Register now to get rid of these ads!

Battery disconnect

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hotrodmyk, Mar 27, 2013.

1. BootleggerMatt

BootleggerMatt

This is true, NHRA does require a push pull type cutoff on the positive side, and also requires you to wire the alternator in such a way that it stops powering the car when the cutoff is switched. Lookup "alternator interupt"... The logic behind this is if the car crashes down the track, the first repsonder can run up to your car, pull the battery cutoff and shut the car down. The reasoning behind the positve side cutoff is that if sheet metal happened to crush the battery and is hitting the negative post, a negative cutoff would be inefective.

My opinion why this doesn't matter on a street car, not fact...
    #1. You probably aren't wiring in the alternator interupt, just cutting a cable and putting the switch between them. So Neg or Pos doesn't make a difference. Without the alternator interupt, the car will still run if you take off the Pos or Neg cable.

#2. If you get in a crash no one knows to run up to your car and flip your switch, and chances are you didn't put it in an easily accessible spot to quickly flip it after a crash, or it's the last thing on your mind after a crash.

2. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

You are right.

3. Drive Em

Drive Em

I install them on the negative side to completely kill any possibility of a live wire in an accident. If the cut off switch is installed on the positive side, you will still have a live cable going from the battery to the cut off switch. Everything after the switch will be dead. Depending on how far the switch is from the battery, the live wire could be long enough to cause trouble in an accident.

4. Carter

Carter

I believe, technically, within the conductor (wiring) the electrons move from negative to positive. I may be wrong, though, as it has been a long time since I studied physics, and even then it was not electricity-specific.

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

5. larry k

larry k

PUT A DISCONNECT ON BOTH CABLES, NOW NOBODYS RIGHT OR WRONG ?????:confused:

6. Carter

Carter

I don't think it's a matter of right or wrong. Either will work in most cases. There are uncommon instances where both could be problematic, however, for the most part, it's just a matter of preference, or rules if you are going racing.

7. OMG, I'm putting mine on the positive side.

8. LAROKE

LAROKE

Thanx, G-son and 36roadster for the very good answers in layman's terms. It was a rhetorical question. I'd already learned that lesson in my youth in the school of hard sparks :D

9. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Guys, thanks so much for all the input.

The reason I asked the question is because I am of the opinion it should be in the ground side. (Pos or Neg ground car doesn't matter). The instructions that came with it say "hot" side, conforming with NHRA.

Bootlegger, you are right, it is a street car, not a race car.

10. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I've always put them on the pos. side, but if it's used for the street it will not be a NHRA tech issue. I use them for safety and security.

11. 40fordtudor

40fordtudor

yep---have one just like it.

12. Bluedot

Bluedot

RE Bootlegger's comment about NHRA rules:"The reasoning behind the positive side cutoff is that if sheet metal happened to crush the battery and is hitting the negative post, a negative cutoff would be ineffective." I won't argue that it's their rule, but it seems to me if if that logic was reversed and the switch is on the positive side, and crushed metal contacts the positive post, you'd still have the very same problem. Nobody knows where that crushed sheetmetal is going in a wreck. A switch on either side will break the circuit between posts, and moving sheetmetal or other parts can certainly re-complete that circuit in a hurry. What have I missed here?

I vote for the negative side to avoid the accidental wrench contact problem cited by others.

Later...Oh, just thought of one more reason for negative. If NHRA is worrying about crushed sheetmetal making contact with the negative post in a wreck, consider this. Putting a cutoff on the positive side exposes two live positive posts: one on the battery, and one side of the switch, doubling the chance of a big problem: direct ground contact with positive. Switch on the negative side, any contact with the neg batt post or the batt side of the switch, worst case just regrounds the batt neg side to where it was in the first place. Not good when you want to disconnect the battery in a hurry, but far better than very quick battery meltdown or explosion.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2013
  13. if you think about this statement, and the flow of electricity, you have a live cable/wires/system, from the battery + all the way to the disconnect on the negative cable. this reasoning is wrong.
    i don't know why, but i have always been told to "switch" hot side only. in cars, boats and houses.

14. J'st Wandering

J'st Wandering

The house example doesn't apply because house wiring has an earth ground. Car does not.

I weigh in on switching ground side.

Neal

15. boooooob

boooooob

Something to think about, maybe way off topic, why do you think they ever tied + or - to a frame, firewall, or sheet metal............because it was a better conductor then copper,,,,,,,,,,,,,NO,,,, it was to save lots of money on wires.............look at the electric grid it is tied to earth ground, the earth is not a good conductor but it is big, and hopefully wet enough,.......and saved much money...........

Everything would have been better with a positive and negative wire to all device's on a vehicle, then you wouldn't have to worry about all the frame ground BS............

Get you two high current contactors and a big red mechanical kill switch, kill both sides with one stone...

boooooob

16. G-son

G-son
    from Sweden

You are correct, as long as we're talking physics. But they had no idea about that back in the day when they first begun to figure out how electricity worked, so they decided to call one side positive, and that electricity flowed from there to negative, just as positive pressure causes a flow of gas/fluid towards negative pressure.

They got it wrong and the electrons do move the opposite direction, but since it doesn't really matter for any normal use you still say that electricity/current moves from positive to negative. In science you learn that the electrons moves from negative to positive.

17. Carter

Carter

Model A's and other early cars used a positive ground electrical system because they did know about the movement of the electrons from negative to positive.
    In the end it matters not in the context of this discussion.

18. Alfster

Alfster

Most times a cut off is put onto a car to 'save' the battery when it is in storage. Let's face it not many of us are really building competition cars.

One thing I do with a cut off switch is fit a small inline fuse accross the two terminals. This will keep things like your clock and stereo memory alive but should a short appear while the vehicle is parked then the fuse will blow.

19. it applies, you could [it's wrong] put a switch on the neutral. again, to be clear, it is wrong.

20. big bad john

big bad john

...Ditto......it is wrong

21. I always put mine on the pos. and close to the battery. Right or wrong?? been doing it that way for 49 years.:eek: Im going to bed now:cool:

22. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

Good advice Don. We killed a diode in a expensive alternator once doing that.

23. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

@ 8:17? You must be really old! :)

24. Bad Eye Bill

Bad Eye Bill
    from NB Canada

You are deadass wrong my friend. If the negative side of the battery is disconnected you can feed any positive wire to any part of the car without any fireworks at all.

25. 5window

5window

Right. Finally. Friends, you leave the grounded wire alone with the best contact you can get. If you switch the grounded wire (in most cases the negative pole from your battery) you leave everything powered with the possibility of inadvertently creating a completed circuit with anything that complwtes the circuit. No electrical profession would every interrupt the grounding.

26. tjet

tjet
    1. Early Hemi Tech

FWIW, all new BMW's are shipped from Germany with a 6' disconnect on the neg side. The dealer removes these in the new car prep procedures.

27. Bad Eye Bill

Bad Eye Bill
    from NB Canada

This is true, good points.

28. This is the reason I mount the fire extinguisher and the battery kill in a position that can be reached from the drivers seat while wearing a seat belt .
    In a nasty crash , if you can reach them both you may stand a better chance of avoiding Frying!

29. tjet

tjet
    1. Early Hemi Tech

Household vs automotive - 2 different animals.

Your logic on the neg is not correct. There's a 1000 x's more negative circuit "area" than there's positive. There's more of a chance that a battey could ground the pos post (even if disconnected) to a body panel in a crash.

30. Bad Eye Bill

Bad Eye Bill
    from NB Canada

True, but, disconnect the positive and you still have the same situation all the way to ground.

It doesn't matter which side of the circuit you disconnect there will be no flow of electricity.