Register now to get rid of these ads!

322 Nailhead cam bearing help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by snowman, Mar 20, 2013.

1. snowman

snowman

I have a dilema on my hands and I need your help. The machine shop called me last Friday afternoon and told me the front cam bearing was wrong, it slides right through the bore. I called Russ @ Centerville and he shipped me a new front bearing pronto even though he has not encountered this issue before. This morning I got another call from the machine shop to inform me that the replacement bearing does the same thing and there is an issue with the block bore being oversized, which was confirmed by Russ VIA a phone call with the machine shop.

My question is does anyone know of a source for custom/oversized cam bearings? I've attempted EGGE, Kanter, Classic Buicks, Napa, Rock Auto and have struck out with everyone. I really don't want to go down the road of getting another block as this one is completely done minus this one bearing.

2. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Maybe nickle plate your bearing and machine it to fit? How far out is it?

3. Try this:Terrill Machine Deleon Tx 254-893-2610
    I have used them in the past for nailhead engine parts.

4. Bigjake

Bigjake

If the machine shop still has the old one it should be as simple as pulling out the mic and checking the books for one that will work. I find it odd that it's only one and not all the same. I've seen oversized cam bearings before but the way I've seen it done was the bearing journals on the cam were skinned down and not the hole in the block bored oversized.

5. must have been a mess up from the factory. i'd machine a sleeve to make up the difference and drive it in the block , then install the stock cam bearing

6. BOBCRMAN

BOBCRMAN
    from Holly

A factory salvage repair. I have mounted them on a shaft and knurled the OD. :eek:

Just did a Dagenham Std. Ford tractor block that way. The Brits use every casting that comes down the line and the rebuilder gets to figure out how to fit production only oversizes. Mexican VWs did similar things..

7. snowman

snowman

I finally got some measurements from the machine shop. The bearing I need to procure needs to have the following measurements: I.D. of 1.688" and an O.D. of 1.840". Anyone know how I can go about finding this mythical beast?

8. snowman

snowman

Thanks for the recommendation shovelheadrider, I called Feltz and Terrill Machine and got a lot of info from him, he is such a nice guy! He actually supplies Russ @ Centerville with a lot of parts! Needless to say, he didn't have an easy solution for me. My options are having the #1 cam bearing bore opened up more then install a sleeve to accept the stock bearing, sit down with a cam bearing spec book (which i have no idea where to get one) and attempt to find one that meets my current specs. The last option is to build another block which I'm resisting as this on is so very close to being done.

The machine shop scrapped my stock bearing that came out cause my block was there for so long. I'm gonna go pick up my block from the machine shop until I can get a solid solution to my problem.

9. Judd

Judd

later model Nailheads take different cam bearings, maybe you have the wrong set.

10. GOATROPER02

GOATROPER02
    from OHIO

Ive a solution....set part number 1847m in Federal Mogul...position "1 bearing is 1.843-1.844OD .850 wide.
    double check housing bore...machine outside of bearing a couple thousands to achive proper press.
    narrow bearing to the .750 that a stock bearing is...or leave wider if possable..I dont have a block right in front of me.
    correct oil holes in new bearing if need be.....

Now block is done....

This bearing takes a shaft size of 1.761/1.762

Machine a steel outer ring for your front cam journal with an ID that has .007 press fit and and an OD larger than finished size............Heat the spacer (prob 450 degrees) so it will slip on and shrink tight.

I would rough the outside afterwards within .010 or so in a lathe...then have someone who has or has access to a crankgrinder finish the journal for you.

Yes Ive had to do this before

Last edited: Mar 27, 2013
  11. snowman

snowman

I'm not having any luck sourcing a Federal Mogul 1847m part #. I've tried Napa, RockAuto, O'reilly and Google. Thanks again for the time you've spent helping me with this.

12. GOATROPER02

GOATROPER02
    from OHIO

Ill check my warehouse tommorrow.....

13. sunbeam

sunbeam

Check with duro bond

14. GOATROPER02

GOATROPER02
    from OHIO

Another bearing set.... 1565m federal-mogul position #3 has Od of 1.8504-1.8514 so

trim outside down .010.....

ID is 1.6815-1.6821 so have cam journal ground approx .006-.007

stock 322 bearing was .750 wide...this one is .720 close enough

Even easier than first plan......2 sets of bearings on ebay now doing a quick search...fits a 1970-1988 toyota

15. snowman

snowman

I snagged that set of 1565m bearings on evilbay as it was the only one I could find that were actually made by Federal Mogul and the 2nd set on there are .25 undersized. I didn't want to risk it and get a set of Sealed Power or Clevite bearings as you have already went way beyond helping me by spec-ing these bearings out for me. I should have them in a week and will update when we make some more progress. Thanks again for putting some wind back in my sails goatroper02!

16. GOATROPER02

GOATROPER02
    from OHIO

Nothing wrong with sealed power or clevite if we need to cross a part number to another brand if you were to need another bearing to widdle on ......my book that lists the ID and OD of the bearings is a Federal-Mogul.
    The newer Mahle/Clevite books dont give the sizes of each bearing in a set like older books...just applications.

Hope it works for you......Isnt much we havent seen over the years....and isnt much that cant be fixed in a proper manner(if its fixable) with a little work.

17. snowman

snowman

Well, after finally finding a machine shop in the Portland area that can actually do the work needed to be done on the Nailhead, I pulled the trigger and dropped it off with a few days left in 2013. In summary, I had two options: A- Use the bearing that Goatroper suggested which is the cheaper option but leaves me in a unique position if something happens down the road or option B- Sleeve the block in order to use the factory bearing and be done with this ordeal. Although a few hundred dollars more expensive, I chose option B for a few reasons. Even though I don't ever plan on parting ways with the car or engine, I've invested enough time and money into the block to get it where it is and there is simply no point to "bandaid" an issue. I truly appreciate the time spent by Goatroper to help with options and like I said earlier, it helped put wind in my sails to know that there are people willing to help guide me through this with no real benefit to them.

I should be getting the block back from Bearing Services here shortly and Brian has been such a pleasure to work with. They have machine the block to receive a custom made sleeve that has a tapered shoulder on the front edge. The reason for this is if in the event that the cam bearings need to be replaced, the cam bearing can be driven out towards the rear of the engine without the sleeve moving. Once I get the block back in the garage, I will post up some pics of the final work.

18. Any up-dates on the Nailhead??

19. snowman

snowman

Here are the results from Bearing Services work. They machined a conical edge to the front side so if ever the bearing needs to be driven out the sleeve will stay put. I am completely satisfied and I'm waiting for some free time to start assembly! ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1395706132.520973.jpg

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!