Register now to get rid of these ads!

HELP! I need a m7 x .8 Tap! Any Harley Guys?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 38FLATTIE, Apr 3, 2013.

1. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

HELP! I need a m7 x .8 Tap!

Don is working like crazy to get the lifters done. We are using early Harley adjustors, and just found out the take a m7 x .8 Tap!

If anyone has one they are willing to sell, or knows where I can get one ASAP, it would be much appreciated!

Last edited: Apr 3, 2013
  2. Try McMaster Carr online

Sent from my ROID's using the TJJ mobile app

3. TudorJeff

TudorJeff

4. Also: http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?PARTPG=INSRAR2&PMAKA=891-4972&PMPXNO=3904805

half the cost of the above link.

Hand Taps; Thread Size (mm): M7x0.75; Class of Fit: 6H; Thread Limit: D4; Number of Flutes: 4; Chamfer: Plug; Material: High Speed Steel
    Thread Type: Metric Fine
    Thread Size: M7x0.75
    Chamfer Style: Plug
    Material: HSS
    Finish/Coating: Bright
    Number of Flutes: 4
    Thread Length (Inch): 1-1/8
    Overall Length (Inch): 2-23/32

5. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

Thanks guys, but those are m7x.75.

I need a m7x.8- it's the thread of early Harley lifter adjustors. I imagine the only person that may have one is a pretty intense Harley mechanic!

6. Curt B

Curt B

At first I thought the .8 pitch was a typo but your last post confirms this not to be the case and makes your task that much more difficult. Here's a place that makes custom taps and can probably help. Good luck.

http://www.tapcotaps.com/

7. Then give these guys a call, http://www.jimsusa.com/

If those are proprietary threads, the hardware will be also. Good luck!

8. 29pu

29pu

if it`s the same threads for the stop light switch in the front brake handle for a shovelhead I might have one.I`ll check it tomorrow.It`s in my tool box at work.I had to order it because of the weird size threads on those.

9. BaBa

BaBa

10. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

Flattie, In your area call A Righteous Ride they do the most custom and old school work of anyone I can remember being in business. (greeley)
    Also try Donna or Rick on the parts counter at Wild West Motorsports in Greeley.
    Thunder Mountain might have one too. Been a while since I was doing bikes in that area, a couple more guys, but names are skipping me.

11. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

12. uploadfromtaptalk1365034374000.jpg

Ok, had to go ask my tenant Robert Hernandez about this. Robert builds quite a few early HD engines.The top lifter and push rod is Panhead and up, the lower is Knucklehead. Both are threaded 1/4-32.

And doing my best at converting metric to SAE, this is what I believe you are after.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

13. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

Thinking about it you make sense ElP. Early HD should be standard and not metric. But then again, the could have done metric just to be difficult ( many years on the parts counter they proved that one to me)

14. Halfdozen

Halfdozen
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm no Harley expert, but I can't imagine them having used a metric thread for an "early adjuster".
    I've never heard of an m7 .8 thread, but I haven't heard everything. Unfortunately, my copy of the Machinery's Handbook is at work, so I can't look it up. If it has ever existed, it'll be in that book.
    Maybe what you're looking for is a 12-32 thread, I've encountered that before. (Don't some Stromberg carbs use 12-32's to fasten the bowl cover to the carb body?...) .8mm pitch would be almost exactly 32 TPI, what is the major diameter of the male thread?

Edit: 1/4-32 taps seem to be readily available.

15. I trust Robert, they didn't start using metrics until the EVO line.

If you do the math, 7mm is .2751 inches. that's .020" over 1/4". Seems a bit off but?
    Then on the thread pitch, .8mm converts to .0314961" and thats damn close to 32 TPI. And that cannot be a coincidence...

16. Curt B

Curt B

In the end I bet you're right except for placement of the decimal point. .025" major diameter difference is nearly as much as the pitch so it's one or the other. I have a machinery's handbook and M7-.8 is for sure a special thread designation.

17. Larry T

Larry T

No way Harley used metric on Pans, Knucks, and Flatheads. Maybe machine thread, but not metric. They did use a couple of unique thread pitches, but I think you can get the special taps for them.

18. let me suggest Dale Walksler at Wheels Through Time in Maggie valley. He knows early Harleys and is a renowned restorer and Harley expert. Ill bet hes got the right tool or info
    Just google ...Wheels Through Time Museum. Maggie Valley NC

19. Hotrodbuilderny

Hotrodbuilderny

My next door neighbor is an old time Harley mechanic, he just retired from Harley about three years ago. He has flatheads on up, has a beautiful 48 he just restored. I will try and ask him in the morning.If you can get a hold of Gary Terhaar on here he is also a well respected Harley engine builder.

20. Larry T

Larry T

21. 29pu

29pu

I have a 1/4 32 tap if you need it.

22. Larry T

Larry T

I'm 99% sure they're 9/32-32, not 1/4-32. I've got a Knuck apart I can check today. Also have Pan and Shovel lifters and pushrods, that should be the same, that I can check.

23. 29pu

29pu

I got mine for chasing threads at the stop light switch.I remember it was a thread that was different.

24. pops29

pops29
    from turlock ca

It is a 9/32 - 32 dam close to .8 pitch -- I did the cardinal sin " assumed " metric after I put the calipers to it. I re-checked it this morning with the mic. and a 32 pitch gauge. Thanks for the input guys !!!!!!!!

25. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

Thanks Larry! 9/32-32 is damn close to m7-.8!

We shoulda known, though, that it wouldn't be metric!

Thanks everyone, for helping, and solving this mystery!

26. Deuces

Deuces

Metric threads on a Harley????.....:eek:
    What's the world coming too????....:(