Register now to get rid of these ads!

Another Barn find.. Little Christmas present to myself.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by iFlip, Dec 24, 2012.

1. iFlip

iFlip
    from San Angelo

I've just been doing little stuff while trying to find someone to help me figure out these wiring issues.

Been playing around with the wheel colors..
    [​IMG]

After seeing RoyBoys wheels I kinda wanted to try them. Of course it'll be a lighter blue and possibly have some flake. Just getting ideas, which i still may run the caps.

[​IMG]

Kind of cleaned up the chrome, but I think it can still be brought out alittle

[​IMG]

I know it's not much, but just doing what I can. :eek: Also I'll be ordering the tires tonight. 215/75/14(ew Radials I know) with a 2 1/2 inch white wall.

2. Redlighting

Redlighting
    from Tn

Looking good.:cool:

3. iFlip

iFlip
    from San Angelo

Ok guys, need some help.

I changed out the resistor and it still won't start, just sounds like it's not getting fire. The resistor just smokes, and gets cherry red. However if you put the wire that plugs into the resistor and put it on the pos side of the coil, it'll arc..so that tells me it's getting power no? Do you guys have any suggestions?

4. 54Buick48D

54Buick48D
    from Maryland

The resistor will smoke when first used. It will get cherry red. This is normal. Eventually it will stop smoking and work as designed. The resistor will break down 12 volts to 9-6 volts when the engine is running. It helps prolong the ignition coils life. However, it is possible the coil gets 12 volts when cranking. This assists starting. This is how it works for my 54 Buick. Yours should be similar. Try to find a repair manual. These are invaluable. Usually eBay has a used one to purchase.

PS. Don't start moving wires around from the resistor to the coil. It will cause arching as you have experienced. Also, pull the distributor cap. Check for condensation. Dry the cap it there is condensation. The points could probably use a cleaning. Use a small peace of sandpaper or a nail file. Points will oxidize over a period of time just sitting.

5. iFlip

iFlip
    from San Angelo

It has new cap, rotor, points & condenser, coil, plug wires, etc.

I was just moving the wire around as if i was bypassing the resistor. I appreciate it though.

6. 54Buick48D

54Buick48D
    from Maryland

The resistor will smoke for a bit then stop. I don't think this is your issue for the no start. Did you check for spark at the spark plug end of the wire?

7. iFlip

iFlip
    from San Angelo

No I haven't will do today. Also have one of my dads friends coming over so hopefully it'll be running today. If not I may just take it to a shop, really want to take it to LSRU

Got the tires in last week, and added a little custom touch to the wheels. My plans are to eventually make this into a mild custom.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Closer up shot of the fogged wheels. Done with rattle can, but meh they work.
    [​IMG]

8. KustomCars

KustomCars
    from Minnesota

9. My little brother and I *almost* bought a 56 Chev 4 dr when we were in high school, circa 1981... I had forgotten about that until seeing your car today... Yours is so much nicer than what we were looking at that I am *almost* glad my parents wouldn't let us spend the $50 for it!

Your car is looking great!
    Brad

10. SwedeVedette

SwedeVedette

Wheels looks great!

11. dr dodge

dr dodge
    from tomball tx

wiring help:

check 12 volts going to resistor.
    as stated, 6-10 volts out of resistor
    check that the wire from the points to the coil is not shorted to ground
    disconnect that wire from coil, and the resistor should NOT light up. if it does, shorted coil, or the 12 volt resistor bypass it ignition switch (or starter sol, depending on where it comes from) is shorted.
    check that points are not shorted between contact points (seen this before, with new part)
    crank engine, with cap removed, and watch for spark jump across points (then its good)

good luck, and nice car in barn find

dr

12. Liam-B

Liam-B
    from Melbourne

Looking good!

13. iFlip

iFlip
    from San Angelo

Thanks alot guys

Got it to spit and sputter once again. The points were closed :eek:, even though I know I gapped them, lol. Just waiting on the carb rebuild kit to get here and *knock on wood* it should be in running condition then.:cool:

14. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Get you some dist. cam lube to put on the cam in dist. Most likely it's dry and wearing down the block on the points if they closed up. Lots of times the grease will dry up and get abrasive when a car sits up for years.

15. xhotrodder

xhotrodder

If you decide to go the mild custom route, and take that V-bar off your front bumper, you can get around $300 for it if you include the bumper guards with it. A buddy had one, and he put it on Ebay, and guys called and called on it. Just a little info for you.

16. iFlip

iFlip
    from San Angelo

Wow, thanks. Good to know. And will do dirty old man.

Here's a photoshop that was done awhile back. Scallops will probably be a different color, and roof will be laced, but it's a rough idea.

[​IMG]

17. Jay Tyrrell

Jay Tyrrell

I love barn finds!
    Jay

18. Fairlane Mike

Fairlane Mike

Would look good that way!! Be careful about pouring fresh gas in the tank, you may have to clean it, they drop very easy. I use paint remover, let it sit for about a day, rotating it on all 4 points. Flush good with h2o, it will need to be coated. I like Bill Hirsch's tank coating. Good luck!! Mike.

19. iFlip

iFlip
    from San Angelo

Sorry for the lack of updates guys, life's gotten in the way.

Anyways i bit the bullet and bought a new carb since none of the rebuild kits seemed to have one of the diaphrams. Got it all on today, and nothing..it just spins and spins and spins. :( Its getting spark and fuel..but it seems to be pumping air up out the carb. Another thing that kinda worried me was there was whiteish smoke coming out the dipstick tube and oil cap. What could that be a sign of?

Really showing my lack of knowledge here.:eek:

20. Fairlane Mike

Fairlane Mike

Well, it may be a sign of something more serious with the engine, did it run at all? I know you had trouble getting spark. An easy thing to check is the timing chain, put a wrench on the front pulley bolt, it's fairly big; 7/8 or 15/16, turn the damper "counter clock wise", when looking at the front of the motor. Pull the distributor cap, have some one watch the rotor, turn the crank the other way, when the rotor moves, stop! I forgot to mention, make a mark you can reference to, you can clean up the timing marks on the front pulley and line up 0 with the pointer. Because what we are doing is checking how much "slop" or play is in the chain! The car may have jumped time or have so much slop it won't run right. But if the engine has a lot of "blow-by", which is what you saw coming out the filler cap, it may have internal problems. Rings, or even a broken piston. This may be the reason the car was parked in the first place. Cars are usually "retired" because of 2 reasons; a wreck or mechanical issues. Keep us informed! P.S., you might want to go ahead and do a compression check too.

21. iFlip

iFlip
    from San Angelo

We got it to run for just a second awhile back, but it was just off the gas we poured down the carb.

22. kyvetteman

kyvetteman

What a cool story and the car is bitchin', all four doors and all!

As you can see from my avatar I'm kinda partial to moredors!

23. 58 Yeoman

58 Yeoman
    from Lacon, IL

The exhaust isn't plugged, it it?

24. Mart

Mart

Yeah, but that's running nonetheless.

It's a start.

Mart.

25. superbowl01

superbowl01

totally great fine and the History is awesome. Great to hear more of his tales as you continue

26. Barn Find

Barn Find
    from Missouri

That car would look great on the road!

27. 60widewhitez

60widewhitez

28. iFlip

iFlip
    from San Angelo

Sorry for the lack of updates, kinda got bummed out on the car and stopped messing with it. Then I just got a wild hair yesterday and decided to pull the motor and trans for a rebuild. Will take some pics later.

Sucks I'm not going to be taking the car to LSRU, but we'll see what parts i can find for it there. :D Happy easter ya'll.

29. chstitans42

chstitans42

Dude! Your find is almost identical to mine! other than mine is a Chevy and yours is a Ford!! I had a few problems getting mine to run, but it can be done! Check out my thread and post up what you think! It would be interesting to get these two cars together one day since we both are close to dfw!
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=782085

30. iFlip

iFlip
    from San Angelo

For sure! I plan on having it all over Texas. I'm sure we'll run into each other.

Well Here's a little update. Pulled motor and trans a couple weeks ago, and I've ordered a ton of stuff in the past week. Motor will hopefully be back this week or next. Taking the trans in tomorrow, should take just a couple days.

Bought some aerostar springs to lower the front, I'm having a hell of a time getting the lower ball joint out to drop the A-arm though. Have 3 inch lowering blocks on the way aswell. Putting a new MC and rubber brake lines on too.

Dropped the gas tank and to no surpise it was full of sludge..New one should be here tomorrow. My plan is to have the car driving in 3 weeks, we'll see how that goes though. :eek:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Not many pictures, but meh. Oh and i picked up some cross bar caps while at LSRU.