Register now to get rid of these ads!

Thermostat housing

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by shootingmonkey, Mar 7, 2013.

1. shootingmonkey

shootingmonkey

I have a 53 chevy 210 and have put a 327 in it with the original radiator. The radiator has the top opening on the passengers side and all the SBC thermostat housings I am seeing all point to the drivers side.

Does anyone know if GM made one old or new, that will point towards the passengers side? I know that I can get the adjustable ones, but don't want to if I can help it.

2. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

292 straight six, I believe will work.

3. Look at a catalogue at the parts store. They are some that go lots of different ways.

4. Or a straight up version. X2 just go to a real auto parts store and get the paper catalog (assuming they still have those) and in the back will be pictures and dimensions. Find the number of one that works.

5. I'm pretty sure the 230/250 six cylinder housing will point you in the right direction. They mount on the engine to orient the hose to the driver's side, but when you bolt it on to a SBC manifold, it will point the hose to the right.

6. an old cast 216-235 6 cyl. thermostat housing will bolt rite on, they go strate up but are 1 & 1/2 inch hose size, just use a rubber hose sleeve inside the hose conection.

7. MikeRose

MikeRose
    from Yuma, AZ

Keep in mind that the 230/250 housing uses a smaller diameter radiator hose. At least mine does. I'm going to replace it with something off of a small block chevy.

8. MikeRose

MikeRose
    from Yuma, AZ

Ha, beat me to it rusty1.

9. This is correct, I used the 6-banger housings on any C10-C30 I converted to a V8. One peek at one at a parts house will tell you.

Bob

10. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

Mopar points up as well and will fit sbc

11. Gator

Gator

My '55 Chevy pickup has one that points straight ahead and at a 45* angle... I think all V8 equipped Tri-5 Chevy are the same.

Other options as mentioned are to flip thru a Murray / Four Seasons catalog, or get one of those 'billet' street-roddy ones that you can rotate 360*

12. X 2. I've done that v. successfully.

BTW, IMHO, cast iron thermostat housings work well with aluminium intakes to stop leaking.

Cosmo

13. 29moonshine

29moonshine

80 's chevy step van points straight at a 45

14. Halfdozen

Halfdozen
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

NAPA W2493 for 80- 81 Cad, cast iron, outlet straight up, 1 1/2" hose.

15. aaggie

aaggie

I used one from a 292 six on my 400SBC in my '89 Mustang. It points to the passenger side and is the same size as the V8. It is cast iron and I bought it at the local NAPA store.

16. shootingmonkey

shootingmonkey

I found one that works. It came on 64 and 65 chevelles. The casting number is 3789162.