Register now to get rid of these ads!

got me a 1934 ford

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by freeze plug, Jul 5, 2012.

1. pumpman

pumpman

Neat old rod man, I'm with you, don't change that much. Just make it safe. Great find you lucky dog!

2. Coo el! Wonder who/when it was built?

3. freeze plug

freeze plug
    from Canton, CT

I would love to know too! I was told it was on long island NY forever before it came to CT. The guy I got it from had it for 2 years and didn't do anything major to it, just drove it every once in a while, and he knew nothing about the history.

4. fleetside66

fleetside66

Wow..that's gonna be a fun project. I can't wait to see it with the grill dropped down to cowl height & some period gauges. I think your windshield idea will really work. There's a lot of stuff you can preserve, however. Did you peek to see what was under those army seat covers?

5. 37slantback

37slantback
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I am jealous. Yours has more gauges than mine!

Nice score. It looks mean sitting there!

6. RainierHooker

RainierHooker
    from Tacoma, WA

That thing has plenty of potential. Should keep you busy for a while. That front axle is scary as hell though, it doesn't even look symetrical from side to side...

7. Wow, what a time capsule!

If it were mine, I would try to get a top and get it back to being a coupe. I'm a fair-skinned fella of Irish heritage, and I like the shade....

Also, you have to do something with the grille shell. To me, a '32 shell looks out of place on a '33/'34. Plus, it's 3" taller than the cowl, and that looks odd.

The car is really cool, though!!

8. Damn, what a sweet ride, love that mill!

Make sure you post any changes you do!

9. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

I had a dropped and hammered axle just like that in my 28 PU. One side was dropped more than the other and one end stuck out farther. It would bend when I made a turn. After a year on the road, I took it out and put a Titus dropped axle in it's place. My older brother thinks he's gonna get it "redropped" to fix the differences in sides and then weld plates on the ends to box it in. I personally wouldn't waste my time and use it as a wall hanger.

10. NICE!! I'd be making a 3W out of it! Whats going on with the lower windshield corners?

11. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

Hey Freeze Plug,
    Congrats on the score! Very Nice find! Welcome to the Model 40 Club! Just love those Model 40's ;).

12. freeze plug

freeze plug
    from Canton, CT

by the looks of things, someone welded in that whole windshield frame section. What it is from and why it had to be welded in I am not sure, because underneath the cowl looks pretty clean in that area???

oh yeah and about that axle, it also will bend if you just flex the steering wheel one way a little bit! crazy!

I would like to find a 33/34 car grill eventually, i just stuck that grill on there for now. Yeah it will look a lot better dropped down 4-5"

13. millersgarage

millersgarage

I love the stance. Just do something about that grille, and leave the roof off.

14. freeze plug

freeze plug
    from Canton, CT

under the covers the seats are also military material. The guy i got it from thought they were from a military jeep, but a buddy of mine says he thinks he has seen similar ones in a military helicopter

15. geage

geage

{love it!!!!}

16. freeze plug

freeze plug
    from Canton, CT

havent done much yet....other projects taking up time

new tires still have to get mounted, went with blackwall 600-16 front blackwall 750-16 rear, firestones. got a sweet set of factory pinstriped 16x4" steelies from my father who swapped this set out for some wide 5's

also got a radiator with the proper inlet/outlet configuration, as well as being chopped about 5" compared to stock. waiting to install after i get a decent 33/34 grille

hairpins are getting the boot, going with unsplit bones and a nicer dropped axle now that I have 3 to choose from

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

Glad you are making some progress. Keep at it and it will all come together!

18. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

That thing is just so damn cool.

19. slick377

slick377

Nice score, got real potential...

20. Mickey One

Mickey One

Great find!That's a car that really needs to be saved.Good to see it's in good hands.

21. freeze plug

freeze plug
    from Canton, CT

progress is being made...the car is back on all 4 wheels with a new front end using a 35 unsplit wishbone with the front spring mounts cut off, reverse eye spring, new shackles and perch pins, 35 oldschool dropped axle, round back spindles and early hydro backing plates

i still need to heat up the lower steering arms for the tie rod to clear, and then I need to order up a new drag link of the proper length. I am using a generic hoop style bolt on upper steering arm to accept a 7° tapered tie rod end, and on the box I am using a 38 pitman arm with the clocking splines removed to re-center it. This also has the 7° taper instead of the ball and socket setup. So now I can use tie rod ends on both ends

22. freeze plug

freeze plug
    from Canton, CT

that being said, does anyone know the use by the name of MERKONIC ?

He posted this photo back in 2010:

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=859985&d=1262561333

I was told that my car was from long island, as is this user. I PMd him but have not heard back...looks like it could be pieces of my car in that picture. My car certainly came with those hairpins and front wheels, and it also had its roof cut off...

23. freeze plug

freeze plug
    from Canton, CT

some progress...front suspension, brakes, and steering are all done. I started cutting off that awful windsheild frame, and mounted the new radiator on a piece of channel as a cross member. 34 grill is mocked up just sitting on top of the radiator until I make mounts, which should be next week

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

patmanta likes this.
  24. brady1929

brady1929

25. Pete

Pete

It amazing what a few weeks in the garage will do for a fugly car....looking much better.

26. '37 Ford truck grille used to be a popular swap for '33 and '34 Fords back in the day..

27. JUNK ROD

JUNK ROD

28. ff1930

ff1930
    from lapeer

I like it keep up the good work

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

29. freeze plug

freeze plug
    from Canton, CT

not gonna argue that one!!! thanks!

30. gordspeed

gordspeed
    from Oregon

SEXY = Fugly - gly + ckin' A.... Nice work on the clean up! :)