Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Model car Sundays 3/31/13

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by halfasskustoms, Mar 31, 2013.

1. Rindy

Rindy
    from 43351

Another 1/18 diecast Willys I chopped up... a phantom Sedan Delivery. Got rid of the straight axle, running modern A-arm front suspension, a 400" Pontiac V8 with a Turbo 400. Made the delivery body from a '40 ford panel that was a very poor 1/18 reproduction so I didn't hesitate to cut it up. Had to widen the rear part about 3/8" in order for it to fit to the Willys coupe body, which I hacked off just behind the doors. Tied it all together with industrial-strength epoxy & finished it off with the usual automotive body filler. Cutting the groove in the delivery side for the chrome strip (extra Willys hood chrome) was a bit of a challenge, but it helped having access to a machine shop (back before I lost my job). I really like working on the diecast stuff instead of plastic like when I was a kid. Hope someone can enjoy these!
    Rindy :cool:

Attached Files:

2. Rindy

Rindy
    from 43351

Brewsterg6, what scale is that Hubley '32 Chevy? I wanted to pick up one of those old Hubley metal model kits I saw at an antique mall in southern Ohio but when I went back there for it, it was gone! Maybe you got it! ;-)
    Rindy

3. brewsterg6

brewsterg6

Rindy, it was a long way from Ohio! It is a 1:20 scale. The detail is not all that great for such a big scale, but I'll add some wiring and gas line to spruce it up a bit. Here's what I bought...

Also, that Willys Sedan Delivery is cool!

[​IMG]

4. 60galaxieJJ

60galaxieJJ

awesome!

5. ...I've got a Hubley 32 Chevy coupe kit for sale if interested, PM me for details; ...it's a new un-started kit. $22.00+ shipping
    2nd one up in middle
    [​IMG]

6. artus

artus

sweet paint .. !

jason where do the graphics come from .. :confused:

[​IMG]

7. GaryB

GaryB
    from Reno,nv

8. Jason_C

Jason_C

Thanks. And found them on ebay.

9. Rindy

Rindy
    from 43351

rusty1, if that Hubley 32 Chevy coupe was 1/18th scale, I would buy it right now. Everything I have is 1/18th and I'm always looking for unusual stuff, most of what I have is American cars & trucks, and I prefer the older stuff (pre-'49). The hubley kit I looked at in that antique shop really didn't say on the box what scale it was, but it looked pretty close to 1/18 Guess 1/20 like brewsterg6 said is a tad smaller...
    Rindy

10. brewsterg6

brewsterg6

Here's a pic to compare with the size with 1/25.

[​IMG]

11. Fugly Too

Fugly Too

Leon, displays are a good way to start moving up the diorama totem pole. The thing about building something like a shop or garage is they are quite simple to do with basic stuff available in craft and hobby stores, and really don't cost that much to construct.

Some kits came with some cool extras like toolboxes, ramps, trophies, etc.Heck, there was one kit, I think it was a tractor pull kit that had a cooler, kids wagon, bicycle, even a dog!

I built this display board in 40 minutes using a piece of leftover plywood, 2400 grit sandpaper (non-slip surface!), dowels left over from a shelf kit and popsicle sticks. I used Elmers wood glue to stick it all together.

Attached Files:

12. philo426

philo426

13. halfasskustoms

halfasskustoms
    from Durham NC

Great turn out guys.......I will say that, That gold 32 was the Sh_t.....Real nice man. And that mettel flake green mopar gasser was very kool lookin.

14. musclecars

musclecars

you guys want diorama,then diorama you get.Sorry for the late postings,was busy the last couple of days.Here is where I started on it,this is right after I painted the flat black so it's not that shiny now.First up is Fast Eddies used car lot.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I replaced the building in the first 2 pics with the one you see here.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. musclecars

musclecars

Here is the local Texaco station,will be adding a couple of rods at the gas pumps to simulate gas being put in the rods.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here it is lit up at night.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also have another gas station and am in the process of putting in a new diner,so stay tuned for those,and thanks for looking.

16. musclecars, very cool very large diaroma someday im going to build one of them ive started a few but never finished them but ive been collecting pieces and parts soo.. its just amatter of time

17. fat141

fat141

Yep, that's a diorama alright.

and a bloody beauty too. Thank you for posting,
    Cheers
    Rod

18. musclecars

musclecars

Thank you gentleman for the comments.This has been an on going build for the last 8 years and it seems it never stops

19. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

That looks like fun to do. I need to set up a room for that someday. Winters get a little boring here, and that might be a cheaper break from what I've been doing, ha.