Register now to get rid of these ads!

302 starting issues. Fuel system?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by GarageKustomsMagazine, Mar 28, 2013.

1. I am helping work on my dads 68 galaxie. 68 was the first year for the 302. We cannot get the damn thing to start. We have blown the fuel lines, put on a new fuel pump, new filter to the carb and an inline fuel filter aswell. Every inch of fuel line has been blown out clean no clogs. Car does not have a sending unit I don't think. It has fresh gas in the tank. When takin the rubber line off of the fuel pump, it makes a sucking noise, like it is relieving pressure off the diafram in the pump......could it be a defective fuel pump?

The guy we bought it off of said he had drove it shortly after an engine rebuild and it has been sitting for ten years before we bought it. The only thing I can figure is if the new fuel pump is defective. We don't get get gas up to the pump. Priming it she will run. The only damn thing I can figure is a defective fuel pump. Or an airlock in the fuel line somewhere.

Any help is appreciated because this damn thing is killing us. HELP ME!

1shot

2. nvm boys we got it.

1shot

3. Well, I thought I had........on this 68 does the fuel sending unit just work the gauge, or does send fuel to?

1shot

4. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Remove the coil wire and disconnect the fuel line at the carb. Put it in a catch can and have someone crank the motor. See if you are getting fuel flow. Have a fire extinquisher there just in case.

Don

5. Ok, and if we're not getting any what does that mean bad sending unit?

1shot

6. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

If there is a vacuum on the suction side of the pump, inside the tank, on the suction tube, there is a screen/filter to keep junk out of the pump. They can plug up. With the vehicle outside, remove the gas cap, disconnect the line from the tank at the fuel pump, connect an air hose and blow short spurts of at least 60 psi air. This will blow gasoline vapor out of the fuel cap so make sure there is no ignition source close by. It will either unplug the filter or blow it off the tube. After doing this you should put an inline filter between the tank and pump in case the filter came off.

7. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

It doesn't send fuel but the pickup tube is attached to that sending unit.

8. TrioxinKustoms

TrioxinKustoms
    from Romney, WV

I always run them off of a jug under the hood before I ever try the gas tank... A few feet of rubber hose saves a lot of head ache.