Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Bad News Coupe

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by JamesWalker, May 10, 2012.

1. JamesWalker

JamesWalker

I am the youngest son of John Walker. My name is James Walker. My father was the last owner/driver of the Bad News Coupe out of Pomona. Other drivers were Gary Southern, Bob Sidebotham, Howard Haight, Andy Cordova - just a few of the guys that I remember as a kid driving my dad's car. I am trying to piece all dates and names together as best as I can because I was just a kid at the time. I am looking for any information on the Bad News Coupe from 1960 until late 1971 (when it crashed in OC Raceway on May 19, 1971 with Stillman Pond driving - sad day). My picture is my dad with his Bad News Coupe taken in Montclair, CA in 1968. Like everyone else we are trying to get the capital to resurrect the Bad New Coupe whether it be a Cacklefest car or running on the nostaglic circuit. Right now we have some original motors (354 Hemis and 392's). My father passed away on April 29, 2012 and we would like to bring the Bad News Coupe back as a tribute to him. So if there is anybody out there who has any pictures or information on the Coupe, please contact me (951) 880-6728. anything would be of help.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2013
  2. yetiskustoms

yetiskustoms

No help here, but would love to see some resurection pix of the car!!

3. JamesWalker

JamesWalker

Here is the Bad News Coupe.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 10, 2012

4. Steves32

Steves32
    from So Cal

I remember the crash. I am a drag race photographer & was there that day when it happened. I think it happened before track was open to public.
    I seem to remember the car was fired up in lanes behind start line- car lurched forward under full power- jumped a wall- hit the tower or building or something & came to rest along a chain link fence.

[​IMG]

Doug took this one after it rolled at Irwindale

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. JamesWalker

JamesWalker

This is super! We have the picture you posted...that is me in the white tee shirt as a small boy in the background, and you can see my brother standing behind the car (through the windows). Do you have ANY photos of the crash or the car afterwards? Gosh, I am really excited to talk you to.

6. Steves32

Steves32
    from So Cal

Talk to Doug here (Mazooma1)- he's the one who took that crash photo.

I believe the original car was steel. That was a long time ago. Lots of dead brain cells between then & now.

I don't have the photos of the fatal crash at OCIR. I took the aftermath photos & the roll of 35mm film was siezed by the track. Probably insurance reasons & PR at the time.

7. 296ardun

296ardun

I remember readings about Stillman Pond's death at OCIR, but to this day I didn't know he died in the Bad News Coupe...apparently there were several (search "Drag Cars in Motion" thread on this site for more)...I think that Bruce McDowell ran the first one, that both Bruce and Bob Sidebotham drove, after its crash the motor went into a fuel dragster...think that Les Hawkins and Lyle Webster were involved in a later "Bad News Coupe" after they retired the "15oz coupe" (that Bruce McDowell originally owned)...was that when your father acquired it? Or was his a different "Bad News" car? The original coupe was steel, but I think the one in the photos above is also steel -- note the original door handles that the 'glass ones didn't have...

Keep us posted on your quest to reproduce the car, and, sorry to hear about your late father's passing....

8. JamesWalker

JamesWalker

Thanks Steve for your info. Too bad about the pics getting confiscated. Being just a kid of 8 when it happened, I am trying to put the history of it all together.

I have been told that they were testing the car that day and it had already made several passes, they started the car and Stillman was warming it up and it has been said that the throttle may have stuck wide open as they were hand pushing it. Within seconds it hit the concrete barrier wall and the control tower, rolled through a safety fences and out in the field. The motor separted from the car in the wreck and Stillman was still strapped in his seat. It was a terrible fatal accident and my dad retired that car and never reassembled it or had anything to do with it. But me and my brothers are now putting the car back together as our finances allow. One book we have sites that the driver that day was a 19 year old kid, not so. Stillman was about 30, and was not to be the driver that day. My dad was the scheduled driver that day.

I sure appreciate hearing from all you guys who remember watching the Bad News on the track.

9. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

Sorry for your loss James. Though I cant be of much help in your quest I really have to hand you props for what youre doing.
    BTW, I have a friend named James Walker and he's doing a 63 Wildcat convertable that had less to start with than anything else.

10. JamesWalker

JamesWalker

Les Hawkins sent me some info and pictures and I wanted to share this pic of the Bad News Coupe with you guys. Hope it is new for you. This is when Les Hawkins ran it. The top speed they drove it was 174.75 in 8:90 in Sept. 1964. The motor was a 354CI with 62% nitro.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 17, 2012
  11. JamesWalker

JamesWalker

Can't thank ya enough, Mazooma for that other crash pic. Really neat that you have those. All you guys been great, thanks! I will keep you updated on how things are going. Norm Porter has agreed to build the chassis starting in Sept. We had a meeting last Saturday and he is anxious to get started. Probably some of you know him. He is a great old-timer that really knows his stuff as he originally worked on these rods.

12. Tio Geo

Tio Geo

James, cant wait to see the b.n.c back on 4 wheels! please keep us posted. I have 2 photos of the car when you dad was running it. i can't post them but i would be willing to give them to you. are you planing on making some tee-shirts to help fund the project? its a good way to help and keep the memories alive.

13. Tio Geo

Tio Geo

James, how is the build going?

14. honeyman

honeyman
    from Steiner

Hope this project hasn't stalled out...t-shirts sounds like a good idea.

15. Mark Hinds

Mark Hinds
    from pomona ca

Love it, another piece of history coming back to life. Good luck in the build.

16. JamesWalker

JamesWalker

It hasn't stalled out, we are getting it together pretty good now. Was hoping to have it ready for the Hot Rod Homecoming show this month but looks doubtful we can make that deadline.

17. Tio Geo

Tio Geo

James, any chance you will take it to the L A Roadster show in june at the fairplex?
    how about posting some pictures of the build....would love to see them

18. James, i have a very nice steel nose i was kinda holding onto.....it has the grille bars cut out as does the car in the pics....if you're interested and would like to stay steel, I'llwork with you on a good price...anything to see a historic topolino cone back to life....mine was a drag car back in the day....but I've never had any luck tracking its past... uploadfromtaptalk1364363048274.jpg

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

19. black 62

black 62
    from arkansas

good luck---so far the response has been great...

20. fatfender49

fatfender49

Cant wait to see the final turnout. Good luck.

21. Tio Geo

Tio Geo

Hey Topolino Kid....Really like your car and your site..

22. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

White tee shirt? Looks to me like 3/4 of the guys in that era exclusively wore white tee shirts!

Seriously, great story and great project!

23. JamesWalker

JamesWalker

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 26, 2013
    sko_ford likes this.
  24. JamesWalker

JamesWalker

25. JamesWalker

JamesWalker

the above two postings are showing you the Bad News Coupe as it is coming along. We are having a lot of fun doing it, and hope you enjoy seeing it. Would love to hear your comments.

26. keep it up, love to see this kind of stuff.

27. 296ardun

296ardun

Looks really traditional. As one who remembers the original, I can't wait to see the reproduction...

28. Tell your brother Bob I said hi......

29. 2racer

2racer