Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Phoenix,AZ kills off local Drag Strips

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JeffB2, Mar 23, 2013.

1. [​IMG]

I'll agree completely with your first paragraph. It also may be true, as you claim, about businesses lined up but, Bob Bondurant did get the road track against the interstate you mentioned for a long term contract. Based on that, I would doubt that that road course is in danger of being swallowed up. Also, my sources say that Lucas did get a long term contract for the lake. Based on that, it appears that all the road courses on both sides of the strip and the lake will stay in place for the foreseable future.
    The same would apply to to the drag strip based on my sources as well.

I guess we will see but, I think it is a safe bet to say all the racing surfaces ( land and water ) , are secure for various forms of motorsports for decades to come.

After hosting drag races at Speedworld since 1998, I will really miss working there- the people, the track, all bring so many really great memories. For all those years, I drove right by Firebird to head to Speedworld.
    By moving my events to the east side of town, it will be an enourmous advantage geographically as I live much closer to Firebird.
    Am looking forward to a good, long term relationship with Firebird.

2. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

I was just thinking the same Steve. I love Speed World, but it always seemed that the local participants were either from the surrounding area or my end of town, down town. Probably for the same reason that I only get out to so Gilbert 3 or 4 times a year... It's freakin' far away! Shifting the Nostalgia drags down to Fire Bird I believe will draw more folks from the east valley that otherwise wouldn't drive to damn near Wickenburg for Speed World. As it sits in my tiny and far from official world with the mini bike dorks, now that the event is closer to some, they'll show.

3. Nick Flores

Nick Flores

They'll have one less excuse anyways....

4. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

Clip art!! Awesome.
    Firebird is okay, my heart is with Speedworld...but the whole thing is just on the decline...

Color me completely DISENCHANTED.

5. Keep your chin up. I come from the land of the disenchanted, and one of the main reasons I spend my winter here is for the hot rodding culture. Don't let the bastards get you down, otherwise you'll be left with a no-cruising law in a town the size of Buckeye.:rolleyes:

...... and a ton of pro-street Camaros with Northwest mags, or Centerlines. - paraphrased from Chip:D:D:D:D:D

Last edited: Mar 27, 2013
  6. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Buck up there little camper! Get that mini runnin' right again and come out with us yahoos and run at the "big time" track! Hell, I love Speed world too, but that could just sort it's stuff back out. It's been closed before, remember? Listen to ME being the voice of reason and such... How many times has THAT happened in life?!:D

7. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

Hey...my mini is running fine, and has been! Well, up until this weekend at the bugorama, jonathon broke my pull starter!! hahahahaaa

8. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

There is a rumor that Speedwords demise is from banning Mary Rose Wilcox from the wet T-shirt contests :eek: which could have caused symptoms of blindness. :D

9. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Or instant death...

10. Oh my gosh!! That is a scary thought!

11. barryvanhook

barryvanhook
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Mesa, AZ

Remember when that disgruntled citizen shot her in the ass?? Don't see how he could have missed anyway!:D

12. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Ya, that was the FIRST time collectively every female that knows me well called my phone and said "Where are you right now...!"

13. Guys ,we are tentatively scheduled for Saturday, April 27th.

I say tentatively, because there is a whole lot of work to be done beforehand.

Some of the equipment has not been purchased yet, staff has not been hired and so on..
    This will all be assessed as soon as the current occupant has vacated the premises...
    So, no events , nostalgic or otherwise will take place until this happens..
    But look for the grand re-opening with The Southwest Nostalgia Drags..soon

14. rc.grimes

rc.grimes
    from Edmond, OK

Hmmmm, I was just toying with scrounging a minibike for riding on base. Would definitely fit in my civic to get out to Firebird.

15. lanny haas

lanny haas
    from Phoenix AZ

I really dont think that speedworld will reopen as they have removed all the wires for the timing system. all the signage is gone, all light towers and golf cars are gone, they have been told to remove everything. I got this from a guy who has been there for a long time. He also told me that canyon raceway will not have there permit renewed when it expires next year...Rumor or truth I dont know.

16. Speed Gems

Speed Gems

Last edited: Jul 24, 2013