Register now to get rid of these ads!

Cowl Steering Setup Question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by blmoore, Apr 1, 2013.

1. blmoore

blmoore
    from Iowa

Hey guys I have a question reguarding an idea I have for an unconventional cowl steering setup. The tire obstructs the drag link so i am unable to use a conventional cowl steering setup. I have drawn up and attached a picture of my idea. I will use the original drag link and pitman arm, but I will attach a second pitman arm to the original at 180 degrees, these will be attached to a pivot point on the frame. I have two questions: 1. Do you see any issue with the two pitman arms that are attached to the pivot point such as effect on the steering ratio, ect.? 2. The drag link that is attached to the steering arm will be parrallel to the ground, which I believe should eliminate bump steer. Is there any issue with having the drag link that is attached to the steering gear at an angle and not parrellel with the ground?

Attached Files:

2. backwoods96

backwoods96
    from Mead, Wa.

When you turn left it will turn right & when you turn right it will turn left.
    you are reversing the action .

3. jimstro16

jimstro16

I've never tried a setup like that before so I might not be the expert you are looking for. But if you don't reverse the box it will turn the right direction, unless its a backwards box

Raise the pivot point so it doesn't have as much bump steer.

Then let us know how it worked for ya

4. Should be fine if you can get the geometry close to how you have it pictured. As mentioned, be SURE the box is going to move the steering arm the correct direction!

5. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Using a bellcrank will reverse the steering, but a pivot arm will keep it in the correct rotation. It's been used on race cars, with sucess.

Attached Files:

6. blmoore

blmoore
    from Iowa

The box I'm planning on using would have had to be reversed for a conventional setup, but with this setup I will no longer have to reverse it. Thanks for the input!

7. One other thing worth mentioning, be sure that the bellcrank doesn't "time out" (end up in a straight line with the drag links) in a left turn.