why you not only have a rusty old POS vintage looking car but why you also have another car (Donor car) in a million bits next to it messing up their pretty base?

Doc.

28. nxcess

nxcess
    from Mesa, AZ

Lots of good ideas posted. However if you had a multi-car garage like aI have you would soon fill it up and need more space!

29. Thumper

Thumper

Carport and driveway here.....yeah it's a pain in the ass but it's all about..."how bad do ya want it"..:D