Register now to get rid of these ads!

Quadrajet fits

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 31Vicky with a hemi, Mar 27, 2013.

1. Today my quadra jet decided it was going to spit fuel out of it like a sieve.
    No explanation, no provocation, no warming , yesterday it was perfect & today it's an fuel spitting ass ache!

If I didnt know better I'd swear somebody fucked with it.

2. probably that plastic float in it went to crap

3. Or the float is hung up. Most cases, give the top of the carb a rap with a screwdriver handle and it settles down. If that don't work.. have fun. I stopped fkucing around with Q-Jets many moons ago. I have a local guy that rebuilds my cores and they're perfect from then on.

Bob

4. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

could be a fiber float that sunk !

5. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

Porous floats were the Quadrajet's main problem over the long haul. Hygrade used to make an on-the-car fix kit with a float, needle&seat, and top gasket.

6. Usually a heavy float gives a hint or two .
    This popped up like somebody drilled a hole In the float last night.

7. abefromen

abefromen

8. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

My first thought, sunk float or stuck needle and seat.

9. That's really all that is could be.
    Just weird that it was totally awesome yesterday and for many months prior.
    It's a new or fresh fuel system too

Ill tear into it later this week and find the problem.

10. Opened her up today and the float is catching something on the bottom of the carb. It holds it down pretty good if the float touches the bottom of the bowl. Seems like its wedging up behind the float next to the hinge . Ill have to pull it all apart to see what and why.

11. F&J

F&J

Most carb float brackets have a stop that prevents the float from dropping too far.

12. pdq67

pdq67

Which Q-Jet do you have??

The way early one's had condom rubber needle valve holders on them and imho, they worked great. They actually flow more than the later, non-condom carb's..

Now, I do figure that E10 will screw up the float and gaskets over time, much less letting it sit dry for a time.

pdq67

13. Well there's obviously a problem because the bowl went dry and let the float drop over night

14. It's off of a 73 olds 455

15. And in addition to a float level spec, most carbs also have a float DROP spec as well. And I'd be surprised if one in ten people ever check it or adjust it. :eek:

HEY! This is my 2000th post! :D Don't I get a FREE oil change or a t-shirt or something? :rolleyes:

16. pdq67

pdq67

'73, I figure way too new for the condom deal here.

And fwiw, I ran something like a 403 Olds Q-Jet on my Strong-Arm 406 that's sitting out in my garage on my engine stand for a while before I pulled it for my 496.

Ran great, imho...

Once you get it rebuilt or whatever, the real key to a Q-Jet is to set the top butterfly's to kick in when you want them to AND it is as easy as a Sat. afternoon T&T to get them set right..

BUT you have to road test it because the back top butterfly's won't kick in unless under load!!

You will need a little-bitty Allen Wrench that will fit the lock screw that's down under the pass side end of the top butterfly's shaft and a little-bitty straight screw driver to go in the end of it to either loosen or tighten the top butterfly spring...

Don't go more than an 1/8th of a turn either way or you may have to start all over again.

Been there, done that.....

Hope this helps and good luck...

pdq67