Register now to get rid of these ads!

Ever feel like calling it quits from the hobby?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RICKY~RICARDO, Mar 25, 2013.

1. DuckusCrapus

DuckusCrapus

I have to walk away for a bit from time to time. But when you come back you seem more into it than before. Just don't get to a point of being totally burned out. This hobby gives you rewards that you can't get anywhere else.

Good luck!

DC

2. mixedupamx

mixedupamx

I know how you feel! I'm kind of burnt out right now myself. I've got 3 irons in the fire right now (1 is drivable) and sometimes it seems none will ever be done, but what else would I do- Golf????!!!:eek: I think I'll feel more like thrashing in the shop when it gets warm around here. getting my "string stretched" on a bass fishing trip wouldn't hurt my attitude either!

3. MISCONSTUDE

MISCONSTUDE

Built my 55' studebaker 16 yrs. ago, drove it 3 months and totalled it in an accident. Then it sat for 10 yrs. while life was happening. Finally rebuilt it, now I'm going to the drags with my boys when ever we can. Doing the body work and paint right now, hobby no, more like an affliction. 16 yrs. and finally gonna finish it!

4. castirondude

castirondude

Well, around here you can buy a car that's all done with $20k invested - for $10k, vs a wreck for $2k. it's actually hard to justify the wreck when you count all your time.
    The problem is that I always have my own ideas about how it should be done and can usually not find something that's done the way I want it. Sometimes, but not often.

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

5. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

Lately, there are only a couple of shows I like going too, so yeah, I think about quitting. The only time I enjoy driving my cars is Sunday morning when there's no traffic. L.A. sucks..........

6. GREASER815

GREASER815

Nope, I work on my car when I feel that way about everything else. It soothes me, kind of like my own therapy session.

7. falconwagon62

falconwagon62

Never, even when dead, get BBQ'd and as much of my ashes get TIG welded in the ash tray, and I keep crusing....it's also in my will, as who gets me, and my wagon....it's true, it is my life style, not a hobby....

8. Post Apocalyptic Kustoms

Post Apocalyptic Kustoms
    BANNED
    from Outside

9. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

I just ask the wife what new stuff she wants done to the house. After a week or two of that I'm ready to get back on the hotrod. I am always scrounging cheap parts at swap meet for current and future projects so it dont take lots of money to keep it going.

10. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Funny, my friends and I were talking about this same subject Sunday afternoon. They wanted to know, if I thought about using the settlement money from my accident to get a new (non hotrod) car. My answer was no. It never crossed my mind. Every waking thought was about getting that money and getting my T back on the road, only in a better state than it was before.

I think people who consider throwing in the towel, should. This hobby/sport/lifestyle is either in you or on you. By "on you", I mean wearing it on your sleeve. People who are into old cars only to be the "cool guy" not only don't get it, they never will get it.

I've always been into cars. Up until 2006, they were OT cars, but I had the passion for them none the less. Finally building my dream car was the icing on my cake.

Give up? NEVER.

11. Jay Tyrrell

Jay Tyrrell

Fuck no! This is a lifestyle not a hobby for me. If I was to quit I might am well suck on the end of a .45 and end my life! I suggest that you check your vagina at the door man.
    Jay

12. castirondude

castirondude

When I go to work in the shop I always catch a good night's sleep, bring a thermos full of hot coffee, and play my Roku box while I'm working. Netflix has tons of documentaries about people who make world travels, adventures, so it's fascinating to listen to their tales while working. At the end of the day I'll feel like I traveled the world, found safety and good coffee everywhere, and got my car done in the process :)

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

13. T Achilli

T Achilli
    from walworth

I tried quitting twice......for wrong reasons, sold everything only to start over, should have done what most said and took a rest for a while,. I can only say I'm fortunate enough to have got 2 of the 4 cars back I regret selling. My current wife knows there is a project car or two, parts cars and half a garage full of parts in constant rotation til the day I can't lift a wrench..... It's a way of life.... Regardless what type of cars or racing I have to be involved in something.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2013
  14. 210sedan

210sedan
    from upnorth,wi

not quit,but last spring i finished what was my last project.
    thought after 35 years of having a project in the garage would see what it felt like to wake up without one.spent the next 30 days looking for one. do not want to go threw that again

15. I just took about 4 months off (from working on them at least) and now I'm getting the bug again. I've boxed myself into a corner with projects, all need work but now I have no room.....I know it's not a bad place to be but it sucks wasting time and effort to think of ways to get work done. To top it off I work on vehicles for a living, so burning out is a real threat. A friend said what I do is like a mailman going for walks on his day off.

