Register now to get rid of these ads!

SO COOL it choked you up.....?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dkmc, Mar 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OFF TOPIC..........maybe?

I'm not quite sure how to ask this question, and very not quiet sure I'm comfortable "going there"..but it's been bugging me for years now, and I guess this is a 'poll' question.

Awkward but here goes......

Do you find at times you see something or hear something that is SO COOL it overwhelms you a bit and maybe 'chokes you up' a bit?
    Maybe it even causes your eyes to well up a bit?
    Kind of a 'tears of joy' moment as opposed to tears of sadness.

It could be a picture of a really cool car, boat, airplane, (fill in the blank)
    Or it could be a song, or the sound of an engine, or something someone says that just "hits you" as being cool.....REALLY cool and it triggers that feeling.
    I never had any kids, but I am guessing when a child is born that could trigger this feeling pretty easily.

Maybe guys don't or aren't supposed to have these moments?
    Maybe only women react to things this way?

I'm asking this question on this forum because I think car guys have
    a deeper sense of passion and a lot more creativity that the average 'schmo on the street' that does not 'get it'.

Am I a weirdo........or am I feeling similar things others are about cars.....and such?

Last edited: Mar 29, 2013
  2. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

Ive had a car or two that left me with nothing to say but WOW! Never teared up unless someone shut my fingers in the door!:p

3. Boyd Who

Boyd Who

Last spring my wife was diagnosed with terminal cancer. That was pretty powerful stuff, but what happened a few times after were enough to seriously choke me up.

The first was in late June, just before her 50th birthday. We used to have a Harley but sold it when we moved to a different province, due to the extremely high cost of insurance here. We both really missed riding. My wife's boss was a biker and a really cool guy. I caught him alone one day and asked if he would be able to spare a couple of hours some afternoon to take my wife for a last bike ride on his Heritage Softail. He hemmed and hawed a minute, then said..."No". I was heartbroken, till he looked at me and added..."But YOU can".
    He offered to lend me his bike for a day so I could take her out for a cruise. I had to turn away for a few minutes, I must have gotten a big bunch of dust in my eyes. He has never let ANYONE ride his bike prior to that. I was blown away, as was my wife. I don't think you could find a nicer, more thoughtful guy.

4. 48FordFanatic

48FordFanatic
    from Maine

No...you are not a weirdo .

5. ME.GASSER

ME.GASSER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

[​IMG]It was at Beaver Springs raceway. As alot of you know we travel with the S&S Race Team. It was Margie Altizers birthday and she told the group that what she would like for her birthday would be to see her husband Gene under the wheel of the anglia and to be able to take her for a ride. Gene has some very serious injuries a number of years back and hadn't been on the track for quite a while. The anglia that Fred Bear and friends built was a tribute of the one that Gene drove back in the 60's. They fit the seat to him and everything. Well once the team got word they started prepping the anglia for Gene. Of course he didn't take it down the track but he put it through the gears even getting some smoke off the tires. All the time Margie was in the passengers seat. I don't know who had the bigger smile on their face. When the drove the car back to where we all were and they got out we were all crying like babies. It's a day that i will never forget.
    Gasser Girl

Last edited: Mar 29, 2013
  6. psychopathic51

psychopathic51

No your not alone. I had an OT 70 Gremlin that I had for 11 years, my daughter was brought up around the car, she used to help me "Work" on it by stealing my tools and putting them in her bag on her bike, used to take her rides at night before bed time, trips to the local dairy bar for ice cream....... it was what we did. I sold the car a couple years back bc I built the car into a street strip toy and had it stored at my dad's garage. Well the beer always seem to get the better of his (and friends) judgement and everytime I went to go work on it or go get the car it was always out of gas, or new black marks in the garage, or car covered in mud supposedly from moving it in and out of the garage or when I pulled in at his house and headed for the garage I would be greated at the door with "Hey, don't get mad but we were drinking the other night and I was playing with your car and ....... but I will fix it."
    Long story short I sold the car to prevent anybody from getting killed in it, I teared up watching it pull away thinking of all the memories my daughter and I had shared over the years with the car. I still kick myself for selling it but know I did the right thing at that time.

My plans are to find another one and build it with all my kids help now.

7. fat141

fat141

Not weird at all mate.
    Rod

8. norton58

norton58

I got buzzed by a P51 at very low level...did it for me.

9. Ummm yeah this story......God bless you and your wife. I lost my Mom at 55 and I remember being told to come to the hospital, being put in a room, and having a oncologist walk in and say she has high stage 4 cancer and months to live....I'll be 44 and couldn't imagine losing the woman I have been with since the age if 17 so soon. You will be in my thoughts!

10. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

If you are a man you learn to hide it.

11. MoparJoel

MoparJoel

Wow....Awesomeness...good thing Im reading this alone :eek:

12. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

So many men were raised with the belief that men don't show their emotions, and I really feel sorry for them. There have been a million times I have either had a tear in my eye or cried like a baby in my life, and I am not ashamed to admit it. Losing a loved one, even a beloved pet are events that I can't imagine going without some tear shedding. When I have had to have one of my pets put down I have not been able to keep from showing the love I had for them. Hell, I don't even like sad movies because of the effect they can bring on. :eek:

If you are a compassionate, caring, loving man you are going to feel what is going on and there is no shame or sin in showing those emotions.

