Register now to get rid of these ads!

'63 Tempest/LeMans

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by highoctane460, Mar 30, 2013.

1. highoctane460

highoctane460

That's a thought...the '64 actually has a conventional drive-train, I could sell the 454, build up my 421, or build another 389 like I had in the past...could be a doable thing, what's she look like Nat Williams ?

Thanks,
    Mark
    [email protected]

2. highoctane460

highoctane460

Thanks for the input, but I have read that in 1963 they (Pontiac) had used a "beefed-up" version of the trans-axle, they even named it.."Tempes-Torque" it was also the same unit that was used in the 14 SD Tempest and LeMans used in drag racing, actually two (2) units put together with a custom iron piece turning into a 4-speed auto, that actually used a clutch for starting out and then up-shifting automatically. Weird yes, but they did beat the snot out of a lot of guys in the early 60's.

Thanks again for the input,
    Mark

3. highoctane460

highoctane460

Thank you for your input, the idea of doing just a rear-end transplant and conventional transmission and drive-shaft has been in my mind, and the uni-body should hold up so long as I did some frame tying.

It's just the thought of a very light weight car with some serious HP that's got my gear-head swimming...ya know ?

Thanks again,
    Mark

4. leon renaud

leon renaud
    from N.E. Ct.

The Tempest transaxle is not Corvair based this gets brought up a lot in our Corvair forums. Corvairs use full size Chevy 3 and 4 speed gear boxes and Power Glide boxes the tail shafts are removed from the transmission in the Corvair so the PG looses the park position the Differential has a special case but the gears are full size chevy stuff also. The fact is that late model 65-69 Corvair diffs and transmissions stand up quite well to V8 power with kits available to bolt a V8 to them either in stock location to the rear of the car or mid engine it was and still is a common swap 65-69 Corvair use half shafts like the Corvette short tube drive shafts the Tempest and Early 60-64 Corvair used the tiny splined torsion bar type axles about 1 1/4 around these very seasily would shear off at the junction of the spline. He could infact use a Corvair rear in the Tempest but would still have to deal with the drive shaft set up To keep it front engine. The later Vette transaxle set up would be better.

5. Fugly Too

Fugly Too

If you're gonna put that much grunt in it, do it right and back-halve the car. Stick a big Pontiac in it with a Glide and go NSS racing.

Done right they can be a lot of fun.:D

Attached Files:

6. highoctane460

highoctane460

If I could find a wrecked late model Corvette, that would be an awesome swap for the rear, knowing what power G.M. is putting to the ground via the new Vettes. If I find one that would be affordable enough, I may just have to continue with this pipe-dream.

Thanks guys for all the great input and advise/ideas...great stuff, and enjoying this site !

Mark

7. highoctane460

highoctane460

This would keep me in the "good" with my fellow Pontiac gurus, they may kick me around if I were to drop the BBC in there anyways. The back half idea is what was done to the $226K eBay Tempest/LeMans find back a few years ago, I think it was a Stan Antlocer racecar.

Would make for a great "nostalgia" car for Nostalgic Drag Races here in KY at Beech Bend Race track, they've been doing it for years, would have to paint her white and do her up right...great idea.

Thanks again for everyone's ideas and input,
    Mark

8. Ok now your stepping very far away from keeping everything else original.
    Big move and anything will be possible if you are willing to do that. For me it's hard to justify cutting up any complete car. I'm going to guess that since you wanted to keep the OG equipment that most of the car is complete and just requiring a little more oomph ???

9. highoctane460

highoctane460

Hey there, the LeMans is actually 100% all original with 27,218 miles, one repaint, no body work ever and no rust anywhere, original bucket seats, and "loop" carpeting...I'm just a little on the borderline side of nuts for power, and building this big block had me dreaming-up crazy ideas of a really quick car with great weight transfer.

I believe I will keep the car original, maybe find a great trade and go from there, for now I will keep my eyes open for a light weight Chevrolet to drop the BBC into, which is actually a 482cu.in. 12.7:1 completely balanced and race prepped engine built for E85, and or E98. Built with all top notch parts and just sitting on the stand lurking to be unleashed onto the blacktop.

Thank you and everyone for your great input and advise...looks like the LeMans will stay in one piece for now,

Mark

10. jesse1980

jesse1980

Yeah, that 454 or anything will tear that drivetrain up. I have a 63 421 4 speed Catalina that I'm restoring now, if you go with a nova or something else let me know if you don't trade for the 64 on this thread, I'm looking for a 63 tempest to clone a super duty. I live in Indiana . Good luck either way you decide to go man.

11. jimbousman

jimbousman

"Thank you and everyone for your great input and advise...looks like the LeMans will stay in one piece for now."

Good Choice!

12. CutawayAl

CutawayAl
    from MI

I have read stuff posted on Corvair forums about the transaxle. Some of those people are very confused. The Corvair and Tempest drive the transaxle from opposite ends, and in a different manner. That means there are obvious differences between the two units. But...... the later Corvair transaxles and the Tempest transaxle are essentially the same design, and share most of the major components. At least some of the '63 Tempests got some heavier duty components, but those were just upgrades to the existing design. As I recall the manual trans was an adapted Saginaw. Both the Corvair and the Tempest could be easily be modified to accept a standard input shaft/gear from the conventional trans. That's what Crown did on their V8 conversion, and that's what several people did to make mid engine cars using the Tempest transaxle. None of the manual or automatic transmissions were the heavier-duty units used on the more powerful of the full size cars.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2013
  13. tjs44

tjs44

Bring this back up.A friend put a 63 421 HO 370 HP engine in a 63 326 auto tempest.He kept the factory street tires and never broke anything with it.The 3 speed would not hold up well with the 326 HO.If your going to race it or put fat sticky tires on it you will need to do a tran-rearend change.I had a stock 389 303 HP in front of the 326 auto with street tires and never broke the rear.Tom

14. I have a very good 57 Pont. rear for ya!I bet it is close to the right size,has alll the best parts in it and is a 4-link! Yo might be able to see it in my avatar...

15. spiderdeville

spiderdeville
    from BOGOTA,NJ

454 shred th350 and 8.5 rears