Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features VINTAGE SPRINT CAR PIC THREAD, 1965 and older only please.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Joshua Shaw, Jan 17, 2008.

1. I can't find any grills like it in my USAC pics, and I have lots of them. Unless I'm overlooking something?

2. slobitz

slobitz
    from drums, pa

Certainly looks like an unpolished Edmunds grill to me. I have a few of them.

3. BZNEIL

BZNEIL

I bought a grill like that off of eBay 3 or 4 years ago. I thought edmunds to but it did have a slightly different shape than a known edmunds I compared it to. I cut the ears off and reshaped it slightly to fit my midget nose I made.

I was thinking of trying to buy the one on eBay now as a spare, but decided not to.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. slobitz

slobitz
    from drums, pa

This is my bolt on cage Edmunds with an original grill.

Attached Files:

5. Geo3

Geo3
    from INDY

Dont forget about the most prestigious race in Sprint Car History when picking your favorite 5 of all time ! KNOXVILLE !

6. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

The Bowes Seals Fast champ car of the late 40s. An eclectic mix of parts on this ride: rail frame, beam axle, parallel 4 bar all holding up Rex Mays and Bud Winfields inline 8 banger. Unfortunatly it probably spent more time on the 'hook' than on the track.

Attached Files:

• bsf1.JPG
      bsf1.JPG
      File size:
      287.4 KB
      Views:
    • bsf2.jpg
      bsf2.jpg
      File size:
      255.4 KB
      Views:
    • bsf3.JPG
      bsf3.JPG
      File size:
      158.8 KB
      Views:
  7. Thanks guys for the info on the grill.

I'd like to find a proper Edmunds grill, since I think I found an old Edmunds 30x90 supermodified.

I have access to body parts from the original molds, The very last that I know of with a slight imprint of the number 54 on the sidepanels, straight out of the mold. Only the original molds had that.

This will be a slow build up of a car over time, and I am just looking for pertinent items , just in case it is a true Edmunds. I have no history on the car at this time.

8. Racer5c an excellent suggestion and one that I just recently completed and yes you are correct I did miss a lot the first time. Now a question for other oldtimers like myself. Do any of you remember the sign that was above the pit entrance at Winchester back in the day of the old wooden grandstand. After the trailered cars snaked under the grandstand and just before entering the track there was a sign that read something like"Through this gate passes the worlds best race car drivers' or maybe it was the worlds fastest race car drivers. Anybody else remember that sign or have a photo of it?

9. Bob Cicconi

Bob Cicconi

Hey- Don't encourage Roy! :)

10. racer76

racer76

I thought the words BRAVE were in the Winchester sign. I certainly felt brave running there. Even in a 4 cylinder modified

11. Blacki-Suede

Blacki-Suede

Here is my restored CBM #7 Edmunds midget steel grille. According to Don he only made about 10 of these steel grilles before he went to a cast grille. He was surprised that the grille survived 13 years of racing. Construction was: left and right steel pieces formed to fit the nose and brazed together - individual steel bars brazed in place. Went to cast grills due to labor time. I disassembled the grill, had it reshaped, replaced one missing bar, and had it chromed. I will put it back in the midget, but considered putting it in a shadow box frame and hanging on the wall, as it is a work of art.

Blacki-Suede

''Life's tough, pilgrim, and it's even tougher if you're stupid.''-- John Wayne

Attached Files:

12. Blacki-Suede

Blacki-Suede

Found this Edmunds Modified (that's Don in the car) on the cover of July 1966 Hot Rod. The grill is still a mystery, but the image may help you. I would think the grill would be a normal Edmunds sprint car grille.

Blacki-Suede

Attached Files:

• 001.jpg
      001.jpg
      File size:
      249.5 KB
      Views:
  13. easter

easter

Just got home from Mobile International Speedway and the Xtreme Sprint Car Series. Crazy fast cars, super nice people, and got to meet Tom Bigelow. It's always a good day when you can meet someone like Tom Bigelow.

14. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

Help needed PLEASE!!:

1949 AAA Dash tag picture needed!!!!

I have a picture of 1947, 48, and 50 and they are ALL totally different. I need a good picture of a 1949 AAA Registered Race car Dash tag.

Any help?

Thanks..

J Shaw

*****Here is a 1938 to show you what I'm talking about***

Attached Files:

15. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

If you do frame it I think it would look best with the radiator area in a matte black finish to contrast w/ the chrome.

16. TheAlabamaKid

TheAlabamaKid
    from mobile, al

17. TheAlabamaKid

TheAlabamaKid
    from mobile, al

Supermodifieds

Attached Files:

18. Blacki-Suede

Blacki-Suede

Just found a picture of the Winchester sign in the Indianapolis Old timers news letter (Issue 1 - 2013). "THROUGH THESE GATES, PASS THE BRAVEST DRIVERS IN THE WORLD"

Blacki-Suede

19. Speedwrench

Speedwrench

Alabama Kid - Do you know if Johnnie Ardis is still around?

20. Thank you Blacki-Suede I was close and I just added up the years and it has been 63 years since I last seen that sign.

21. gtxrider

gtxrider

Supers sure look different now a days! We still all look the same though:D

22. sideways27

sideways27

For any of you guys that were at the 2008 New Hampshire Vintage Racing Show that featured Kurtis Kraft and Arlen Kurtis was the Grand Marshal. I have listed on ebay a NOS Poster that is signed by Arlen for your collection. Just type "kurtis kraft poster".

23. TheAlabamaKid

TheAlabamaKid
    from mobile, al

Speedwrench I have no idea but here is a cool website http://www.speedscoopnews.com/

Preserving the racing history of the Florida, Alabama, and Mississippi Gulf Coast

24. J.D.W.

J.D.W.

Everyone,
    Hello sure hope you can look at the picture I posted and help me out. This is Dad Jimmy Williams in a Big Car from the early 60's. I think it is at the Iowa State Fair Grounds. The man standing next to him is Larry Sprag. He was a stock car racer in the day. There is a 69 car in the back ground and a guy wearing a number 65 on a tea shirt you can see. I am trying to figure out who owned the car and where it is. Not sure if it is Iowa Fair are not. On the back of the picture it say's taken by Al J. Herman. Could this be in Minn? Not sure hope you can help me out...Thanks...

Attached Files:

25. mac miller

mac miller
    from INDY

I just received word that Art Malone has died in Fla.:(
    This guy was one of the "bravest of the brave" Indy roadster drivers of the mid 60s. He drove NOVIs for Andy Granatelli at the Indianapolis Speedway and. also. was the first driver to break 180 MPH at the Daytona Intl. Speedway in 1961 driving a modified Indy roadster.
    He also set many top fuel drag racing records.

GODSPEED RACER!!!

26. oldtom69

oldtom69
    from grandin nd

J.D.W.-the 69 car looks like the Bill McDonald car driven by Jerry Richert.The lettering style and paint appears to be right and would have been at most of the races in MN and Iowa at that time.

27. Dick L

Dick L

I believe this is the MN State Fair track. Al Herman took a lot of photos at the fair over the years. If you check some of my earlier posts Al took many of the black and white photos. Jerry Richert drove the Bill Mc Donald #69 offy in the early 60's At the fair.

28. racer5c

racer5c

they don't make racers like this anymore, R.I.P. Art Malone

Attached Files:

29. mac miller

mac miller
    from INDY

30. easter

easter

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Check out the sprint car in JDW's post above. Then look at the #64 car in the first photo I posted. That's Dean Mast in the Howell Transportation #64 which was previously (and is again) the Vivian Buick car driven by Bob Pratt. Both cars have very similar front and rear roll bars, side nerf bars, hood slope, wind screens, and header ports in the side panels. The interior upholstry in JDW's car looks very similar to the the interior upholstry in the last photo which is Dean Mast in the Howell Transportation #54 - a Trevis car. It just caught my eye and maybe means nothing, but with the open wheel history wizards on this thread I figured someone would know more about all of this. I'm looking forward to hearing any responses. Thanks. Easter