Don

13. Canus

Canus

Sorry Rusty you're wrong. A REAL man has no problem showing his emotions.

14. Belchfire8

Belchfire8

Yes, there is actually a name for it, a rapture of some sort where the mere sight or sound of something will tear you up. It has happened to me while looking at a Monet painting. Nothing to be ashamed of, it just means you have a great passion for something.

15. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The United States Stars and Stripes and the National Anthem. Every time. Thank you God I'm an American.

16. lomonte

lomonte
    from Indep., MO

I've loved cars since I was a little kid, and damn near my whole life has been a fight to get everyone else in it satisfied with a tiny bit left for me and the cars. Sometimes you get a little burnt and wonder why you're doing all this.

Then I was at GG KC13 and was buying sunglasses when I heard the most godawful thundering roar behind me. I turned around and saw that brown deuce coupe that Sand Springs built with the 409 in it. I was absolutely gobsmacked. Just stopped in my tracks.

Going there was cool too, I did a frame off on my dads 70 c-10, and GG was the first time we'd had it out. Rolling 75 down the freeway with Joe Walsh on the stereo and my boys with me in a truck I built for my dad felt pretty good.

17. bb55hrt

bb55hrt
    from Michigan

X2! And amazing grace on the bag pipes. I flat out lose it. Miss you gramps!
    BB.

18. 40coupefan

40coupefan
    from Trumann,AR

Real men allow themselves to be choked up!

19. when my 2.5 year old son Noah....saw a Holley double pumper, pointed and said carburetor carburetor! in an excited voice...

20. GeezersP15

GeezersP15
    from N.E. PA

I get choked up whenever I hear the "Marine Corp Hymn". My Dad was a Marine veteran of WWII. He passed away in 1985. I still miss him.

21. paintcan54

paintcan54

I think the last time I got choked up was when my best friend of over 20 years passed away with cancer, no I didn't get choked up, I cried like a baby. Miss him every day.

22. kyvetteman

kyvetteman

Well said!

23. kyvetteman

kyvetteman

Same here. Can't see Old Glory waving in the breeze of hear the National Anthem without being overcome by emotion.

24. X2 what Don said

25. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Emotion = a sign of weakness. Show weakness and you WILL be hurt and taken advantage of. There may be times you can get away with it but we all had to learn when NOT to show it.

I don't like it any more than you do but that's the way it is.

26. Deeznuts

Deeznuts

This gets to me everytime! Very proud of our country and the people who protect it!

27. NewGuyOldFord

NewGuyOldFord

Hope you are sitting down for this one. My mom died at 51 and then my wife died at 36 3 years later leaving me with 3 boys to raise and my world turned upside down. My youngest son(13 now 15) was in a near fatal car crash(broken back and multiple facial and skull fractures) a little over two years ago and my dad has been a cancer "survivor" since he was 30. I coach Jr. High wrestling and one of my wrestlers became interested in cars once he turned 14-15. Went to Vo-tech and got his diesel mechanics degree. The phone rang when he graduated and he said "coach, I found a falcon I want to buy and will you go with me to look at it seeing how you have so many of them?" I obliged and we went to look at the car and he purchased it after I gave him the thumbs up on it. He would stop by my house 3-5 times a week after work and help me tinker on my stuff or his falcon. A year later he was diagnosed with lymphoma, testicular and brain cancer. He passed a year later at the age of 21. He always said he wanted his falcon to go with him so even with a blown head gasket and some other miscellaneous issues I worked all night into the day of the funeral on that car just so his brother could lead the funeral procession in it. Even after it boiled over 3 times(98 degrees that day) and me risking personal injury in dress clothes to keep enough water in it, Zach and his car finally made it to his final resting place. So, yes, grown men do cry. I've done plenty in my last 20 years and I'm 44 and know I have cried many times beforehand. It's what makes us human. When I hear a kid being a "punk" it makes me cry due to the fact that a good, well manored young man was taken at too young of an age. There never seems to be enough years spent with what you love.....period.

BART

28. dann57

dann57
    from Missouri

I agree

29. joeycarpunk

joeycarpunk
    from MN,USA

Definitely weird, pull up your big girl pants and get over it.
    ( NOTE: that was meant in total jest :D)
    I think there is some truth to the thought that due to the sense of passion artistically, nostalgic inclined people that collect, create or desire can create those feelings. I went into the storage building recently and viewed my first built hotrod that I've managed to hang onto for 30 plus years, thats been out of sight and mind for the winter and had my spirits raised after a particularly bad day. Little bit warmer and it's time to fire up the flathead powered roadster for sure. Seeing a particularly well done custom, hotrod or 37-41 Zephyr coupe can trigger those feelings. :cool: Makes you glad the "the average 'schmo on the street' that does not 'get it'." I would hate to see it cheapened to a army of "Von Dutch" type inspired clothing lines or the I want a "rat rod" crowd due to the popularity.

30. von zipper

von zipper

Fly overs at any sports events!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.