Register now to get rid of these ads!

Frame Sandblasting/Boxing/Priming and Painting

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Zoomzoooie, Apr 2, 2013.

1. Zoomzoooie

Zoomzoooie
    from BC Canada

It's time to start work on my 1938 chevy pickup after it being in storage for many years. I have a Chevy Big Block/TH350/Dana 60 combo so I want to do some boxing on the frame.

Once the frame is sandblasted inside where the boxing plates go, what do you guys do for priming and painting before and/or after the boxing plates are welding in? What if the whole frame is boxed?

I want to use epoxy primer on the frame. I have not decided on the top coat yet, but it's between gloss epoxy Frame Black which is expensive or Implement enamel which is much more affordable and from what I have read, it is very durable and should last a long time.

Being on a budget sets my limits.

ZZ

2. Zoomzoooie

Zoomzoooie
    from BC Canada

3. jimbousman

jimbousman

Some paint the inside. Some don't. Bloxide and Dupont make a "weld through primer" that some apply before boxing. In the past I've sprayed the inside with a wand and 3M™ Inner Cavity Wax or regular POR after boxing.

4. Definitely paint inside the frame. Epoxy as you mentioned would be best. Then it wouldn't hurt to wax oil it when you're all done.
    I'm sure the implement paint will be fine as long as it has epoxy beneath it. Good luck! -Ish

5. Zoomzoooie

Zoomzoooie
    from BC Canada

How well would using a sponge cut to the shape of the inside of the frame work for applying epoxy primer and paint, soaking it and dragging it though on a string or wire a few times?

6. Bugguts

Bugguts

I used weld through primer before welding the boxing plates on . Epoxy primed, than nice single stage black, than used a wand and wax based undercoating to reach inside through any hole that the wand would fit in. Probably never rust out in my lifetime without all this, but I dont want to do this again anytime soon.

7. 409ina49

409ina49
    from Ohio

Eastwood makes an internal frame coating that has a wand used to spray inside the frame after boxing is complete. That's what I used.

8. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

I tape off about 1/4"-1/2" along the edge where the boxing plate will go and then prime and paint the inside with a rattle can Krylon. I do the same with the inside edge of the boxing plate. I know some of it is gonna burn off during welding, but at least it gets some coverage. I also do my best afterwards to spray some in after all the welding is done.

9. I painted the inside of my 32 frame. Also drilled a couple of drain holes in the bottom of the frame on each side. Ya know water will probably find it's way in there....

10. I do it the same way, but I use epoxy primer brushed in. Body cavity wax after welding.