Register now to get rid of these ads!

Lowered my 54' Chevy Sedan........

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by gasalley, Feb 25, 2013.

1. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

wow, that car is really cool. I really like the low buck no trim cars with minimal options. I have one rubber gravel gaurd for my 49, plus the other little part that connects it to the rocker molding.. if i get a pair I will use them even though I have already filled in the holes. a few years back I had a pair (NOS) for a 51-52.

it has been a couple years since I saw the guy at the swaps with the pair for your car.

2. gasalley

gasalley
    from East Texas

Yeah Ratfink, if i ever do a full repaint (which would be hard for me to remove this original paint) i would keep the rock guards off and fill in the holes. The rear quarters on these cars look so slick without anything on them..........

M-

3. gasalley

gasalley
    from East Texas

Are you running a closed driveline?

M-

4. Labold

Labold

Your car looks great. I am planning to do my '53 asafp. I have 3" blocks for the rear and plan to go ahead and cut 2 full coils. I've seen some guys with 4" blocks for the rear but have not been able to find them.
    I am doing a motor swap down the road and would like to replace the entire front end but just lowering it will hopefully keep me happy for now (and not cost an arm and leg).

5. Dead End Sleds

Dead End Sleds

If you do 4", I think you need to make them yourself or call someone like Gambino Customs who can help with "notching?" Not sure. I'm not going that low; roads are too rough up here in sticks.

6. 54LedSled

54LedSled

Hey Gasalley what replacement shocks did you end up going with?

7. 19blockhead72

19blockhead72

Looks nice. A set of chrome stock wheels would really set it off even though I like the factory caps. I like the stance too.

8. gasalley

gasalley
    from East Texas

For the rear shocks i used the factory length since i went with lowering blocks. The front shocks i used are 3" shorter than stock because since these pics were taken, i have cut another 1/2 coil off of the front. I am now at 2 full cut coils.....

M-

9. fifty5rod

fifty5rod
    from El Paso TX

Any pics with the 2 coils cut?

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

10. gasalley

gasalley
    from East Texas

Soon. I have new wheels and tires on the way. I should have them on by next week........

M-

11. thejim

thejim
    from Wisconsin

Nice. The gravel guards and trim spears are now reproduced . You can find them at www.koolrides.com. Just happened to come across the ad in the april deluxe. I put them and the rocker modeling on my 54 150. Up to about 5 sets now that i am slowly refurbishing, the trim spears just seem to be the hard ones to find. You can also check with national chevy, they have a bunch of old trim. It has taken me over three years to come up with all original 210 trim, the only part not reproduced is the rear fender trim for 210 and bel airs. Working on doing 2" lower coils and shocks and probably a 3" drop block for the rear next.

12. rat nasty

rat nasty

deff a kool 54! I say keep it as is! its perfect!

13. StefanS

StefanS
    from Maryland

I know this thread's a few months old but I just wanted to let everyone know who reads it that jamco has 4" blocks

14. gasalley

gasalley
    from East Texas

That's good to know Stefan. Thanks!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

15. dan31

dan31

Just make sure to get the blocks that relocate the rear(centered in wheelwell) with the off set pin.4" blocks may put you into the "scrub line",i cut mine down a little and redrilled holes.

16. gasalley

gasalley
    from East Texas

Are you still running a closed driveline?

M-

17. dan31

dan31

Sorry,no I forgot to say i'm running a 10 bolt rear and 3' drop springs from posie's.Car sits 18 1/4" at rear (Top of rear wheelwell to ground).

18. gasalley

gasalley
    from East Texas

Gotcha. Yeah, been thinking about just swapping out the rear to a open setup. I'm just trying to get as low as I can and not butcher too much oem metal.....

19. Love the car. I love that it's so simple yet looks so good.