Register now to get rid of these ads!

1959 NHRA Nationals @ Detroit

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chevy454, Nov 7, 2008.

1. chevy454

chevy454
    from Ozarks

I saw a thread covering the '58 Nats on here, and people seemed interested, so figured I had better do my part and post some '59 Nats stuff I've collected over the years...

2. chevy454

chevy454
    from Ozarks

Here's an original water slide decal...

Attached Files:

unclescooby likes this.
  3. chevy454

chevy454
    from Ozarks

And here's a regular participant decal...the gentleman I acquired it from couldn't authenticate it's originality 100% as it was in with some other vintage decals he ran across, so for now I'll call it a reproduction...

Attached Files:

4. chevy454

chevy454
    from Ozarks

Here's an original program from the '59 Nats...I've only seen a couple of these...

Attached Files:

5. chevy454

chevy454
    from Ozarks

A "Drag News" paper from '59, covering the event...

Attached Files:

6. chevy454

chevy454
    from Ozarks

And, the very reason(s) I became interested in the '59 Nationals...Ken Barnhart & Ted Harbit. I've became "friends" with these guys over the course of my racing career, and through conversations with them found out they raced each other in the finals of E/Stock way back in 1959...Harbit was the winner, Barnhart was runner-up.

That is Ted in the picture on the left, next to his post-'59 Nats Studebaker, his original "Teacher's Pet"...he ran an earlier Stude in Detroit, but unfortunately doesn't have any pictures.

In the picture to the right below is Ken...this picture is of Ken & the very car he raced in Detroit in '59, and was taken by his mother when he stopped by her house...I *believe* the car is a '39 Caddy? Don't shoot me if that's wrong...!!

Attached Files:

7. Cool stuff, thanks for posting. Is that the Stude that became the Chicken Hawk?-MIKE:cool:

8. chevy454

chevy454
    from Ozarks

9. Stu_Norman

Stu_Norman
    from Wisconsin

Awesomely cool stuff! Thank you for scanning and posting the images.

10. chevy454

chevy454
    from Ozarks

I should add, I'm not the one selling the program, just ran across it...

11. Anybody got pictures of this event??? Thanks for posting.

12. 4tford

4tford

These are from the 59 nats

Attached Files:

13. 4tford

4tford

A couple more

Attached Files:

14. metalman

metalman

I have the soundtrack from the 59 Nats! 28 tracks of the top cars warming up and taking off, put out by Riverside "Sounds in Motion" Records. This album was at my parent's house when I was a kid, I have no idea where it came from. Recently found it in a box while we were cleaning up Mom's estate. Kinda cool to listen to, my brother burned it to a CD for me.
    img028.jpg

15. EVANS and 3 97s

EVANS and 3 97s

If you would like to see a video,look on youtube under ingenuity in action. As you watch this great film,and notice a blue 34 roadster called CONFUSION,Ive been fortunate to own it since 1970. But watch the film,its a good source of what went on.

16. 4tford

4tford

one more

Attached Files:

17. chevy454

chevy454
    from Ozarks

I've had a couple guys ask if I had pictures of their cars @ the Nats, so if I get a chance I'll scan the pages of the Drag News coverage, and maybe someone can recognize some cars...

18. '39 Lasalle

19. A little known fact is that Buster Coach started his career at Dtroit Dragway when Ed Eaton wanted to check the crank in Buster's car and buster would not let him. So Buster could not race, so Ed made him the starter for the 59 Nationals. This was told to me by Ed Eaton.
    George

20. chevy454 ... cool thread ... but get ready to be inundated with Private Messages and/or E-mails ... when I started my "The 1958 NHRA Nationals" thread (click HERE), I was overwhelmed with PM's from HAMBers wanting higher resolution copies of my pics, programs, etc.

21. wally bell

wally bell
    from VA.

Harold Ramsey out ran everyone in S/S with his Fuel Injected '57 Chevy......

22. I knew a guy who was there, but sadly, he died a few years ago...

23. I thought Barnhart's car was a Caddy. He ran a 55 Chevy in a lower stock class after the Caddy. I heard he won so many trophys, that he sold them back to the Oswego drag strip. I knew a guy, Bob Busse, who built a 41 Caddy for a lower class and won his class at the Nationals one year. Bob raced a 50-51 Ford before the Caddy.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2013
  24. Mike53

Mike53

My brother went in 1960,I still have this.

[​IMG]