Register now to get rid of these ads!

tri bar light streetrod headlights

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jbranontn, Mar 26, 2013.

1. jbranontn

jbranontn
    from martin

Has anyone bought and used the Tri Bar Streetrod headlights sold on Ebay...if do, are the brighter than regular, sealed beam headlights? Any reviews on these?.

2. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

Wait for it, you know it's coming...... who'll be the first to say it :cool:

3. pitman

pitman

Ngo? Germ? Stinky? Anybody?

It was another sleepy day in HAMB-ville...

4. 65PANELRAT

65PANELRAT

We make popcorn here in New Mexico.

5. Forget the trick street rod stuff and go to your local automotive parts house and get some halogen seal beams,,they are bright and will look appropriate on your car. HRP

6. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

I think they look good on 50's sports cars, customs and custom show rods. And not much else. ^ get some halogens. Gary

Forgot the low riders, sorry.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2013
  7. chaos10meter

chaos10meter
    from PA.

Oh my God , Noooo, he didn't just ask that did he ?

( don't tell anyone but I have a set in one car and they are fine, but you have to promise not to tell anyone)

8. ryno

ryno

thats the problem, no one will stick up for what this place is built on.
    sorry homie , we dont do street rods here...

9. deto

deto

I will. Go away...

10. jbranontn

jbranontn
    from martin

Ok...Tell me how to delete my profile or delete me and I will.....Go away.....:cool:

11. Toughen up grass hopper,,no need to go away. HRP

12. Well, to be more traditional, the original Lucas Tri-bar headlights are still available.

CLICK HERE FOR A GOOGLE SEARCH

But if you want good lighting at a cheap price, just get a good halogen sealed beam and run with it.

13. They were in my 47 when I bought it. Very first thing to go in the sh*tcan.....

14. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

The original Lucas tri-bar lights (P700, PL700, J, etc) look really great on any classic car from "across the pond" (ie: Europe). They were even OEM on some cars (the J stands for Jaguar). I ran them on a couple of my A-H cars and even put a pair on my 65 Excalibur, but they have NO business on a hot rod on this site. This is for cars that are true to the "traditional" rods and customs that were found from the first "jalopy" or "gow job" up to the year 1964 (with some allowances for design continuation). I guess some newbies may read the rules here, but if you don't have old magazines or weren't there 'back in the day', the term traditional is pretty subjective without input from the more stolid members of this forum. Do not allow your nipples to become entangled in the wringer just because somebody on here told you to leave. You don't have to go anywhere until the mods tell you so. Review the rules, and if you have questions, try to formulate them in a manner least likely to aggravate some of the more curmudgeonly silverbacks hereabouts. We all learned somewhere from someone, and you can do the same. We really are not big fans of street rods (and yes, Virginia - there is a difference between those and hot rods) mostly because so many of them are billet-laden Visa vehicles whose owners have not a clue how to actually build anything on their own, nor are many of them capable of carrying on a cogent conversation about hot rods and what makes a car one of those hallowed conveyances.

15. 40fordtudor

40fordtudor

Propwash---I may not totally agree with all you said, but you damn well put it together well.. punctuation and all.

16. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

Don't go away, just have some discernment, they look good on nothing in my opinion, real Lucas tri-bars are kinda cool and were used historically, but the new ones have zero style and more than that they are of the most inferior Chinese quality one can get.

17. When you go to the parts house, the number you want is 6024. Doesn't matter what car, all the parts man/girl needs to know is 6024.

18. jbranmontn -----------
    Everyone is quick to jump on you but you probably don`t know why.
    The HAMB is a website dedicated to "Traditional" hot rods, therefore a question about tri-bar headlights is going to piss off some members here. This is a great place and is generally an excellent source of knowledge, but not about street rods.
    Please hang around and be cool. There are plenty of other places to chat about street rods though -- if that`s your thing.

Oh, go to your local parts store and get a pair of H6024 headlights. They will look original but give you brighter lights ( "H" is for Halogen ).

19. Gman0046

Gman0046

jbranmontn, saw your tri-bar light question on another web site. You should have left it over there and not have brought it to the HAMB. All web sites are not created equal.

20. Gerg

Gerg

I don't like them personally

Then again i drive a 4 door.....

21. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

22. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Halogen or Xenon sealed beams are the brightest of the parts store lamps.

23. While we are talking about this subject, do we want to cover whether or not halogen sealed beams draw more current than regular sealed beams, or tri-bars? Or is that for another thread? I'm thinking if we are using this as a teaching moment...

24. Moedog07

Moedog07

Yes they should be brighter than regular sealed beam headlights...

The brightness is going to be based on the wattage. Are they 100w bulbs? Then yes they are bright as hell. Are they 50w bulbs? Then they will look about the same as a parts store halogen lights.
    Re-read the ebay add and see what is listed. A 9004/9003 100w bulb will put off some light!

Also you will need to run relays with these lights.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2013
  25. RODDER 25

RODDER 25

I bought a pair of tri-bar headlights from KMJ Performance in Story City, Iowa (found them on E-Bay). They charged $15.50 shipping on the headlights.

When I got them they had some kind of sealer or glue inside the lights around the edges. I called them and all I got was the runaround. They told me to pay for shipping them back and they would look at them. I refused to pay for shipping twice. They told me they wouldn't replace them because I bought the cheapest they had, what did I expect? I looked them up at Better Business Bureau , they have an F- minus rating. BEWARE

26. jimbousman

jimbousman

Glad to see someone answered this guys original question. Gee wiz guys I know how things like tri-bar lights can get you guys knicker in a knot but lighten up. I just read four pages from a guy who bought a big old '60's Merc an no one griped about him. The Merc's a nice ride but it ain't no traditional hot rod!

27. but the big ol 60's merc is a pre 65 car ....so it fits

28. Country Gent

Country Gent
    BANNED

AMEN 57ford/60thunderbird. Seems some of these members just have to BITCH about something. Just WTF is "TRADITIONAL"??? 32 Ford, A model, T, 57 Ford or Chevy, Pre 65??? Nothing seems to be set in stone, and one can't agree with the other. RYAN, maybe you can spell it out with no variations. BET YOU CAN'T without a argument!!

29. BAREOOT

BAREOOT
    from CALIFORNIA

Might give this guy a break, and move over to cars for sale and get started on the hot rod shop thats got a mercedes listed for sale. Unless its been pulled by now.
    Foot

30. sobpunx

sobpunx

I bet the op isn't coming back,so is this thread even relevant?