Register now to get rid of these ads!

51 Plymouth

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by falconvan, Jun 10, 2012.

1. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

Look at your hood badge, from here it looks like the Indian figures might be standing on their heads. That old paint buffed out pretty nicely. Those caps may be from a 56 Dodge or aftermarket facsimiles.

2. theman440

theman440
    from Las Vegas

3. falconvan

falconvan
    from festus, Mo

Running great but thinking of going to a fuel cell. I'm picking up a lot of junk out of the tank; got a filter before the electric pump but had to change it three times already.

4. mcnally351

mcnally351
    from boston

Cool build I just browsed through the whole thing. Sick, I like the orange with the white

5. n847

n847

I had the same problem till I took it out to have it cleaned and sealed. Best 90 bucks I've spent on the car!

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

6. cowboy1

cowboy1
    from Austin TX

Looks Great! I'm glad you got the heat going.

7. falconvan

falconvan
    from festus, Mo

Yeah, me too. I was clogging up fuel filters left and right with rust so I decided to ditch the stock tank and do a 15 gallon fuel cell. I pulled the old tank and got the fuel cell mounted. Looks like it was a good move; I looked in the old tank with a flashlight and it was rusted pretty bad all the way around. Now I just need to run the fuel lines and the vent and we'll be back on the road.

Attached Files:

8. cowboy1

cowboy1
    from Austin TX

9. knoxbrendon

knoxbrendon

Were did u get Ur outter rockers from if u don't mind me asking

10. n847

n847

11. falconvan

falconvan
    from festus, Mo

Yep, Rock Auto is where I got them. One fit pretty good and one took quite a bit of "adjusting" but that's par for the course with a lot of aftermarket panels.

12. knoxbrendon

knoxbrendon

The reason i ask is because i got mine from c2c fabrication for my coronet and there not even close

13. knoxbrendon

knoxbrendon

Just looked at rockauto looks like thats what they sell thanks for the reply car is lookin good

14. falconvan

falconvan
    from festus, Mo

Thanks, no problem. You going to try and make yours work or try some different ones?

15. knoxbrendon

knoxbrendon

Idk thinkin I might be better off building them my self. bought these hoping to save time but nuttin is ever easy

16. tailpipe47

tailpipe47

Well guys this thread is over. I just seen it on ebay for sale. I guess it won't be getting a Viper now.

17. falconvan

falconvan
    from festus, Mo

It's gotta sell first! We'll see what happens. If it does sell Im thinking about building a big block wagon.

18. falconvan

falconvan
    from festus, Mo

No sale; looks like she's hanging around for the summer.

19. falconvan

falconvan
    from festus, Mo

Got a call from a member (dhcustoms) about working out a deal for a 49 Plymouth business coupe he had. After a few weeks of talking back and forth and exchanging pictures, I took the 51 to Cleveland and brought the 49 home yesterday. Dennis is a great guy to deal with, very honest, and he did an awesome job on this car. Im proud to be the new owner.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 6, 2013
  20. n847

n847

Wow...thats a solid looking car. Love the interior! So what are you planning for it? I see more white paint in your future!

H.A.M.B. mobile app

21. falconvan

falconvan
    from festus, Mo

This one is going to be red; really all it needs is paint at this point. All the mechanicals, suspension, wiring, upholstery, glass, etc is new top to bottom. Im going to drive it as is for the summer, paint it this winter, and call it done for a while. It'll look good next to my wife's 48.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2013
  22. farmer12

farmer12

The interior looks great! Looking forward to the next progress report.

23. cmarcus

cmarcus

Can't wait to see where this goes! Separate thread, or going to continue here?

24. falconvan

falconvan
    from festus, Mo

I'll just keep it going here. Not going to do much to it before winter, it's ready to drive. This winter it'll get some shiny red paint.

25. Bert Kollar

Bert Kollar

Nicest part of that interior is the engine turned dash insert, which by the way, I did. If I didn't have so many projects I would own that coupe . I wanted to put my big block Mopar in it

26. falconvan

falconvan
    from festus, Mo

Bert, this car is a work of art and you and Dennis both did some amazing work on it. I'd like to eventually build a stroked 360 with the same 5 speed I set up in the 51 Dennis has. I've also got a 48 Plymouth coupe I'm building for my wife. These two will look great together at the show.

27. Bert Kollar

Bert Kollar

I appreciate the kind words Here are my projects all powered by Mopar 100_0167.jpg

coupe3.jpg

Attached Files:

28. falconvan

falconvan
    from festus, Mo

Great looking stuff, Bert! Your little RPU is really going to be cool! I've got a 5.3 Chevy in my 48 but this one will definitely get some Mopar power. I was really impressed with how much power that little 318 I put together had. I think a stroked 360 Magnum would do well in the coupe.

29. falconvan

falconvan
    from festus, Mo

Something weird on the key switch on this; you turn it to starter crank position and it will crank but not start until you let it go back to the ignition on position. It sounds like the ignition contacts are not lining up in the switch while the starter contacts are made. Dirty contacts, maybe??

30. falconvan

falconvan
    from festus, Mo

I took the car to our July 4th show last weekend. It drives nice but boy, does it ever need a couple more cylinders and about 300 more HP! Im planning a fuel injected 5.9 Magnum swap this winter with a 5 speed and an 8.8 rear. The paint will have to wait.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2013