Register now to get rid of these ads!

'63 Tempest/LeMans

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by highoctane460, Mar 30, 2013.

1. highoctane460

highoctane460

Help with suggestions on installing a 454 Chevy into a '63 Pontiac LeMans and keeping all the other original drivetrain...rope-drive and rear mounted trans-axle. Help me out guys, someone, maybe several have done this already, I would really like to see some input.

Thank you

2. ADVANCE1

ADVANCE1
    from Ohio

nooooooooooooooooo

3. black 62

black 62
    from arkansas

it will fit---but...

4. agrezy1

agrezy1
    from tn

man this brings some memories back !had a convert with a 326 blew the trans axle twice .finally sold the car guy i sold it to cut the floor pan with the trans hump out of a nova i belive.and used a nova rear end with some fab work dont know if he ever got it going but i know i hated the trans axle...lol

5. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

6. BOBCRMAN

BOBCRMAN
    from Holly

Had a roommate in college with a 389 in a 63 wagon. Destroyed the trans three times in one year.:(

7. jangleguy

jangleguy

8. blyndgesser

blyndgesser
    from Georgia

The rope drive will last just long enough to knock a hole in the floorboard and kill the driver. Seriously.

9. I broke an axle in my mom's bone stock 63 Tempest GT With a 326! You won't get out of the driveway before that rope driveshaft wraps itself around the car like a giant squid!
    Build a square tube frame, or sub frames front and back and install a 10/12 bolt, or 9" and a regular transmission. You can make the big fella fit in the hole, but I guarantee the rest of the stock drivetrain will turn to glass.

10. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

One of my favorite cars
    If I was doing one id convert to traditional drive train …. and never again put a chevy in a Pontiac.

I had a BBC in one of my GTO’s …. not only was I constantly ridiculed by the Pontiac guys they owned my doors

11. young'n'poor

young'n'poor
    from Anoka. MN

If your gonna do all the work to put a 454 in why not go all the way and put a normal drivetrain in? Realistically you should sell the car and buy something else to put your engine in if you're set on a 454...

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

12. leon renaud

leon renaud
    from N.E. Ct.

Don't do it! the 326 V8 came only with a powerglide trans and in my 63 1/2 Lemans convertable it would snap axle shafts like they were match sticks (Actually they were!) as a 16 year old kid My favorite junk yard would actually pull and hold tempest axles for me when one came in!. If I had the car today I would install a Vette independent rear and drive shaft set up if I wanted to put in more motor but I got to tell ya I think out of all my daily drivers I loved the Tempest vert the most and would like to find another.

13. That's never going to make it around the block .
    You'll brake something between the flywheel and wheel studs .

It's sort of like putting a 18" pipe on your 1/4" ratchet.

14. jesse1980

jesse1980

I suggest you stay with a Pontiac motor.

15. jesse1980

jesse1980

Oh yeah and for real power your gonna want to go with a 57 to 61 olds pontiac rearend.

16. highoctane460

highoctane460

Thanks Advance...I kinda thought I might get that...LOL !

Thanks again for your input,
    Mark

17. highoctane460

highoctane460

...but...I get it, I should avoid this one and shoe horn the 454 into something else...

Thank you,
    Mark

18. highoctane460

highoctane460

I think this would be the only way to get actual power from the front to the rear without destroying the drive-train.

Thank you for your input,
    Mark

19. highoctane460

highoctane460

20. highoctane460

highoctane460

That's a very scary thought, never gave that any thought, other than possibly possibly turning the rope into a large pretzel...LOL, never the death thing, but it could easily do that at say easy 2,000rpm-3,000rpm become something from a horror flick !

Thanks for your input and insight as well,
    Mark

21. highoctane460

highoctane460

Thanks for the input, I actually thought about the Vette rear swap since there is so much room under there, out back. Be an easy way to keep the IRS and be able to put more power to the ground.

Thanks again,
    Mark

22. highoctane460

highoctane460

Thank you for the input, that much work would put me in the "dog house" for spending that much time in the shop, I spend a lot of time in there now, but a whole frame job...whew, I'd love to do a super car build like that !

I better stay away from doing that big a swap for now.

Thanks again,
    Mark

23. highoctane460

highoctane460

I have thought about running a conventional drive-train in the LeMans, and I totally understand the Chevy in a Poncho idea, I would catch all kinds of grief from the locals at the cruise-inns and car shows.

Thank you very much for your input and the side note,
    Mark

Last edited: Mar 31, 2013
  24. CutawayAl

CutawayAl
    from MI

If you had ever gotten a good look at the drivetrain components on those cars the question would have answered itself.

The '61 - '63 Tempest was closely related to the Olds F-85 and Buick Special of the same years. Although I have never done it, parts mountings, and maybe some body structure from one of those cars would put a conventional drivetrain/axle in a Tempest. The stock Buick/Olds axle wasn't a heavy-duty piece, but it held up ok in a Chevy big block powered F-85 a friend of mine put together. The power steering box wouldn't clear the engine but a manual box and a little grinding on it worked. The stock two piece driveshaft was barely adequate in everyday use. An upgraded one piece replacement takes care of that.

I don't remember the exact weight, but they were light cars.

25. Revhead

Revhead
    from Dallas, TX

There are lower cost ways to getting a bigger engine in there. It doesn't need a "frame job". I know a guy who is using S-10 leaf springs in back. I'm pretty sure he used the same mounting locations for the front of the spring as the original control arm mount. Not sure what he did for the rear spring perch, but he wasn't blowing a ton of money and it was working out pretty nicely from what I saw.

There aren't any Tempest differentials that can handle any decent amount of power. They all have 7" ring gears. The powerglide trans was the strongest trans, but both of the manuals were fragile.

26. highoctane460

highoctane460

Thank you for the input, I believe you have the right idea on putting the 454 into something else...I'll start looking and keep the LeMans the way she is, been a good running and driving car, just wanted to add some more wow to her I guess...oh well, it was just a thought.

Thanks again,
    Mark

27. NAT WILLIAMS

NAT WILLIAMS

I will trade you a 64 Tempest for your 63. 2 door post.

28. highoctane460

highoctane460

Thanks for your input, especially the 18" cheater bar on a 1/4" ratchet...that's about what it's sounding like with the idea of applying that much power to the "rope-drive".

Thanks again,
    Mark

29. CutawayAl

CutawayAl
    from MI

The Tempest transaxle was Corvair based. Knowing that should help put things in perspective. There are some things that can be done to make them a little stronger, but they can never be more than what they are.

30. highoctane460

highoctane460

Hey Jess, thanks for the input, I believe I'll stick with the Pontiac power, and leave the whole drive-train alone...sounding like it's going to break evrything unless I go the route you mention with the rear-end.

I'll look for another small car like a Nova or Camaro to drop the BBC into.

Thanks again,
    Mark