Register now to get rid of these ads!

Lowering a 52 Coronet

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by yamahondarider, Mar 29, 2013.

1. yamahondarider

yamahondarider

Hey guys! I got myself a beautiful all original 1952 Dodge Coronet with 66k original miles. I intend to keep it mostly stock with a few little things. First, I'd like to lower it. Only about 2-3 inches lower and keep stock wheels/hub caps. Anyone know where one might find springs to lower the front? Also, if there are drop blocks to space the rear end further up from the leafs?

Heres some pics of my new ride:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. cut one coil off the stockers for a couple inches or so.

You can buy the aluminum block kits for the rear, or make em yourself from heavy wall box tube

3. yamahondarider

yamahondarider

Good advice, I was thinking of cutting coils but didn't know how it would affect the ride. I know for more modern vehicles they sell coils that are shorter and designed to give the same ride height. I'd pay to get those if they exist? Also someone mentioned using Ford Grenada springs...

4. yamahondarider

yamahondarider

Also, as far as drop blocks, am I looking for center stud drop blocks? how wide of stud needs to be coming out of the block? 1/2 inch? I can't find anything specifically for Coronets but theres a lot of stuff for 57 chevys and such

5. TrioxinKustoms

TrioxinKustoms
    from Romney, WV

I lowered a 2 door.. flipped the main leaf spring.. maybe a few more. cut 2 up front, lowered it about 4 inches.

6. yamahondarider

yamahondarider

What do you mean by flipping the main leaf spring? As in, bolting it in upside down so it bows up rather than down?

7. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

8. yamahondarider

yamahondarider

You sir, are a hero! Front springs with good handling that I can buy replacements for instead of cutting up stockers. Sweet :cool:. once I figure out what I need to lower the rear I'm ordering these! :D

9. TrioxinKustoms

TrioxinKustoms
    from Romney, WV

Yes, I removed one or two as well if I remember correctly.. Although I'm sure blocks will work just fine.

10. yamahondarider

yamahondarider

I'm gonna guess it was a rough ride? How much drop did it give you in the rear? if I can find drop blocks that fit I'll probably go that route

11. TrioxinKustoms

TrioxinKustoms
    from Romney, WV

Yours looks pretty low already, I'd cut one coil and remove a leaf or two.. No money spent.

12. yamahondarider

yamahondarider

Are these stock or are they some sort of ancient drop block? If so its only about an inch. she needs to come down another two inches.

[​IMG]

13. GearHead614

GearHead614

i built lowering blocks for my 54 Pontiac, used Heavy wall 2x4 square tubing and drilled a hole in the center and put a Grade 8 bolt in it then grinded down the head so it would work as a centering stub, worked great! But your Coronet looks pretty low already

14. yamahondarider

yamahondarider

Thats why I was thinking of only dropping it two inches, it is pretty low. I also need to get some seat belts and front tires on this thing.

15. Scott F.

Scott F.

I had a 53 coronet and i think i bought my front lowering springs from a place called springs -n- things or something like that. I spoke to someone there and told them what i wanted and it wAs reasonBle too. Made blocks out of solid aluminum block with appropriate size socket head cap screw threaded all the wAy in using the head as the centering pin.

16. yamahondarider

yamahondarider

How wide is the hole for the centering pin? I found some cheap drop blocks with a 1/2 inch pin

17. TrioxinKustoms

TrioxinKustoms
    from Romney, WV

remove a few leafs and cut a coil.. Like I said, its free and if you don't like the leafs you can always put them back.

18. yamahondarider

yamahondarider

I'm really not into the idea of removing leafs and such, but cutting the coils might be wise. But I still want to go with drop blocks in the rear.

19. Those aren't lowering blocks, those are your spring perches. The block will go in between the perch and the spring.

Also, don't go buying the aluminum blocks off of the shelf. Most dodges of the early 50's have 1 3/4 wide springs and all store bought block kits are for 2 inch wide leafs.

20. yamahondarider

yamahondarider

Crap. Off to go take some measurements.

21. George

George

Make sure you can get your tire between the drum & the fender in the back!

22. yamahondarider

yamahondarider

Okay, I do have 1 and 3/4 inch leaf springs. I guess its time to find some drop blocks for that size. Also the diff diameter is 3 inches so I need U bolts for that width

23. 73RR

73RR

24. yamahondarider

yamahondarider

I'll definitely be buying the block kit from coolstuff. Actually, your the 2nd person to reccomend me, go figure! must be good.

Now that I have the back end sorted out, How much do I cut off the front springs? I want about a 2.5 inch drop in the front. I'm going with the 2 inch blocks on the rear.

25. yamahondarider

yamahondarider

Does anyone have any links to a thread or a video or a website showing how to dissasemble the front end to get the springs out?

26. TrioxinKustoms

TrioxinKustoms
    from Romney, WV

I don't think you even have to undo the shock on that car to get the front apart.

27. A set of 3 inch lowering blocks should do you just fine. About 20 bucks at any Pep Boys or Auto Zone. And for the front, cut one coil to give you a couple of inches of drop. All that is a cheap and easy way to go.

28. yamahondarider

yamahondarider

I'm trying to decide between 3 or 2 inch drop blocks. I'd like to be able to cross speed bumps and stuff since its a daily driver but I want it low. I guess finding a nice medium is where I need to be. Its at 7 inches of clearance at the bottom of the body to the ground, I dunno if dropping it to 4 inches would pose a problem crossing stuff

29. Thats a risk you run when lowering a car. When i lowered my Buick it scraped when i pulled into my driveway, but other then that it wasn't too bad. I used 3 inch blocks on that as well.

30. yamahondarider

yamahondarider

Well I guess its gonna be go big or go home then. I'll probably end up doing 3 inches in the back and two in the front aka cut one coil.