Register now to get rid of these ads!

Updated my Garage (with a '40 Ford Pickup)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by agshelby, Feb 27, 2013.

1. Very nice. Love it!

2. agshelby

agshelby

I did some checking and found that the 302 and AOD may not be original, either . Damn hotrodders and their modifications !

3. You always want to start with the nicest example you can find. It's pretty near perfect as it is, I wouldn't do much to it. Congrats!!

4. chudm71

chudm71
    from Perryton

5. bubba67

bubba67
    from NJ

Cool truck, I love it !

6. tofords

tofords

Steve ; the 41 parking glass in front are used because they are also turn signals ,41's are taller I used them so cars coming at you can see them. Look under the seat I left you some old plates. Frank

7. tofords

tofords

8. 40fordtudor

40fordtudor

Looks good underhood. You will be happy with the engine. Sits a little high but you said you would remedy that. Enjoy it.

9. irondoctor

irondoctor
    from Newton, KS

10. sololobo

sololobo

Home run, what a sweetheart! Congrats on a super score. ~sololobo~

11. agshelby

agshelby

I am somewhat limited on what I can lift & do because of a disc issue (I have surgery in a few weeks on my neck)- so did a little cleanup that didn't involve too much labor. I am going to clean up some of the wiring and maybe buff the truck - other than that it is ready for the roundup.

Later this year I will pull the engine and do some detailing. For now the '40 is done and I am working on light jobs on the T-Bird and the RPU.

Engine before cleanup:

[​IMG]

After:

[​IMG]

12. Pewsplace

Pewsplace

Nice 40 that got away from CA. Frank should have kept this one. Enjoy the ride and good luck with your surgery.

13. agshelby

agshelby

I didnt like the stock stance but I'm not ready to swap the axle until later in the year. I went ahead and put in a reverse eye spring in order to get the front a little bit lower for now. It turned out to be a bigger job that I expected (removing the old bushings on the wishbones was a bitch) - but I like the results. I got pretty much an exact two inch drop from the reverse eye spring.

Wheels and tires are next - going to drop down to 15" wheels in the same style, with wider wheels in the rear and a shorter tire in the front.

Before:
    [​IMG]

After:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 31, 2013
  14. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

very nice truck--enjoy

15. teejay99

teejay99

That is a beauty . I like the subtle approach you are taking with the truck .

T

16. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

17. agshelby

agshelby

Thanks - The early 60s is my favorite period for hot rods and want to slowly change it to an appearance from that era. I am working out plans for mods to the stance and a custom interior.

Ignore the dirty white walls - I took the tire off with greasy hands ...

Last edited: Apr 1, 2013
  18. Very nice PU, I like that color combo, it looks better after you dropped it 2".
    HAVE FUN!
    cw.

19. flat34pu

flat34pu

very nice looking truck,
    rich

20. 40FordDeluxe

40FordDeluxe

Wow, very nice 40 PU you have! That 302 with AOD should get some decent mileage too!

21. I love it! Yep, all it needs is a rake and of course stripes.

Attached Files:

22. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

Great looking truck. What kind of engine fan is on it? Looks to have an uncut firewall.

23. agshelby

agshelby

Thanks -

It has an electric fan mounted in front of the radiator. The firewall is uncut.

24. tictac

tictac
    from Okc, Ok

That amount of drop looks great. Now that is one sweet truck. Wish I had one just like it.

25. agshelby

agshelby

Although I have discussed maintaining the same style of wheel and tire I keep coming back to one preference: Chrome steel wheels with rears reversed and spider caps. For tires I am looking at the redline radials. It is a big change from the current stock look but in my mind that is the right look for this truck. Will also be losing that side mounted spare ...

26. drop it in the weeds and you're good to go!

27. agshelby

agshelby

New shoes arrived from Coker today. Wheels will be here later this week. I decided to stay with the stock look, but with an adjusted off-set that will help push out the rear wheels and tires in the rear fenders. The wheels are also going to be gloss black instead of the current rat rod red.

[​IMG]

28. The big and littles with make a big difference, as well as the offset you ordered on the back rims. Mine looked so much better when I got the new rims for the back to fill the fenders out.

I also have a 302 with an AOD and I get 20 - 22 MPG, works real good. Here's a picture of my daily driver.

[​IMG]