Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features 1940's period correct customs

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Django, Dec 8, 2009.

1. J.B.

J.B.
    from Sweden

Frankie, please learn what style your car is... :cool:

2. This was posted by Marty Strode in the Vintage Roadster thread.
    Check out the 3W in the background. Custom grille, smooth hoodsides, '40 headlights, De Soto bumpers.

[​IMG]

3. It still doesn't belong on this thread and just continuing to repost pictures of it is not going to change that fact.

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

4. Loads of stuff posted in Interesting Images From Old Magazines thread.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

6. englands54

englands54

1941 plymouth business coupe

Attached Files:

BigO likes this.
  7. swissmike

swissmike

Very nice. Plymouth sure got it right for 1941! Passed a 40-41 Plymouth Woodie today on my lunch break. Great looking cars.

8. Throttle Stompers in Burbank plaque were just painted metal

9. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

So this isn`t a custom because nothning is shaved? It is to me.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2013
  10. BESHAN48

BESHAN48

48sled.jpg

My 48 im working on.

11. spiders web

spiders web

I'm just starting a 40's custom and this thread helps to rev me up. Thanks guys!

12. Has anybody got any opinions/suggestions on the license plate mount and position on the Bud Unger car?
    I've been battling with a position on mine and kinda like this one.

[​IMG]

13. Django

Django
    from Chicago

In 2013 terms, I would tend to agree with you, but you have to place yourself into the context of the 1940s, which is the whole point of this thread. It doesn't take much to turn a bone stock car into a '40s style custom because the radical modifications were few and far between at that point.

Felix 40 likes this.
  14. nifty

nifty
    from UK

I'm liking it Clark, post up a photo of the rear of your 36 as it stands now so we can all see what's causing you sleepless nights.;)

15. swissmike

swissmike

Well said. I doubt people in the 40's would have argued whether a lowered car with skirts was a street machine or a low rider or a rod.

Zed- thanks for educating me. Let me know when you're done playing with toy cars.

16. backyardbeliever

backyardbeliever

What a truly beautiful car...Less Really is more with 36 roadsters

17. Great pictures!! Keep them coming.

18. Sledge

Sledge
    from Nor Cal

Great thread. Lets get it back on track!

[​IMG]

19. ausbuick

ausbuick

ahhhhhh thats better

20. Zed

Zed
    from FRANCE

hell yeah ! THAT is On topic ! thanks sledge for building such a beauty :cool:

21. justabeater37

justabeater37
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

How about at least stealing some pics off of the internet of some customs from the 40s to get things back to normal here

Attached Files:

22. shoebox1950

shoebox1950
    from California

I can't get enough of this chop....it really is perfect. What a beauty, Kevan

23. DKroadsters

DKroadsters

There are many ways to chop a Mercury ;-), but what a wonderful picture

Attached Files:

24. 'Mo

'Mo

Finnrodder posted this beauty on another thread. I believe it belongs to HAMB'er radio king

[​IMG]

Felix 40 and SicSpeed like this.
  25. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

26. DKroadsters

DKroadsters

Great looking car Radio King!

You guys from Finland really make some nice classy Kustoms, Congratulation!

27. mkilger

mkilger
    BANNED

ok back to top, lets get this thread going, no more 54 chevy chop posts lol

28. Rikster

Rikster

I came across this really great and rare color photo of Earl Bruce his 1940 Ford on a blog called http://irishrichcustomcycles.blogspot.com/.
    This is the info that came with the photo, most of it comes from an American Rodder article on Bruce.

"Earl Bruce poses with the Armored Car in front of his bar The Big Top, located at 5336 Sunset Blvd., just East of the 101 Freeway in Hollywood, sometime in the '50's.

Earl Bruce bought his '40 Ford brand-new in Downtown Los Angles, in Sept. of 1939. He walked into the Ford dealership, looked at the car, said "I'll take it", and handed the salesman a $1,000.00 bill. The salesman was stunned, as was everyone at the dealership who looked at the note, all having never ever seen one. But the salesman went to the finance office, got the paperwork sorted, and returned with the title and $45.00 change, then he filled up the '40 with gas for Bruce. Nice gesture....

Earl was asked how long he had the car before he had the custom work performed, and he said "About 18 minutes", which is the time it took him to drive over to Jimmy Summer's shop with it. As with the dealership, Bruce told Summers "Chop the top 4 3/4", fill the quarter windows, and shrink the back window". All of which Summers did, along with removing the running boards, flaring the front fender edges into the body, filling the grille's side panels, rounding the door corners, shortening the drip rails, fashioning the rear fender stone guard panels, and having Chuck Porter fill the hood, and punch it full of louvers...no small task. All the work was done in metal, and by that I mean there was no lead used as filler in the modifications whatsoever. Once the work was finished up, the car was dubbed "The Armored Car"

Once Bruce had the custom work finished up, he then went to work punching up the Flathead V-8's performance. This was no "lead sled', it went as well as it looked. Bruce went 120 mph in 1949 in it at El Mirage dry lake, with the timing plaque affixed to the dashboard to testify to that fact for anyone who doubted it."

[​IMG]

29. Very cool post,thanks for showing us.Glad to see this nice color pic.........they weren't all Burgundy ;)

30. Cool pic Rik. Nice to see some color shots. Interesting that a picture of this car it showed up in this months Rod & Custom as well. I wonder if that is what brought it to the surface again.