Register now to get rid of these ads!

1928 Model A value & frame question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by abefromen, Mar 25, 2013.

1. abefromen

abefromen

Have a chance to pick up a very clean complete running and driving '28 Model A sport coupe.........I have never owned one and was wondering what a fair price is? Guy selling it is open to offers.

Also, if I do get it I may make it a street rod. Can the stock frame be used with modifications? If so what mods would it need?

2. 1931modela

1931modela
    from montana

pssssssssst........the search button is your friend

3. alchemy

alchemy

Way too general of a question. Could be worth $1,000 to $15,000. We need details and pictures.

Yes it could be hot rodded. Yes it would need some mods, but that depends on the style of hot rod you want to build. Could go from mild to wild. Are you mild or wild?

4. abefromen

abefromen

Pics.....

I want to make it safe and reliable and be able to use it at highway speeds. Definitely thinkin SBC with a 700R4 or 200R4 o/d trans.

Although being a sport coupe the top couldn't be chopped.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 25, 2013

5. Fenders

Fenders

The mods the frame would need depend on your ideas for engine and trans... you are giving no clues so how can we help you?

6. dude
    its already is a hot rod
    banger with 2 carbs and an aluminum head
    on second thought don't buy it....you would ruin that car
    street rod
    geeez

7. TULSA

TULSA
    from Tulsa

He said sbc...

Id keep that banger in there. Looks sweet!

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

8. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

If you're going to drop a SBC in it, box the frame from the front x-member to at least the firewall. Highway speeds? Better plan on upgrading your brakes too. You'll need to convert the closed rear driveline to an open driveline. And forget the "street rod" theme....think "traditional hotrod".....that's how we roll here. If you street rod it, we will hunt you down and beat you like a drum. :D

9. manyolcars

manyolcars

As always 'value' is determined by how little the seller will accept and how much the buyer is willing to pay and this 'value' is DIFFERENT IN EVERY CASE.
    There is no one price fits all. This is not Walmart

10. abefromen

abefromen

Always an option I guess.I wouldn't necessarily rule it out.

11. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

Dude. Congrats for getting into this stuff. That car rules. Please don't put any modern garbage in it.

You can definitely chop the top. Just have to know how.

If you were to come up with a nice flathead, you could make a killer AV8 and even run a 5 spd behind it.

It's a special coupe but here's some inspiration. I would like to call attention to the lack of disc brakes, flathead power, wishbones, etc...

[​IMG]

12. abefromen

abefromen

Excellent idea! If it can be made highway safe and reliable retaining the original driveline then all the better.

13. Pop-Rodder

Pop-Rodder

man...that car doesn't need a damn thing...pinstriped dash, mooneyes decal, red swirly shift knob, it's already a traditional hot rod. Buy it and DON'T change it! That thing is major sweet!

14. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

Yup, based on the pictures, that car is already well on it's way. Nice Riley hop up parts on that banger.

Hey Ryan, I've done my part spreading the gospel of traditional hotrodding today. Can I get a happy face? :D

15. oldolds

oldolds

If you have to ask the questions you asked about building this type of vehicle and have the $$'s it should take to buy this car ytou should just buy one with an 8/auto in it already. You will save money and aggravation.

16. Fenders

Fenders

To answer your original question of what it is worth in its current condition -- depends on location and condition, around here maybe $5K to 7K... but in my opinion it is up to the seller to start the negotiation with a price.
    What'd he say?

17. abefromen

abefromen

I just may keep it as is if I get it and just do a brake upgrade and some other safety related things........it does look damn cool as is.

What would be a fair value for this?

18. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

Around here, it would probably fetch $10G to $12G as is. Restorers around here love them (early sport coupes). So anything less than that would be considered a smoking deal here.

19. Tnomoldw

Tnomoldw

$10,000 what is he asking ?

20. bigvinny

bigvinny

that thing is sweet. I would upgrade the brakes and cruise that bitch.

21. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

The only thing that car needs is big n little bias plies, or at least a larger tire out back..

Don't turn that hot rod into a street rod. That's moving down the food chain.

22. abefromen

abefromen

23. black 62

black 62
    from arkansas

no shortage of stock looking A's---sport coupes look great chopped---don't change anything till you enjoy it for a while...