The show I go to also are few and far between and I only really cruise at night when it's cooler and no traffic......even if I get home after midnight.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2013
  16. telecaster_6

telecaster_6

I get super frusterated about 2/3rds the way through every build. Its pretty natural to get burned out on huge projects like we get ourselves into. It takes a ton of drive and patience to put 1000 plus hours into something like a hot rod.

17. Rooster619

Rooster619
    from phoenix AZ

key is never to rush and get burned out! its a way of life for alot of us. for long as I can remember I have always been around a car either with my gramps or the old man and its always something that I've loved! calling it quits will never be a option.... trust me there are days where you wanna launch a sledgehammer into the side of the car but that comes with the territory. take a few minutes go inside have a smoke or beer or whatever it is you do to calm down and get back to it. there are days where I just get tired shut it down for the night and when I wake up in the morning to leave the house I see my car and smile because I know its mine and I see what it will become!

18. indyjps

indyjps

Just go golfing one time and you'll run back into the garage and start on your project, block sanding OK, change a trans with no floor jack OK, chase down that electric draw NP. Really what do you want to do instead, go to the mall?

19. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

I thought about calling it quits a few years ago and glad I didn't because the Victoria showed up and another project starting in june.

20. 39 Ford

39 Ford

It is not a Hobby it is a way of life, would love to quit but that will have to wait until I am too old to do anything or dementia comes. At 68 I got another project last week a 47 Ford Tudor.

21. J scow

J scow
    from Seattle

I say sell it all cheap!

What do you have?...
    I'll take it........

I'm not an addict...
    All the Kool cats are doing it!

22. desotot

desotot

Quit! Quit?

??
    I wonder if there are old cars in heaven?

23. bustingear

bustingear

Quit yer whineing

24. Cowtown Speed Shop

Cowtown Speed Shop
    from KC

Your lucky! it is a hobby for you, Some of us are not so lucky......for some of us it is a disease that we were born with or caught at a very young age. And there is no cure known to man for it.

25. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Never. As frustrating as it is at times, not having the cash to do what I want motivates me more to complete the latest project. You often see stalled projects for sale and wonder did they bite off more than they can chew, did their ambition outstrip their ability, did they fall on hard times or did they just loose motivation and throw their hands up in the air out of frustration.
    This is how I keep my sanity. :D

Last edited: Mar 26, 2013
  26. If it was easy everyone would do it. It is the way you challenge your self that keeps you young. It's when you Quit wanting something that age creeps up on you.
    I'm 71 but my bucket list keep growing . I see no end in sight

Gammz likes this.
  27. RICKY~RICARDO

RICKY~RICARDO
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Milwaukee

Actually it must be a life style for me since i have been in this revolving door of cars since my first car so yes i agree it is a sickness lol.

Not having all the cash to get where i want to be is the most frustrating part of it.

28. chinarus

chinarus
    from Georgia

I agree with dirt_slinger since racing vacuumed up 20 years of my retirement funds.

But there are worse money pits than an old hot rod.
    My brother dumps his extra money in a slot machine.
    My neighbor has a super expensive fishing boat and gear.
    My son in law has a camper, 4 wheel truck, hunting camp lease, 4 wheeler, expensive guns, etc to support his "hobby".

Just take a break for a while as there are all kinds of addictions.

29. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

Never. But it has been perpetually postponed for a while now.

30. streetrodder13

streetrodder13

This isn't a hobby...its life. So I guess if I was wanting to give it up... it would be considered suicide?!?!