Register now to get rid of these ads!

40 Merc,how much?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by DjNeil, Mar 17, 2013.

1. DjNeil

DjNeil

2. Stu Padasso

Stu Padasso

If you were watching the green one just last week, its owned by a guy in Los Olivos, near me. It is probably the best restored Merc you will find! It would be way too nice to cut up. I would imagine $28,500 was no where near Charley's reserve.

3. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

I could see that one going for about $35k maybe. I saw a Very solid complete project awhile back, looked to have been drug out of a nice dry place and it was either $7500 or $8500. it was still forsale at the end of the day out at the Roadster Show..I might be low on my assumption, but they are just like the 49-51's, alot of guys want good money for stockers, but thats the problem, their stock...

4. nifty

nifty
    from UK

You look to pay good money for a stock one, if you don't you'll be surprised at the cost of good second hand parts.

5. Hotrodbuilderny

Hotrodbuilderny

There was one in Oneonta NY about three weeks ago I would call a really good start, he wanted $2400 for it, it's gone now he also has a pretty nice 46 Chevy truck he want's $2,500 for.

6. DjNeil

DjNeil

They're too nice cut up not to cut up but I understand what you mean.
    It's the combined purchase price and then the cost of the work which makes it unafordable.
    What are the differences body wise between a 39 and 40?
    I was customising 49-51 Mercs back in the mid 80s and have just come back to it and can't believe the price of everything and then the penny dropped. A 50 merc was only 35 years old then and now it's 63 years old and a 40 is 73 years old, there's fewer of them and fewer parts
    Best
    Neil

7. 40fordtudor

40fordtudor

sounds very reasonable to me--

8. "What are the differences body wise between a 39 and 40?"

Some differences between a 39 and 40 Mercury:

39 has no vent windows in doors, 40 does have
    39 has grooved bumpers, 40 has smooth ones
    39 has straight grill bars, 40 has bent ones
    39 has wide 5 wheels (36-39 Ford), 40 has 5,5x5.
    39 has different dash than a 40 has
    39 has buttugly taillights, 40 has beautiful ones
    39 has floorshift, 40 has colomn shift
    Probably forget some, but these are the easy to identify items.

Hennie

9. Dar73

Dar73

I have been sitting on a stock, 100% unrestored original for a few years. When I purchased it years ago it had Arizona Historical Plates, probably why there is no rust. Maybe it will be a custom one day.... I keep an pretty close eye on Merc's for sale and for a solid car 30K is not unreasonable. The ones that have sold for a few thousand would cost a mint just to get them to a reasonable state.