Register now to get rid of these ads!

4.30 gears for 57-64 Olds dropout rearend?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by old jetstar, Apr 1, 2013.

1. old jetstar

old jetstar
    from oswego,KS

Does anyone know if they were ever made?I think that's really the gear I need......

2. I believe the Pontiac hams interchanged with the Olds. Pontiac did have more ratios available, their 4.33 should be the one, IIRC. You can always pick up an aftermarket R & P.

Bob

3. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

Yes sir, the 4.30 ratio was made. Had a set in my ol Anglia for a while.

Mike

4. blubiu65

blubiu65
    from Colorado

Yes they were

5. an1951

an1951

These people can help you out on tech, gears and parts for the 57-64 Pontiac/ Olds rear end stuff.

link=http://www.fabcraftmetalworks.com/

6. Back many years ago I had a 1950 Oldsmobile model 76 (6 cylinder auto trans)that had a 4.30:1 rear axle. Someone told me once they were known as,"mountain gears" but couldn't explain why. This particular car came from Colorado so it may have been an optional ratio. When I installed a rather large later model Olds(475 cu.in.) I wound up welding the spiders because the single track would spin all day and a posi unit wasn't available.
    I have a 4.56:1 posi unit in my 57 Safari but those are Richmond gears.I'm sure you can find a 4.30 gear set for the 57 rear but it will require(IIRC)a spacer for the ring gear to properly set it up.

7. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

contact Brad at Fabcraft...as mentioned.

I ran a 4.30 in the Willys. Yes, they were made