Register now to get rid of these ads!

Krylon primer and paint for suspension and rear axle?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 56 ford custom, Mar 29, 2013.

1. I had purchased these and have done my rear suspension (springs,backing plates) etc. I am about to do my rear axle housing and the rear of the frame. Anyone use this before? How should it hold up?
    [​IMG]

2. Pyrotechnic

Pyrotechnic

I can't speak for that brand of paint specifically, but all the rattle can paint and primer I have used pretty much SUCKS and it's all about the same in formulation and dry time. Even with awesome prep work, years later rust is starting to show and the paint is flaking.

Rustoleum red primer and gloss paints hold up a little better, but they take a LONG time to dry. If you must use a rattle can, Rustoleum is the best option and worth the wait for it to dry. The Krylon paint you have looks to be a Rustoleum copy.

One step better is a Rustoleum type paint mixed with a hardener. I know at Tractor Supply they sell a paint like this that can be used as is, or you can buy the bottle of hardener and mix it into the gallon. The hardener has isocyanites just like a real automotive paint would so wear a respirator! It's supposed to make it a little bit closer to what an automotive paint would be.

The best option is to get a cheap spray gun with a small cup, some real single stage automotive paint and primer, and the catalysts to mix in. For small jobs, a pancake to mid size compressor will work no problem. Add a water separator and a respirator and you are good to go. Sure, it does cost more this way, but the best thing is that you get a durable finish that will hold up, and you won't be taking it apart to redo it in the next few years.

I made this mistake of using rattle cans on my vehicle. For temporary touch up it would have been fine, but I will have to take it apart and redo it with real automotive paint so it lasts this time.

3. Krylon Rust-Tough is an acrylic modified alkyd enamel...basically the same thing as Rustoleum, only goes on thinner and dries faster from my experience. Should be fine, but realize that alkyd enamels have their weak points...little to no UV protection which means the paint will fade and chalk in very little time.

I've had good luck using Spray-Max epoxy rattle can primer (2 part) under alkyd with no flaking or rusting even after a couple years of being outside. I've heard HOK epoxy brushes on well, so that may be an option for you too - not cheap, but miles better than typical parts-store rattle can primer.

4. Its under the truck and won't have much exposure to the sun.

5. harleycontracter

harleycontracter

Just did all my front end and rear with the same stuff Looks great. I have used Krylon since the 70"s

6. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

I have used spray cans to paint car parts many times and it' traditional. I painted the whole frame of my truck and rear axle with black engine paint and I am happy. There are better methods but if you are on a budget or if it's just not that of a big deal to you to have the parts looking "high dollar". Spray bomb it, it's the old school way.

7. I don't think you will have any problems,,I've used rattle cans in the past and they keep everything form rusting. HRP

8. RopeSeals???

RopeSeals???

I use rattle can etch primer and semi or gloss Krylon quite often for under-car parts & chassis touch ups...

Eastwood also makes a nice spray can chassis paint that holds up well

9. I just figured its not a show truck and it should look ans hold up well. I plan to make this truck clean and presentable and drive it a while and sell so I can get an older truck

10. Best part is its easy to touch up. I think you'll be fine with that.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

11. Ok thanks!

12. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

Used the Krylon that you have pictured on most of the under carriage of my cars.
    It still looks great and dried pretty quickly.
    For ease of use and quality of finish I have found it does a more than adequate job.
    KK

13. Ford Freak

Ford Freak

^^^ x2 ^^^

14. Olderchild

Olderchild
    from Ohio

15. Now thats what I wanted to hear! Thanks

16. Haha you got me laughing.

17. Grey Kepi

Grey Kepi

We use rust-oleum professional high performance paint (from Lowes) on our Civil War horse drawn cannon. It holds up well and and goes on smooth, Yankees haven't torn it up yet, so I used it on my frame and running gear and so far it is doing fine.

18. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

I'm a fan of Rust-O-leum appliance epoxy and their rusty metal primer for underchassis stuff. I have had people swear it's powdercoat and it's pretty damn tough as well.

19. I would like to try that

20. primer

primer
    from clio mich

i also have used the appliance epoxy and it is super tough. nice hard finish

21. Cruiser

Cruiser

I worked in a paint store in my collage years and sold both Rust-O-leum and Krylon and there both very good products.

CRUISER :cool:

22. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

This is shot with Rust-O-leum appliance epoxy right out of the can on a 85 degree March day after warming the can a bit...

Attached Files:

23. zeke1270

zeke1270
    from Alberta

For a long time I've rattle canned all my frames and related parts (front axel, rear ends, backing plates, etc.). I use Tremclad, which I think is the Canadian equivalent to Rustoleum. I prep and prime then spray, really happy with the results, unless the formula gets changed I'll keep using it. Will say that with our climate these vehicles have only been on the road in summer driving conditions.

24. Limey Kid

Limey Kid

When you say "right out of the can", do you mean rattle can? If so, that's an incredible paint finish.
    Cheers,
    Stewart.

25. CutawayAl

CutawayAl
    from MI

Off the shelf spray can paint will work, it depends on what you want. It isn't as good as low end car paint.

If you want to go with spray cans a good upgrade would be; a good prep, epoxy primer, then Krylon. I have done than and it more durable than just straight Krylon. Another option, you can also get automotive paint custom mixed and put in spray cans. A good primer followed by acrylic enamel would be a lot more durable than Krylon.

26. Pimpin37zephyr

Pimpin37zephyr

Dupli-color engine enamel ceramic is the best I found. My buddy painted his jeep with it and its tough. I use it every thing. The Eastwood line of chassis coating is even better but more $$$. Wire brush, wipe down with lacquer thinner, one coat of dupi-color engine enamel gray primer sealer , then 1-2 coats of dupi-color engine enamel low gloss or ford semi-gloss and your good to go. Remember get the ceramic 500 degree type in the sliver can. Bombs away.

27. 39 Ford

39 Ford

Most hobby cars are fair weather cars, rattle cans do very well on the undercarriage of them. I have used it many times with great results. If you are into self abuse use a spray gun.

28. lahti35

lahti35

I used rustoleum semi gloss black on a car I did 9 years ago. Drove it mostly in fair weather and through a few major puddles. Still looked great the day i sold it.

29. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

I painted my frame with Rustoleum about 5 years ago and it's still going strong. I drive my T everyday, so rock chips happen, but are easily touched up.

What i like to do is brush it on. It drys smooth like it was sprayed. I'm sure Krylon is just as good.

30. falconsprint63

falconsprint63
    from Mayberry

what he said.