Register now to get rid of these ads!

I hate fabricating brake lines

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dane, Mar 29, 2013.

1. Dane

Dane
    from Soquel, CA

There I said it. I feel like I'm cursed or just stupid. I don't mean the hand bent funny looking lines but the perfect bends and straight section line that looks like a machine did it. You know the ones that have to wrap around the axle and the ends are at odd twisted angles. Especially the 7" or less lines that have to be straight on the ends to fit the fairing tool. What are you old timers doing to nail it on the first try?

[​IMG]

2. Lube the bender with 20 years experience ?
    Or run couple thousand feet thru it .

Cunifer line has made things much easier

3. Bagged50Buick

Bagged50Buick

Not an old timer, but use coat hanger wire or welding wire first to get your beds just right then re-create it with the brakeline.

4. I just buy extra line. Then bend the second the oppistt direction.

5. I use cloths hangers to fabricate the bends. HRP

6. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

Lots of swearing and buy 2-3 times the amount of line you think youll need.

7. Drive Em

Drive Em

Understanding the deductions on the tubing bender will go along way towards getting the bends exactly where you want them. Measuring carefully, planning the route that the line has to go and experience are what it takes. It is also kind of an art form, as you have to imagine what the finished line is going to look like.

8. GREASER815

GREASER815

It does suck. I used extra line from messed up bends as well. I just pushed to stop trying to be so perfect and it was the last thing keeping me off the road so I was real motivated. Stick to it, youll be happy when its done and never think about it again.

9. good bender helps, I love doing them!

10. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

Once you do it a few times it gets easier.

11. 55willys

55willys

Mesure the length to the outside of the bend and line it up with the end of the curve for 90 degree. Double check the direction of your bend before you bend.

I modified a bender so that the flair nut sets at the start of the bend and made steel inserts to fit inside the line to extend it down to the stop on the bender. And yes I still make mistakes and bend the wrong way when in a hurry.

12. Put a scrap piece of line in your bender, bend it 90 degrees and mark the dye at the center of your bend. When you are laying your lines out on the chassis and marking the line where you want the bend, just line up those two lines for the bend.

13. Poesrodandcustom

Poesrodandcustom
    from Kentucky

Lol

14. Thats what I do also. I use that trick for tubing also.

15. pecdaddy

pecdaddy

I do the buy extra method.

16. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

Traditional brake lines are supposed to be all fugly looking. That's why I do mine that way.....that's what I keep telling myself, anyway. :)

17. fossilfish

fossilfish
    from Texas

I like to bend the lines and make them look really good..I even teach my students how to do it...They have competitions making double flares and bending lines..they get pretty good.

18. gearheadbill

gearheadbill

Following this advice will help a lot. True.

19. Hotrodbuilderny

Hotrodbuilderny

Take a bunch of 4 inch pieces, mark where you are starting and bend different degrees and then save them (tag with masking tape. Now when you are ready to bend a line put the bent piece where it will be going and transfer the line onto the piece you are bending.

20. Years and years of bending 1/2' and 3/4 " EMT ... plus the high school days of bong making .. lol. But nothing like a great finished product.

21. TERPU

TERPU

Hello Dane,

If you really want ot be good at this it'll take alot of practice, no other way around it. Buy extra for sure. Take your tme and a coat hanger is a great template. Go buy a good bender for the size tubing you are using that's probably number one. Next is a good tubing cutter that leaves a clean edge. Then finally a really good flare tool. Sometimes you can get by with cheap stuff but this isn't one of those times. If you can't afford the best new stuff I have found alot of really good ones at our local used tool outlets.

Here's a few little tips I have been taught along the way-

For good bends a little WD-40 on the bender and line makes alot smoother and helps the tool transition.

Leave the curves a little long and then cut the part to be flared to fit.

When you cut the line take a light file and take the burrs off for a smooth edge it'll make flaring it easier.

When you flare the line don't smash the shit out of it. Leave a little gap between the single and double flare areas (or the place where the line is doubled back on itself in the flare face) this will help it seat against the nipple when tightened.

Most of all be patient and don't try and save a piece that you messed up and wind up spending an hour on something that'll never get "there". Use it for a loose pattern and move on.

When you get the brake lines down then you'll be onto multiple carb lines. Way more fun and alot more visible.

But most importantly if you can't get it call for help. Lord knows you don't want to be the guy who's brakes go out because it isn't right and take out a car full of Nuns. Wouldn't be Prudent, not at all.

Tim

22. Works for me........ Just do not get it bass akwards......

23. 1948plymouth

1948plymouth
    from Minnesota

Now that's funny ---- and true

24. jcapps

jcapps
    from SoCal

takes practice. I do a lot of stainless and I try to not waste it. Practice and you will get it. The trick is to use a quality bender and know what the markings on it mean

25. fatkoop

fatkoop

I have a large collection of "prototype parts" (scrap metal) that I have collected over the years. Still almost never get it right on the first try. Take your time and practice, practice, practice.

26. tjet

tjet
    1. Early Hemi Tech

27. The37Kid

The37Kid

It's fun, and it looks good when you're finished as long as you remember to put the fitting on before you flare the end. :)

28. KICKSY

KICKSY

The perfect video. ;)

Dave. :)

29. Johnny99

Johnny99

Best thing I ever did was spend the money and buy a nice bender, mine's a Rigid. Nice crisp bends. Problem with me and brake lines is I do them so infrequently I have forgotten every thing I learned from the last go round.:eek:

Happy Easter all, John

30. i love doing brake lines.....but i have Ridgid tube benders and a good quality flare tool

after you have done 25-30 cars it gets easier