Register now to get rid of these ads!

Should I lube my new window run channels? 55 Ford car

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by flathead41ford, Mar 25, 2013.

1. flathead41ford

flathead41ford
    from Mentor OH

I am installing all new window channels in my doors. Should I lube them with anything or just leave it dry? The channels are covered with that fuzzy felt looking stuf where the window rides. Thanks.

2. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

Maybe silicone. Just maybe.

3. You shouldn't have to. HRP

4. harpo1313

harpo1313
    from wareham,ma

leave them be,putting anything on them will mat down your fuzzies and youll have rattling windows

5. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

Try it first. Sometimes the new runner can be a little tight until it wears in. Some clear silicone spray can be used if it feels too tight. After it wears in you will be fine. The fuzzies that I have used never matted down. Like new door rubbers it may need a little use before it works perfectly.

6. Dane

Dane
    from Soquel, CA

Silicone works great and does not clog. I wait till the windows start getting dry, dusty and slow. Sweep and vac then spray.

3M makes a dry silicone that's perfect for window channel -

3M 08897

7. old.hot.rodder

old.hot.rodder

If needed,:) I also agree with silicone.

8. dry graphite powder is better than slilcone

9. DICK SPADARO

DICK SPADARO
    Member Emeritus

Silicone spray nor any spray lube should not be used on fuzzy window channels, the base carrier has a tendency to degrade the fuzzy's adhesive and this jams up the operation. You screen name has 41ford in it so that's to assume that is what you are working on. On that style car windows that ride with a drag should be addressed by checking the for/aft position of the glass riser to make sure that the channel is not catching on the glass riser edge or the if the glass has been replaced it has not been cut too large. If you do want to slide the windows easier you can use talcum, Baby powder or powdered graphite to eliminate sticking. More common hard operstion is not with the window channels but from dirty or rusty window regulators.

10. jstanotheidiot

jstanotheidiot

I would never use silicone any where near a car, If you ever have to do paint work in future its very hard to get rid of silicone over spray and will cause problem's resulting in fisheyes