Register now to get rid of these ads!

Need some help; first flathead.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by SixFour, Mar 31, 2013.

1. SixFour

SixFour
    from So cal

Just picked up a all stock running 8ba merc flathead for my 52 ford car.

This is my first flathead, so I'm not too familiar.

My 52 is my daily driver so I'm looking to have a solid runner, with some hop ups. I'd like to put some nice heads and intake, maybe a little cam.

What would be the best heads and cams for this? I am looking at the speedway catalog and it seems they have a lot of nice parts. Thinking of running some offenhauser heads and a 2x2 manifold.

I'd like some info on a good setup, budget in mind of course, that will be reliable, run good, and at least help the car get out of its own way.

Thank you!

2. R Pope

R Pope

Heads and a 2x2 intake are good choices. Also get a good distributor, trash the stock vacuum-only one. A chev dist. conversion works great.

3. SixFour

SixFour
    from So cal

Who sells the dist. Conversion?

4. young'n'poor

young'n'poor
    from Anoka. MN

Gmc bubba here on the hamb is the guy to goto for your distributor. With a completely stock bottom end in a daily driver for your first flatty, I would go the offy or Ed. Regular 2x2 to avoid having to move your generator, even though the regulars aren't as good as the super duals...

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

5. SixFour

SixFour
    from So cal

Any idea how much hp improvement heads and intake would make? Maybe cam?

6. chaddilac

chaddilac

I've never heard of a 8BA Merc?

7. SixFour

SixFour
    from So cal

What would it be called? I thought the merc/ford flatheads from 49-53 were the same, like I said, I'm brand new to flatheads.

8. Nailhead Jeff

Nailhead Jeff
    from fresno

Run 2x2xs, Offy regular works nice. Jet the holleys with 53's or 55's you can try to run the stock power valves but if it has a bog off idle you will need lower 4.5 vacuum. Usually stock cam engines run OK with stock 8.5 power valves. If you have a tight budget and your engine has its original EAB heads you can mill them .060. This puts compression in the 8.25:1 range. Stock vacuum distributors can be recurved to work well with dual carbs. The pins that the springs anchor to can be rotated with pliers. Back off the tension on the top spring and tighten the lower spring tension a little. The upper spring controls the rate the timing advances and the lower spring controls your total timing.

9. Before you spend a bean on the flattie, get and read Flathead Facts by John Lawson. This will save you a bundle of money by getting the best bang for your buck. JWL spent a lot of time and effort with a dyno, and his book tells you what works and what is a waste of money. Lots of surprises in there!
    http://www.flatheadv8.org/jwl.htm is the link to get it.

10. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

8BA is Ford. 8CM is Mercury.

11. chaddilac

chaddilac

It could be a merc with ford heads on it, the only way to tell is to measure the stroke... I think you could do that easily if the motor is buttoned up just pull a plug use a dowel rod and rotate the engine and measure it that way.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

12. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

As said,..ALL 49 -53 are 8BA blocks,...With the Mercs you have a 4" stroke, and the oil pan has a factory installed "windage tray". That, and the carb are the only major differences.

If on a budget (aren't we all) 2x2 intake manifold, the aforementioned chev dissy conversion, and Fenton headers. 12 volts will crank and light it off in good order.

Happy Roddin' 4TTRUK