Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Southwest Drags..New Location..New Date

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mark Yac, Feb 17, 2013.

1. The Southwest Drags and Cruise In Car Show ..18th edition..Will be at Firebird Raceway Saturday , April 13th.

With Speedworld being currently closed, we have reached an agreement with The Tribe track management to hold our events at Firebird

We'll have The Western Fuel Altereds group with us , and as I get comfirmation from some of the other groups, I'll post that in this new thread.

This will be the first event with the new management, so let's show them how much we love those old cars here in The Valley.

Mark,,Spike

I inadvertently left NOSTALGIA out of the title and therefore the search engine,
    so in case you didn't know it, we're talking NOSTALGIA Drags here..That's right NOSTALGIA Drags....

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 17, 2013
  2. Cool glad it worked out for you as I knew it would. Count me in to be there in the coupe.

3. I'll be there and try to bring a few friends with me.

4. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Hey Mark, ya know ya can PM a moderator and change the title around to include "nostalgia'. I'm so glad that it sounds like this might continue to go forward. The thought of loosing Speed World makes my blood run cold, but the thought of of loosing the Nostalgia nats felt worse!

5. 4bangertroy

4bangertroy
    from Phoenix

I will be there. Hope some other bangers show up too.

6. Glen

Glen

Thanks Mark! Look forward to seeing everyone

7. Douglas B.

Douglas B.

I'm there for sure!! So glad this event isn't going away!

8. mopacltd

mopacltd

Guess I better polish up the coupe. Car Show free with admission? How much is admission?

9. jerry

jerry

Spectator $15

jerry

10. mopacltd

mopacltd

Thanks, Jerry.

11. mopacltd

mopacltd

Just for information sake. What year vehicles are allowed in the "nostalgia" drags?

12. I wanna say 78' and older IIRC.

13. Actually , it's '81 and older. Basically originally carbureted cars.
    Exceptions being Stock /Super Stock Eliminator...That being nostalgic in itself at a local meet,
    ...and the test and tune lane, open to all cars

When we started, we followed what other promoters were doing in regard to the age of vehicles.

I suppose some may comment as to why we don't have a strict "old car" rule.
    The reason is...This is an Arizona market...loaded with fixed income folks, a general apathy towards participation in motorsports, weather excuses (too hot..too cold), various free cruise nights and shows all over the valley, which extends almost a hundred miles now, East to West, plus other sporting events that we have to compete with during the cooler weather season.

Unlike other nostalgic promoters in the past here, we like to pay our bills as we go along and have a little bit left for groceries.. so we do whatever it takes to get a few racers and spectators through the gate.

14. Mike

Mike

Back to the top.

15. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

16. NEW NEWS:

I just spoke to the incoming president of the new Firebird raceway (or whatever it will be called.)
    He wanted it known that they will be re-opening soon after the end of the lease with Charlie Allen on April 6th.
    Unfortunately our event (Southwest Nostalgia Drags, S/SS Combo) will have to be postponed until the earliest possible race date...which will be as soon as humanly possible.
    I am meeting with this gentleman later next week, and will have more at that time.

That's all I have today .If you are a sponsor or directly involved and want to call , I'll do the best I can , but you'll have to bear with me.

Former employees of either track...Stand by !

17. Mark,
    Thanks for the update.

18. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Thanks Mark, that sucks but at least it will happen...

19. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

20. Glen

Glen

Sounds like things are getting worked out. Keep us up to date please.

21. Guys ,we are tentatively scheduled for Saturday, April 27th.

I say tentatively, because there is a whole lot of work to be done beforehand.

Some of the equipment has not been purchased yet, staff has not been hired and so on..
    This will all be assessed as soon as the current occupant has vacated the premises...
    So, no events , nostalgic or otherwise will take place until this happens..
    But look for the grand re-opening with The Southwest Nostalgia Drags..soon

22. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Cool Mark! I talked to Steve the other day and he told me he had his dates set, so I knew we would hear from you guys this week!

23. Ya know , Chip , I've spent a bunch on flyers and ads and have had to cancel two dates already this year.
    I'M not doing it anymore until I see a fully equipped, functioning race track in the very near future...
    Anybody else...is on their own!

24. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

I hear ya Mark. That's stuff that Nobody ever thinks about as being costly to do, but damn if it isn't! I just thought it was a good omen that dates had been set. I don't know how I can help, but if there is anything I can do, let me know.

25. That goes the same for me.

26. Nick Flores

Nick Flores

Since its "tentative", can we think about a night race? Its sure getting to be awful warm out...

27. Thanks for bringing that up ,Nicky
    I meant to ask that in my earlier post.
    What do you guys think about opening @ 4 pm and going til the party is over, early Sunday morning?

28. Nick Flores

Nick Flores

Oooohhhh yeah... Midnight drags!!

29. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 1, 2013