Register now to get rid of these ads!

Which ways the Beach? Santa Maria to Austin Roadtrip Family Style

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by surfcaliforniasurf, Apr 3, 2013.

1. surfcaliforniasurf

surfcaliforniasurf

I have wanted to go to Austin since Paso moved, and when I heard my wife say she has always wanted to see the city of Austin, I jumped on the opportunity and planned a trip in 3 weeks. 10 days, lots of miles, 54 year old vehicle, 2 kids under 4, let's just say most of our friends don't get it...so I hope some Hambers will.

The Car: 1959 Chevy Parkwood Wagon I built 9 years ago and drive everyday. 327, turbo 350, I have no clue how many miles.

Family: My wife Kenna, 4 year old son Cormac (he rode tripped in the wagon to Washington State when he was 2, so he says he is a "Road Dog", and 1.5 year old daughter Birdie

Trip:
    Day 1: We left Santa Maria at 3:30 Tuesday morning, breakfast in Palm Springs, and were enjoying the Phoenix zoo by 3pm. Spent the night with friends in Phoenix Tuesday night. 551 miles

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Day 2: Left phoenix at 9:30, entered New MExico at 1:50, 3.5 hours later we were in El Paso. Saw a bitchin hot rod pickup on the road and we cruised 80 for an hour before they pulled off for gas. I hope to meet them in Austin. Decided since the kids were napping to power through some more and ended up in Van Horn, Texas tonight. 539 miles.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Outside the restaurant in Van Horn, tx

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 4, 2013
  2. Toecutter

Toecutter

Nice! Wagons rule :cool:

If you are looking for water, Schliterbahn is down the road in New Braunfels on the Gaudalupe River. :D

Edit: wait, the area just had a huge storm roll thru. Stay away from the water...lol

3. john~N~dallas

john~N~dallas

Awesome trip ! Awesome story.. See you there I'll look for your car! Stay safe John

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

4. Kiwi Tinbender

Kiwi Tinbender

Too Cool ! The Pickup you saw belongs to my pal David Lyons from Hood River, Oregon. There should have been a 61 Ford Unibody with him too......Good shot of the rear pan I built for it....it goes all over the country, anf drives like a dream...

5. Hoptup Jalop

Hoptup Jalop

Great memories in the making!!

6. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D Road trips are always fun.More so with the family.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

7. This is rad! You're living the dream

8. Born there in 1954 on Blosser Rd. nice wagon your kids will remember this all there lives. good DAD

9. SakowskiMotors

SakowskiMotors

10. philly the greek

philly the greek
    from so . cal.

A roadtrip to a hotrod event is always good , With your family is a big plus anytime ! Be safe and looking forward to future posts .

11. I get it!! I'm about to start the build of a '59 Pontiac wagon for just the same reason.....Bonneville 2014!!

Awesome trip and can't wait to see more photos!!

12. Great picture's, looks like a great time had by all.

13. Wow this is awesome. Your family will remember this! I wonder how many questions ya have to answer out on the road

14. VA HAMB

VA HAMB

Wow! So Cool!!!

15. Love those red-headed kids! Welcome to Texas and y'all have a ball!

16. brokenspoke

brokenspoke

17. COOL! Road trips with the family are times you and they will not forget. The smile on your boy's face says it all.
    Later,
    Dick

18. sololobo

sololobo

Kool city!! Love the wagon bro. Yu are gonna love Austin and the Roundup. ~sololobo~

19. Blackie

Blackie

We saw you on the road. We were in the red '35 Dodge pickup and '61 F100. We made Van Horn as well. Safe travels!

20. Blackie

Blackie

ImageUploadedByTJJ1365077281.418094.jpg

21. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Incredible... Too much fun.

22. tikiwagon13

tikiwagon13

AWESOME! Our kids love roadtrips in the wagon, what it is with kids and wagons!

23. Well That's just COOL!

24. MUNCIE

MUNCIE
    from Houston

Really cool trip and nice looking wagon.

25. J'st Wandering

J'st Wandering

Your kids will remember trips like this forever. We did similar stuff with our kids when they were small. They remember it better than I do. Then as they got older, we never could take the time. Too many school activities. So, my words, great trip and continue taking them while you can.

We took alot of our trips in a '69 Impala that I fixed up. I had always wished that I would have fixed up a '59 Chevy station wagon instead. Thought they would make a great roadtrip vehicle.

Neal

26. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Drove with my wife and twin girls from Houston to Mobile Al in a 48 Plymouth woodie wagon back in the late 70s. They were only 3 at the time but the trips we took then and over the next 5 years in the woodie are still great memories for them.
    Glad to see kids smiling faces in an old car. We didn't have car seats though. I took out the middle seat and put the playpen in for the munchkins to ride/sleep in.

27. Dave Rondou

Dave Rondou

Great road trip with the family. Thanks for posting.

28. el Roach

el Roach
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Cool ! Family trips. The way is should be.

29. roughneck424

roughneck424

Good for you. Thats what Family all about. May the Force be with you....
    Thanks for sharing so we can ride along

30. Looks like everyone is having a ball!

We hauled our twin girls around the country in the back seat of a 40 Ford sedan,have fun & be safe!:D HRP