Register now to get rid of these ads!

I need Edsel help..... Ed over heated yesterday

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 61unib100, Mar 24, 2013.

1. 61unib100

61unib100
    from Alpine, Ca

So I have a 1958 Pacer with the 361 and I need new radiator hoses because its got some old flexible hoses, do they make molded hoses for these cars anymore? Also, this car only has the idiot light for cooling and of course it doesn't work so my question is, where is a good spot on the cooling system to put in an after market sending unit? Thanks in advance!

2. George

George

Did you ask the local parts house about the hose? or... take your old hose down there & see what matches up. Temp sending unit..the OEM location would probably be good.

3. 61unib100

61unib100
    from Alpine, Ca

I have never owned an edsel before so I am not too certain on the original location on this car, I should probably get a repair guide. I have not taken them off yet but I guess doesn't matter what car as long as they fit right?

4. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

X2. Just take hoses and OEM sending unit down to your best local parts house and see what they can come up with. No need to work around the sending unit when you can probably just replace the original one a lot more easily. Why make more work for yourself? You might also check the signal lamp connection and wiring between too. A lot of times stuff like that is just loose connections, etc. If still mostly original, you can bet the 60 year old wiring is in less than optimal condition. But, a lot of it is just checking and cleaning connections.

5. 61unib100

61unib100
    from Alpine, Ca

I'll for sure head to the auto parts store with the hoses but the major issue I have is that the Edsel doesn't have a temp gauge just an idiot light on the dash that says if its over heating but that doesn't work, the car doesn't have the stock sending unit it the motor anywhere. Just curious if anyone knows where the stock one goes or a good spot to put one in. The car has an after market temp gauge in it but not hooked up yet, which is why I am asking where a good spot to put the sending unit is. Thanks for the replies though!

6. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

You can usually to your auto parts store and take your old hose with you. Match the curves to hoses they. I did that with my '32 and bought a couple, one as an extra. Sending units for after market gauges are often time in the head or intake. Look near the thermostat housing. (at least in Chevys anyway)

7. BobMcD

BobMcD

Rock auto shows a flexable upper and a molded lower from Gates and Goodyear.

8. 61unib100

61unib100
    from Alpine, Ca

I found one plug in the T-stat housing, looks small but I think I can taper up to the size I need. Ghetto!

9. Do a proper introduction and join the hamb. HRP

10. 61unib100

61unib100
    from Alpine, Ca

I did but how come my avatar doesn't show up and it says guest? I'd like to become official.

11. slammed

slammed

May be on a probationary period. You DID take advice and do an proper introduction, didn't you?

12. 61unib100

61unib100
    from Alpine, Ca

Sure did. I just don't post too much, more of a looker and find all my info with search.

13. carnut341

carnut341

I had a 58 Edsel Ranger in the late 60's. The engine was a 361 cuin. which is nothing but a Ford 352 with a bigger bore. So, any info on the Fords would work on the Edsel. I even put the three speed tranny in a 63 Mercury Marauder.

14. 61unib100

61unib100
    from Alpine, Ca

Ya thats the beauty of it drive train is easy but body and interior is not fun. Luckily the car is mostly complete.

15. 61unib100

61unib100
    from Alpine, Ca

I'm just not certain where that is on this motor, I haven't had an FE motor in years so my eyes are going crossed trying to think so hard.

16. Ford blue blood

Ford blue blood

Not exactly, the 361 was a 100 vice 90 degree engine with a 4 3/16" bore and a 10.5:1 compression ratio. Many FE parts will swap....but not all!

61uinib100 the temp switch on the Ranger and Pacer has a cold and hot terminal. Both indicator lights are in the lower right side of the dash.

Attached Files:

17. 61unib100

61unib100
    from Alpine, Ca

Ford blue blood, that is exactly what I was hoping for! Thank you very very much! It's hard to find edsels around town to look and see how they should be set up.

18. 61unib100

61unib100
    from Alpine, Ca

Well I got a new radiator today and was in the process of hooking up the temp sending unit to the top bypass port from the water pump to the intake manifold and the bung broke out of the passage!! Now what do I do??? I am going to attempt to slip a hose over the whole thing but does this brass piece just punch into the manifold or?? Please help

19. 61unib100

61unib100
    from Alpine, Ca

Also, If I were to replace the intake manifold will any year FE intake work on the 361??

20. 61unib100

61unib100
    from Alpine, Ca

21. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

Just buy a new bypass tube and press it back into the intake manifold, unless the hole in the manifold is toast, then you are downstream in a canoe with out a paddle.

Any year intake manifold will work as long as it is for low riser heads (95% of all FE intakes). Stay away from high riser and tunnel port intakes (the other 5%).

Last edited: Aug 16, 2013
  22. 61unib100

61unib100
    from Alpine, Ca

Thanks for the reply. I would rather avoid pulling the intake off so can this be pulled with channel locks or some sort of garage tool? And does the new one need to be machine pressed?

23. edsel.fi

edsel.fi

I took old rusted one away, then I put new bypass tube one to freezer for 1 hour, then I hammered new one.. Still holding there, done that 3 yrs ago .

24. 61unib100

61unib100
    from Alpine, Ca

Ok cool I am going to try to slip a rubber hose over the entire bypass tube and hook it to the water pump. If it doesn't work then I will be have to try and replace. Thanks everyone for your quick responses!