Register now to get rid of these ads!

31 A sedan axle width question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by oldnuts, Apr 1, 2013.

1. oldnuts

oldnuts
    from nebraska

can someone tell me what is the narrowest rear alxe i will need for a 31 model A sedan on bags. sorry if its a dumb ass question but i dont have easy acces to my sedan to measure it

2. the flatlander

the flatlander

fifty five inches flange to flange (thats outside to outside) you might get by w/ a Maverick rear 56.5" and all depends on wheel width & backspacing too ?? good luck

3. oldnuts

oldnuts
    from nebraska

By outside flange do you mean outside of drum or the end of the axle tube where the backing plates bolt to?

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

4. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

ALWAYS wheel mounting surface to wheel mounting surface. Who ever started the backing plate to backing plate measurement needs to be neutered...

5. carkiller

carkiller

The norm is a 57-59 Ford car or first series 67-77 Bronco. Depands on your wheel bolt pattern you want as well. Cal

6. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

Like already stated ...

The V8 5 lug Maverick rear end is 56 inches. It is a 8 inch series Ford rear end. It is Measured from the wheel mounting surface to the wheel mounting surface :)

[​IMG]

For a 9 inch series rear end ... most go with a 66 - 77 Ford Bronco or a 57 - 59 Ford car rear end. They measure 58 inches.

Some go with a 1983 to 2004 2 wheel drive S-10 rear end which is
    about 54 and 1/2 inches.

The offset on the wheels you use REALLY affects what width you need.

If not using fenders ... you can go a good bit wider easily.

7. oldnuts

oldnuts
    from nebraska

Thanks guys. I've got a 9in that measures 55in backing plate to backing plate that's why I was confused.

8. rawcjw19

rawcjw19

mine measures 58 wheel mounting surface. 4 inch back space wheels with no fenders looks like I will get by o.k. using the standard humped inner fender wells. I do believe a little narrower would be better

9. [​IMG]

This is not a real good photo but it is my '31 Sedan with a 9' from a '57 station wagon. I put it under there so many years ago I've forgotten the width. :confused:

10. Bluedot

Bluedot

Oldnuts, I think you'll be happy with 55". I went 55 1/2" on my coupe, wish I'd gone just slightly narrower. And like others have said, decide on wheels and tires before you commit. Measure measure measure, and if you can mock rear/wheels/tires up under the body before welding anything, you'll be sure before you invest a lot of work. Do overs suck.

11. oldnuts

oldnuts
    from nebraska

Thanks guys. I'm putting my A on airbags so the body will sit flat on the ground. The rear end I've got is out of a 64 ford f100.

12. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

Your 64 Ford F-100 rear end should be 60 inches W I D E :)
    With fenders ... too wide for most rodders taste. Without fenders ... good to go :D

13. A Model A Tudor is wider above the rear axle than a coupe. Keep that in mind especially with airbags.