Register now to get rid of these ads!

TECH: Butter Dish Air Scoops for Drum Brakes

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by good_ol_boy, Oct 2, 2008.

1. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

That looks great. Scoop mounted long ways? Yuck. And I do agree that there should be some place for air to escape. (easy enough)

Was looking at a friends Norton drum brake yesterday and it had this really great bezel around the opening with the screen behind it – right at the opening of the scoop. Just something to consider. As it is you might pick up the random bit of debris inside the scoop.

But really, nice job.

2. GARY?

GARY?

You sir are a genius!!!

3. hugh m

hugh m
    from ct.

Wheelbarrow,saw it on a gasser once.

4. I already drilled the bottom edge full of holes... and I actually plan to drill more... I just haven't decided the pattern, size, or where. I had a tough time committing to these. Those backing plates weren't cheap! I just hope is doesn't sound like flute or some shit.

5. panic

panic

That's probably best, because it will also blow out any rain water, dirt etc. that will find its way to the bottom.

6. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

I don't think you'd really need much more holes for escaping air than you already have.....it's not like the drum to backing plate fitment is air tight......

7. panic

panic

But you don't want it to escape through the center because it won't pass the shoes and most of the drum surface. It should take the ,longest possible path - opposite is best, and the more complex ones have vanes and splitters to force the air through the shoes.

8. chaos10meter

chaos10meter
    from PA.

That is really nice , good job.

(the one I made,I used a plastic butter dish held on with duct tap (didn't look so good)

9. dotcentral

dotcentral

I noticed those also, I had a 70 F100 with Sears tires, unfortunately they were dry rotted and had to be replaced. After your comment I can picture the my 3 sons gang in the Sears Automotive waiting room waiting for the car to get new tires.

10. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Best fucking Tech thread ever! Really cool thinking and you can count on my vote.

11. The tires came with the coupe when I bought it. The guy said he thinks he bought them new in the late 60's or maybe early 70's... but he never finished rebuilding the car, so they've never been on the road. I will probably never use them either, except for mock ups. The car sat for years in the back of a welding shop in the mines, so the tires are all stained from the iron ore. Here's a pic of the set-
    [​IMG]

12. just walked through petco with a friend of mine and couldnt help from noticing this stainless scoop m assuming for food but would work the same. alittle different shape but call it character. cost like 3 bucks, im sure there are dosens of things that would work great for this....

Attached Files:

13. wicked willys

wicked willys
    from ne ohio

very nice!!!!!!!!

14. wheres the butter now?
    love the scoop ideer ...

hijacking here ...try these too
    stainless cocktail shaker/smoothie blender cup for exhaust tips

3 tiered candy dishes of polished aluminum that work great for air cleaner cover i have 3 matching sets..

and a large aluminum ribbed thermos for a overflow catch can

huge turkey roaster thats square of stepped aluminum for a battery cover

look at buffet serving pans and covers

garage sale_kitchen raiding ? rodding tech is well and piling up in my garage

oh ya ..... the childs size toy steel wheel barrow works great for firewall recess..

15. whid

whid

boy there sure are some smart F'rs on here.looks too damn cool man................dave

16. Roadsir

Roadsir

....mmmmmmmmmmmm Grain Belt.

Great Tech. That looks great.

17. breeder

breeder
    Member Emeritus

what he said!!!!!!!:cool:

18. WelderSeries

WelderSeries
    Alliance Vendor

19. texdesoto

texdesoto

Is it butter or Parkay?

20. Doctor Destructo

Doctor Destructo

Smoooooth as butta. (Sorry. Couldn't help myself.)

21. Clutched

Clutched

Right On man. Top notch

22. daveymac405

daveymac405

classic :)

Last edited: Mar 29, 2013
  23. Hotrodray

Hotrodray
    from Sweden

Sweeet! I like these lobuck tricks! Ower here thats called IKEA hot rodding!

24. brady1929

brady1929

25. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

fucking genious!!

I love it when quality old threads pop up

26. Cool, I almost forgot about this thread since it's so old. I only did this thread for the '08 Tech Month. I was surprised it was taken good by so many.
    It's good that this thread still exists, because I need to make atleast 1 of those scoops over again. One side uninstalled got lost when all my stuff was moved to my dad's garage. I just found that I still have 2 of those butter dishes uncut, in the bottom of my tool cabinet... so I'll be makin some more scoops, probably slightly different front.

27. fatkoop

fatkoop

I was just thinking about IKEA. They have some great stainless stuff that could be put to much better use than in a kitchen! And cheap, too.

28. Devin

Devin
    from Napa, CA