Register now to get rid of these ads!

1966 Chevy pickup with light problems

Discussion in 'New to the H.A.M.B.? Introduce yourself here!' started by rtmcdonald1107, Mar 26, 2013.

1. rtmcdonald1107

rtmcdonald1107
    from Yuma, AZ

We are helping a friend restore his 1966 Chevy pickup, but we can't seem to get the running lights, and head lights to stay on at the same time. As soon as we turn on the head lights, the front running lights shut off. None of the wires are bare, so could it be because the fuse box is VERY loose, or could it be the flasher being burnt out? Totally confused!! Weirdest part is if you turn the blinker on, the rear running lights flash like you have the hazards on.:confused: Any suggestions??

2. Welcome. You may want to do a proper introduction before you get flamed.

I start by cleaning every connection VERY thoroughly. I just drug one of these trucks out of the field, and it was doing nearly everything you mentioned. There's a plug where the lights go through the firewall, it needs to be taken apart and cleaned. Sometimes it also becomes worn, you'll need to use a pair of small needle nose pliers to reach in and tighten all those connectors. The problem with these trucks is that there are no dedicated ground wires, it all grounds through the body to the chassis. With a wood bed in the way, that can cause problems. You may consider running a dedicated ground wire from the frame up to the rear lights to make sure you have a solid ground. The running lights also ground through the hood. Take all the sockets apart and clean everything really well, including where they screw to the body parts. After doing all of that a few times my lights are working pretty well. For the tail lights, there is a junction on the drivers side where the wires split to run to the passenger tail light, take that apart as well, and clean all of those contacts.

As far as your headlights/running lights; I've never had one of these trucks that had the marker lights and headlights stay on at the same time. Some may, but, I don't think I've ever had one wired to have both the headlights, and markers on at the same time.

3. Skavangs49_Merc

Skavangs49_Merc
    from Sturgis,SD

It is wired wrong sounds like my old 66 chevy truck that I put all new wiring in I think i wired that part wrong. Is it a short box fleetside with a louvered tailgait?

4. mikesnyhere

mikesnyhere

I know the years are different but rewiring a 57 truck with a new harness , same symptoms turned out the switch has a non consistant connection where there is a rivet type pin holding things together was loose . I tried to tighten this rivet pin using a hammer and punch , ended up cracking the plastic . already ordered a new one so just gave it a try . good luck .

5. Skavangs49_Merc

Skavangs49_Merc
    from Sturgis,SD

I have a 66house Chevy grill chrome for that truck.

6. Skavangs49_Merc

Skavangs49_Merc
    from Sturgis,SD

66 chevy chrome grill

7. odass

odass
    from se ok

depending on which headlight switch you use , some turn the lights on when the headlights are on, and some turn them off when the hl are turned on. my 62 turns then off. its factory

8. acadian_carguy

acadian_carguy

Maybe I'm not understanding it, but if you are talking about the front running lights (parking lights) going out when you turn the headlights on, every car made before, I think it was year 1968, will do that. That's the way they were all made.

9. simplyconnected

simplyconnected

This dude is telling it straight. It's not in the signal switch, it's the Headlight Sw. Back in the day, generators only put out ~30amps. So GM and Ford tried to conserve power by turning off the parking lights when the headlight switch was pulled all the way out. My '59 Galaxie does this. So do Squarebirds ('58-'60 Thunderbirds).

Man, talk about a motorcyclist's nightmare... Imagine approaching a car with a headlight burned out and NO parking lights to mark the front end. So the DOT made all cars keep their parking lights on with the headlights.

10. Okatoma cruiser

Okatoma cruiser
    from Ms

Welcome from south ms. Make sure all your ground wires are clean and tight

11. odass

odass
    from se ok

dang never really thought about that

12. Woogeroo

Woogeroo
    from USA

I had the exact same issue on my '65 c10... took the headlight switch apart, cleaned it... same issue. dang.

I swapped out the head lights switch and I had lights!

With lights on these trucks, these are the usual suspects:

bad grounds(especially for the tail lights)

headlight switch

dimmer switch on the floor

crazy, bad and old wiring or 'previous owner' hack jobs.

I once had a melted wire 'behind' the fuse panel that was cutting out my headlights.

Another thing that will make you crazy is the stop light switch at the top of the brake pedal. If it isn't aligned 'just so' the brake lights will stay on.

Good luck.

-W

13. kirkcarleton

kirkcarleton

Welcome. I had a similar problem with 61 Chev pick up with both tail lights flashing with signal light on. The fuel guage would also sweep in time with the flasher. The problem was a poor ground between the frame and the body. Without a proper ground path back to the battery one system will find a path to ground through some other system. I don't remember were the ground is located but anywhere you can clean up a spot on both the frame and body will work.

14. mikesnyhere

mikesnyhere

installed the new switch yep the front parking turn lights go out with headlights on , good to know info . if you guys hadn't posted I would still be scratchin my head . I also bought a relay kit from lmc to take the load off the switch . it looks simple enough , I plan to run it from the starter to frame - behind grille , and under the panel there where its not seen . its bright yellow so first some black wire loom

Last edited: Apr 11, 2013