Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage White Knuckle Scramble - Vintage Karts & Minibike Race (now with dates!)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hellfish, Mar 24, 2013.

1. Hellfish

Hellfish

Finally we have dates AND a location!! It took a LOT of calls and pleading before we found a place that would allow minibikes to run, but we did it!

http://whiteknucklescramble.com/

[​IMG]

Get out your viking helmets because we're racing at Concept Haulers Motor Speedway in Norway, IL (about 15 minutes from Morris, IL where the Pileup was for a few years)!!

http://www.concepthaulersmotorspeedway.com/

We will have a practice/warm-up event on June 29 and the MAIN event will be on September 14! The June event is so everyone can get used to riding a technically difficult track, and we can get a better sense of which track configuration works best, times and classes. They've never run minibikes there, so we're all going to learn. If we get a good turn out in June, we may have some extra surprises in September!! The rules will be simple and easy to comply with.

If you haven't heard of the White Knuckle Scramble, we are a new race/rallye for vintage minibikes and vintage go karts ONLY! There will be several classes and the rules will be simple. We have revised them from what we published earlier, but they're even more simple. Details soon after we get final approval from the track.

[​IMG]

2. WOW, that's a pretty wild looking place!
    The family is really looking forward to this event.

3. cmarcus

cmarcus

Will people be treating this at all as a "cruise-in"? Would love to come as a spectator, but also cruise down with folks if they will be...

4. von zipper

von zipper

I like that idea!

5. Hellfish

Hellfish

The more racers, the better, but there are bleachers where non-racers can watch. If you're not racing, you will have to stay outside of the fence for your own safety, but they will sell special pit passes if you want to be on the other side. I'll have to check on prices, but I think it is $5 for a premises pass, $13 to walk on the other side of the fence and full-access race driver fees will be around $30-$40 depending on whether you pre-register or not. There will be a lot of benefits to pre-registration beyond the cost savings. Details soon.

This is designed as an adult event, but families are welcome... and we are *considering* adding special classes or race times (say 10-11am) for kids under 18 to run a vintage kart. We have to figure out if that's feasible or not. What do you think about that?

6. Hellfish

Hellfish

Monday morning bump

7. Appleseed

Appleseed

Joe, is this just one race or are we hot lapping all day, or for a set number of hours? Regardless, this sounds like cheap fun.

8. Hellfish

Hellfish

ALL day, BOTH days. We will probably practices and try out different track configurations all morning and run finals in the afternoon

9. Hellfish

Hellfish

I updated the rules on our website http://whiteknucklescramble.com. I still have to get final approval from the track, but these are pretty much the rules he gave me, so I don't anticipate any changes.

PERSONAL Safety:
    Snell 2005 or newer full face helmet. The Snell rating is pretty much the only new addition to the rules and it is mandatory. I think that M(motorcycle), K(kart), or SA(racing) helmets will be acceptable. I did some digging, and found full-face Snell 2005 (or 2010) helmets starting at around $50 online and $20 on ebay/CL. You can rent them from the track for $5, or borrow one from a friend for $0.

A neck brace is also mandatory. These basically protect your collar bone and neck in case you wreck. All tracks and insurance companies require them. They are about $25-$40, or you can rent them from the track for $5.

I will also add that if you are racing a kart and your friend is racing a mini, you could just trade out gear between races... if you don't mind your friend's sweat.

That was the hard part.

You will also be required to wear an abbrasion-resistant jacket. WTF does that mean? Well, if you wreck, it is what is between the pavement and your skin, so choose wisely. The track, however, will accept anything of a durable material - leather, denim, Carhardt, etc.

Sorry, but you gotta wear PANTS. Long pants, to the ankle. Jeans are ok, but I don't think they'll let you go with holes in the knees. It ain't the 90s, grunge boy.

You'll have to wear closed-toe shoes, and gloves.

VEHICLE Safety

You are responsible for tech-ing your own vehicle EXCEPT, you must demonstrate working brakes and steering to the track tech. Pretty simple, no?

The county has a STRICT 95 dB limit, so you MUST run a muffler or silencer. The track has a meter and WILL check to make sure you are not louder than 95dB. I think a typical lawnmower runs at about 90db. My Westy may be inadequately muffled (100 dB?) at the moment, but I'll figure that out before June.

CLASSES
    Classes will pretty much be determined by who shows up on race day, and pre-registration. There will be a lot of benefits to pre-registering. We're ironing out the last details for that now. There will definitely be a Minibike class and a Go Kart class. Within those classes, we'll have sub-classes based on engine size (like, 100 cc or less and 100cc and above).

We are also considering allowing kids (8-17) to run a few laps in the morning. We haven't made up our minds about that, so let us know what you think.

10. Hey would it be possible to find out about hotels in the area and posting them for the guys traveling from afar

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

11. Hellfish

Hellfish

I'm going to update the website this weekend. I will add hotel info and PRE-REGISTRATION information. We'll make it worth your while. :D

12. Hellfish

Hellfish

Preregistration is open for the June 29th race!

