Register now to get rid of these ads!

Looking for old pictures of a 55 Chevy from SF

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ciscokid, Apr 30, 2012.

1. ciscokid

ciscokid

I am the current owner of an old 55 Chevy drag car from the Bay view district of San Francisco. The car is called the "Fifty Dollar Trick". I believe it was raced mainly at the Fremont drag strip in the late sixties and early seventies. The base color of the car is orange with other psychadelic graphics. Any info or pictures is greatly appreciated.

2. 55chevr

55chevr

I suggest you post a photo of the car today. Guessing it is your avatar but that is a bit small.

3. ciscokid

ciscokid

The picture of the car is in my albums. I'm having issues with my computer so it's hard for me to post shots on the thread right now.

4. ciscokid

ciscokid

5. Here are some pics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Nice well built car from the looks of it.

[​IMG]

6. ciscokid

ciscokid

Thanks for posting the pics

7. Not a problem

Seems like there was a car resembling this one in Castro Valley in the later '70s or early '80s. I do recall a car along these lines and for whatever reason castro valley sticks in my mind.

8. ciscokid

ciscokid

Man this is good stuff! Thanks for taking the time to check out the post.

9. ciscokid

ciscokid

10. studefreak

studefreak

cant help you on the history but thats a cool 55 !!

11. mikes51

mikes51

Long shot but you might want to ask at the "tic tock, sf" facebook group. Alot of the Bayview district guys street raced by the draw bridge on third street. There also on third street was a tic tock drive in/ hangout.

http://www.facebook.com/groups/82190736492/

12. 55chevr

55chevr

A 55 with those wheel wells should be able to identify ... sharp car.

Joe

13. oso64

oso64

just took a look at the pics.unfortunatly this is not my dads gasser.his was the sister car for blown hell.it was green, thunderbolt hood scoop, radiused rear, straight axle with hair pins and transversed leaf, shaved and smoothed firewall and fiberglass flip front.looked through my photos and film footage, i couldnt find any of this car.good luck, nice though. Jimmy

14. ciscokid

ciscokid

Thanks for taking the time to help me out. I'm positive some one out there will recognize the car and or have an old picture of it.

15. oso64

oso64

i am suprized royalshifter or kiwikev haven't chimed in.they both have a huge library.i'll keep my eye out on any info.Jimmy

16. ciscokid

ciscokid

17. ciscokid

ciscokid

18. ciscokid

ciscokid

[​IMG] another picture of the car the day I bought it. Sat in the garage for 30+ years.

19. hwy2hell

hwy2hell

cool car i also have a straight axle orange 55 from sanfranciso. my dad bought it in 1974 while in the marines. i still have the car. it had a 427 and four speed when he bought it. there was no name on the side of it though. he bought it from the guys mom who was storing for him while he was gone. and she said he raced it at fremont. i will have to post some old pics of it i would love to talk to the original owner, i have allways wondered if he wants to know were its at.

20. hwy2hell

hwy2hell

i just talked to my dad he said his car was built in brisbain at a place called als fittings, and the guy he bought it from was oriental, thought maybe this would ring some bells

21. The announcer for Fremont is a member here .... I gots CRS but someone with gray matter probably knows who I am talking about.

22. GalenY

GalenY

Cisco Kid, yes, I remember "The $50 Trick"! It belonged to a Black pimp in Oakland. Hence the name "The $50 Trick". Back then sex with a working girl was $10, so to have a $50 Trick meant you had super primo girls. I met the pimp a few times because he either parked and stored his 55 at a huge garage called "Downtown Garage" in Oakland which later the owner of the garage was arrested for dealing massive amounts of cocaine! Go figure! Your car was very well known in Oakland. Back then there weren't many Black hotrodders except Rudolf Henderson (the biggest cocaine dealer in Oakland), Big Willie Hudson (Rudolf and Willie were friends and bodybuilders), Corky Buzai and Reggie Jackson. There were some well known Black hotrodders in San Fran' in the old days. One owned a goat called "GTO Joe UFO", another was a 57 Ford on an axle named "747". Chinatown 55's were Yellow Peril, Mellow Yellow, Underdog and a primer painted "Prime Suspect".

Last edited: Apr 3, 2013
  23. GalenY

GalenY

The place that built the tube axles was called Al's Automotive" in Brisbane. He's since moved to Grass Valley and retired. He was also known for his spindles to lift the front end and made beautiful lift bars. Hotrodders use to have tiny oval "Al's Automotive" decals (silver color) proudly displayed on their wing windows.

24. fat57

fat57

That's sweet ride I now own the 55 gasser THE HOOKER we in the middle of a rebuild ,,See-ya Mark jones

25. ciscokid

ciscokid

26. ciscokid

ciscokid

27. ciscokid

ciscokid

28. ciscokid

ciscokid

Some more recent shots of the car. I'm almost there! Just a lil more money $$$$$$

29. _sir_charles_of_reno

_sir_charles_of_reno

Let me talk to a buddy of mine, he used to drag at Fremont in the 60's and 70's.

30. Mick Coyne

Mick Coyne

Did somebody say Al's lift bars out of Brisbane ca?
    Here's my friend's 55 with Al's bars,
    Mick

Attached Files:

Deuces and AHotRod like this.