Register now to get rid of these ads!

Just what is a "Hokey Ass?"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 36roadster, Mar 27, 2013.

1. Rat.Racer

Rat.Racer
    from Maryland

I have the privelage of chatting with Ryan for a few minutes. Is there old threads of the bio of Ryan or the HAMB, how it started, original intent...?

2. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think it's meant to be a form of self "defamation". Or would that be "defacation"? :D

3. I would have chosen a more colorful name like - "HAMBIAN", "HAMBOPHILE", "HAMBMEDOWNER", "HAMBY-BAMBY", "HAMBDINGER", or "HAMBURGER and HOTROD dog". I guess Ryan is a little more conservative than I am.
    Hey maybe he'd be willing to let us change to one of these if enough of you guys support the idea ! Whaddya say ? :D

Last edited: Mar 27, 2013
  4. 40 & 61 Fords

40 & 61 Fords

He just learned what THAT means this week from a friend.....So much for the innocent "peeper" term!!

5. cfnutcase

cfnutcase
    from Branson mo

6. I was under the impression that Ryan was primarily interested in building The Jalopy Journal and the hamb was kind of a secondary board that took on a life of it's own.

And I believe he was still in collage or sitting at his parents kitchen table when he had the idea.

Really, the only person that can tell you what it means is Ryan,,my money is on exactly what it says Hokey Ass Message Board.

The man,the myth and the legion. HRP

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 27, 2013
  7. Rat.Racer

Rat.Racer
    from Maryland

Thanks HRP. One day I'll ask...If you have to ask, you don't get it, and neither do I, so lets just drop it...haha

8. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

Big thanks to ryan !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

9. Big Bad Dad

Big Bad Dad

Here in Virginia, we have the Va. Tech Hokies also. I am still confused, but I know what the Hokle bird looks like! :D

6a00d8341c1b7353ef0162fd4a0591970d-800wi.gif

10. Fugly Too

Fugly Too

Meeting a "Hokey Ass" to me is like seeing a flying saucer: Yer not quite sure whatcha saw, but yer not likely to ever forget it either.:rolleyes:

Attached Files:

11. Relic Stew

Relic Stew
    from Wisconsin

People start using them to insult each other, then the sensitive types complain and say people should stop using them.

Imbecile, moron, and idiot where once perfectly acceptable medical terms for defining levels of mental capability.

12. Its not a what. It's a mind set...........................

13. VOODOO ROD & CUSTOM

VOODOO ROD & CUSTOM

You put your Right Cheek in, You put your Right Cheek out, You put your Right Cheek
    in and shake it all about....................................................................................

Makes perfect sense to me.

VR&C.

14. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

If a donkey is an ass and a sheep is a ram---

how come a ram in the ass is called a goose???

15. motoandy

motoandy
    from MB, SC

All this time I thought the H stood for HONKEY........

Like Jive Turkey??

16. Hud I

Hud I
    from Tennessee

I'm with you motoandy. When I first found this board, I told all my friends about the Honkey Ass board. A friend got me straight. Hud

17. cavistyle

cavistyle
    from baltimore

For the first 3 years I thought it was Honkey.

18. I'm glad it was named so strangely because it has kept us from being deluged with people doing car related searches that don't belong here. It's also given us enough time to form a pretty tough crowd which quickly dusts them off if they do show up.
    Chuck

19. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Sometimes when I meet some hot rodder for the first time I will ask them if they are on the HAMB. I will usually get a blank stare and they will think I am saying "HAM". :D I then spell it out for them.

Don

20. this message board came a long way from what is was . not so hokey any more

21. acadian_carguy

acadian_carguy

WOW...Something I, and I am sure many others, have never seen before...a pic of the man, the myth, and the Legend! Thank you sir for the HAMB!

22. slammed

slammed

Ask what the GAMB means.

23. Good Lord! The HAMB just took on a whole new meaning to me....

24. Hey! I resemble those remarks......

25. bigalturk1

bigalturk1

Closest I could come up with....

Attached Files:

26. OLLIN

OLLIN

I understand that this all started out as just a silly little chat board, but when I first came on here I really thought the name doesn't fit anymore.
    There's nothing "hokey" about some of the build threads, tech threads, history threads etc.

I always thought it should be like "hotrodders archives" message board

Or "historical automobile" message board, something more fitting.

But then there's the posts like those ^^^ that bring me back to hokey. Hahaha

27. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

Perhaps not the original intention, but a sense in which "hokey" is currently appropriate is "vernacular, popular, lowbrow, quaint" in the sense of hot rods and customs being a vernacular phenomenon without pretensions to "high art" or anything. That doesn't prevent the broader subject matter or the discourse on here from getting pretty highfalutin' at times.

As regards "ass", it is merely the modern usage in which the literal or figurative posterior of any given person or thing is deemed its most representative part. Hence, if the board's ass is hokey, the board is hokey indeed.

I submit that "message" and "board" are self-explanatory.

28. When I first discovered this site I thought, Hokey... now that's what I'm looking for. A bunch of older gentlemen working on older cars. My kind of people. Well, I soon discovered that yes, older cars was correct, but gentlemen??????????? LOL, still laughing my as off on that one. A bunch of old farts is more like it. Mostly nice old farts, but still old farts,,,including this one :) I love this site and the old farts on it.

P.S. I like the young ones too,,,most of em are pretty cool themselves,,Hokey as hell