By registering early, you will help us establish classes, and in return you pay less, get $5 off an event shirt, and will receive a higher pole position than those that register on June 29th.

Register by June 20, and it's only $30
    Register on June 29, and it's $40

http://whiteknucklescramble.com/

13. Hellfish

Hellfish

One month to go until the first race!!
    Is your kart and/or minbike ready?
    Do you have the right helmet? Full face Snell m2005 and m2010 helmets can be had on ebay for $15-30 if you look, and dozens in all sizes under $100

We also have a 2nd logo by Greg Araya for our 2-wheeled racers...

[​IMG][​IMG]

I need to adjust the sizes... but you get the idea. :D

14. big vic

big vic
    from cary il

kool joe!! thats kool!!! hey now that we got a kart , i have to admit this is getting pretty exciting

15. cs39ford

cs39ford

OK Now how do I get this to meet 95 db per engine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FaLroIdBulQ

I would be there if I can do that for Sure Mufflers for these old saw motors Did not make them very quiet Any ideas? Those are muffler boxs on them NOW

Also could make it in sept But not in june would that be a problem

Sounds like a cool meet

16. Hellfish

Hellfish

That's a great kart!
    West Bend 820s? You can get mufflers for them. There are a lot of aftermarket parts for the 820s since they are still being made. This place sells reproductions of vintage parts http://californiavintagekarters.com/reproduction.html

BUT most of the noise from the 2-strokes comes from the INTAKE side though. An air filter will help a little, but you may need an air box. I'm running a WB 580. I haven't had time to go to the track and get a dB reading yet, but it will probably be right around 95, or just over, so I'm going to build an air box (or buy a cheap one) and take it with me just in case. That will take away from the vintage look, but a county ordinance is a county ordinance... even if the track is in the middle of nowhere.

17. cs39ford

cs39ford

Yes Joe Those are stock WB 820s Went to that site you listed, The mufflers they have are the same as I have now Got a db meter at work will see what it register at Idle and wide open How far away do I need to be away from Kart? If it is under limit will Be there in sept with my son-law, He fits in it better, But I will give it a few turns also! We got all the other gear needed

18. Hellfish

Hellfish

Cool. That site also has stock, restrictive mufflers which apparently are pretty quiet.

The actual county ordinance states that the engines can't be over 95dB at the edge of the property. To be on the safe side, I wouldn't stand too far away though. The owner may cut out one of the track loops so we're not too close to the property line, just in case.

I'll ask him and see what he says.

19. cs39ford

cs39ford

Cool Let me know what the owner says Will check this out with db meter sat afternoon when I get home from the scrapdrive meet

20. cs39ford

cs39ford

Well looks like we are too loud, at 15 feet away we are over 110 db at wide open OH WELL I tried

21. Hellfish

Hellfish

What kind of mufflers are you running? You might need to construct a simple air box and zip tie it to the frame. That's what I'm going to do

22. cs39ford

cs39ford

Running GEM Mufflerbox, There is no room with motors and 5 qt tank to tie off anything,The original throttle linkage is back on frame runs across I think a airbox will not help, It would be better to fing different mufflers, But at this time will just have to pass

23. Hellfish

Hellfish

As I understand it, most of the noise with a 2 stroke (like the 820) comes from the intake. It's a the noise of air getting sucked in (think Formula 1 cars). I guess an airbox helps diffuse that.

24. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

I have a go kart made by a company named "Cody Kart". From what I have been told it's from the 60s. Anybody know where I can get parts to restore it for my grandkids? I have tried to research it, with no luck.

25. cs39ford

cs39ford

Try www.rearenginekarts.com They have a forum for that. Also there is a lot of stuff out there for the old karts Most parts are interchangeable Post a photo maybe I could help ID or send me a PM with photo to my E mail

26. von zipper

von zipper

A Boonie I picked up last weekend! ImageUploadedByTapatalk1370991162.037564.jpg

27. Hellfish

Hellfish

The Vintage Karts forum is much more active than the Rear Engine site. http://www.vintagekarts.com/

There are a LOT of vintage kart part suppliers, but most are generic parts. You can probably restore yours with those parts, unless you're going for exact, concourse restroation points...

Here's my 1960 Simplex Mark II Challenger. It's apparently a rare kart and it was a MESS when I got it. It has been a fairly straightforward restoration. I don't know why the PO cobbled it together. Finding the unique Simplex parts (like the gas tank) will be an expensive challenge, but I'm not going to do that.

[​IMG]

28. Hellfish

Hellfish

Patches are in!

[​IMG]

29. Hellfish

Hellfish

CS39Ford - I just spoke with the track owner. 110db is definitely too loud BUT you are measuring way too close. They actually measure at the property line which is more like 50' away or more.

I can't really advertise it, but we are going to be feeling our way through a lot of things. We may, for example, let your kart run but on the shorter track that doesn't go close to the property line, or limit the number of runs you make, but chances are very good that you'll get some good runs in.

30. cs39ford

cs39ford

Joe, Cool will be there in sept, Will start to gather stuff for the day at the track

Attached Files: