Register now to get rid of these ads!

FLATCAD RACING Bonneville 2011 Build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 38FLATTIE, Jul 27, 2010.

1. firingorder1

firingorder1

Congrats Buddy!!! You do realize that two is nowhere near enough! See ya on the salt next year for a couple more.

2. pops29

pops29
    from turlock ca

A Red Hat sitting between them is really going to look good next year !!!

3. Vergil

Vergil

[​IMG]

So cool Buddy, congrats to the bunch of you. A suggestion,
    you probably should build a bigger shelf though ...

Vergil

4. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

Thanks everyone!

I'm really hoping a hat rack is what I'll need.....

5. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

6. Flat32

Flat32

Cool is an understatement. This kind of thing is exactly what I want to do with my Flathead Ford. Already have Solidworks and use it to model my engine and parts.

Flat32

7. Vergil

Vergil

Amazing .... I use Solidworks but after watching how advanced the thinking and simulations are I feel like I use mine as an Etch-a-Sketch ... thanks for the link ... appreciated ...

Vergil

8. SAVAGE

SAVAGE
    Alliance Vendor

9. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

Ok guys, here's he last chance to get one before we head to the salt!

FlatCad Quest 200 tee shirts, printed on "natural' colored Gidan Ultra 6.0 oz., pre-shrunk 100% cotton Tees!

You may not be able to be on the salt with us, but you can still support our efforts by buying a cool tee shirt!

Med-XL shirts are $18.99, XXL and 3XL are $20.99, and shipping is $3.99. You can Paypal [email protected], or go to www.flatcaddy.com. Please allow 2-3 weeks shipping, because I spend 2 weeks out of every month in Pennsylvania, and may not be home to ship. <!-- / message --><!-- attachments -->

Attached Files:

10. havi

havi

11. Barn Find

Barn Find
    from Missouri

12. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

Progress continues, and engine assembly will start soon!

We could use some advice/direction on the new bellypan!

From Randy:
    Hey Buddy, I'm making good progress-suspension stuff is done, parachute
    is mounted, push bar is made and mounted, drip rails are finished and
    John got the wheelwells trimmed and will have the flares glassed on
    tomorrow.

Anyhow I'm workin on the belly pan and was wondering if there
    are any rules as to what can be done at the back as far as enclosing
    the rear suspension, because it hangs way below the frame rails?
    I read through the rule book but its about as clear as mud. Enclosing it is
    not a problem, but didn't want to make a mistake and it not be legal.

Here are pics of the rear end- any suggestions before I get busy?

You can see how far down the 4 link and shocks are below the belly pan. I
    was just gonna make a enclosure around them. Can the front of them be
    pointed or angled at the front for aero? Also, I was thinking I would
    make them narrow at the front and wider at the rear for a Venturi
    effect. That would help suck the rear of the car down some.

Attached Files:

13. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

I thought I'd update this thread with our trip to B'ville this year.

The season is over for us, and it was bittersweet. The salt is definitely a fickle mistress!

We only made 5 runs on the salt, but feel we accomplished a lot. Out of those 5 runs, we qualified for impound 3 times, licensed a rookie, got that rookie a RECORD, qualified for the long course, and had a top exit speed of 189 mph. The salt didn't treat us as well as we had hoped, but we'll take what successes we can, or what successes we can dream up! Lol!

Here is a quick rundown of our week:

Saturday morning, after the Driver's Meeting, we were the first car down course 3. Dale qualified for XXO/BFALT, with a 167.5 run on a 131.028 record.

Sunday morning we were on the starting line, and fired the engine to warm it up. Wow, we had did a little tuning in impound, and it sounded good! We got to the starting line and fired the engine. WTF? The engine went to popping and back firing, and we had to head to the pits. The coil wire had worked loose on the coil, and arced on the rotor in the dizzy, melting the rotor like I've never seen.We changed dizzies, and were ready to go again.

No worries, Randy Jackson jumped in the car, and we qualified out of the rookie line with a 133.892. Randy and Dale both felt the car was a little loose, we we dropped the rear tire pressure a little.

Monday morning, Randy backed the record with a 156.544 run, for a new record of 145.218. CONGRATS Randy!

We headed back to the pits, and got the car ready for comp coupe, made a trip to tech, then out to the course for a tuning run. The car was FAT, and I ran a 166 in the quarter, and popped the chute. That was a LONG way from where I wanted to be, so I couldn't see any reason to push it.

We went back to the pits, did a gear change, leaned the engine a little, then headed to town for the day.

Tuesday morning, we headed to the starting line. Danny and I were riding the dirt bikes, and a car decided we weren't worth yielding too. Danny bounced off of the rear fender, and I laid my bike down. Road rash is one thing-road rash packed with salt is another! I managed to gash my ankle on the foot peg or kickstand, so out came the medical kit, and we wrapped up the cut.

I have to admit, I made the poorest drive from a driver's standpoint you can imagine! I hard a hard time getting it in gear-think I shifted that 4 speed 6 times! Don will post the video later. Still, the car was running MUCH better, and I qualified on Salt Cat's XXO/BFCC record of 185.111 with a 186.081 run, with a 189 exit speed.

Now, we're getting excited! The plan was to try and back the record, then head to the long course for a 200 mph attempt. After talking with John Beck, and Rich at ERC, we leaned the pill 5, added 2 deg timing, and went to the next hotter spark plug.

Wednesday morning, everyone was excited. We drain the engine water every night, because I'm not comfortable leaving the block full with the copper head gaskets.

Daaaamn guys, we have an air leak in the system-I can't get it burped! Double daaaamn, looks like a head gasket! We pulled the car out of impound, back to the pits, and swapped the passenger head gasket. Oooops-now it's poring water! Long story short, we had cracked the #6 exhaust port, so we loaded up and came home.

I tore into the engine on Friday, and found the problem. Good thing is, that it's not too tough of a fix. I also noticed the #5 intake looks too clean, so we're going to have to investigate that for a possible leak.

I want to thank everyone for all the support here on the board! You guys are great!

A very special thanks goes out to John Beck, for continuously helping us on our tuning, and to Stainless.

Bob, you and Linda's hospitality was first class, and letting us use your dyno was priceless. Thank you so much! I was so happy, and relieved, to see you show up in the pits, albeit battered and bruised. Obviously, the precautions for safety you had taken, worked!

John Kimbrough, you are a fiberglass king! Your work made the car SLICK, and we will continue Quest 200 next year! Thanks again!

Attached Files:

14. Thanks for the detailed story Buddy.

15. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

<HR style="COLOR: #e5e5e5; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #e5e5e5" SIZE=1> <!-- / icon and title -->
    <!-- message -->The FlatCad crew is looking for some good ole' fashioned HAMB support!

[​IMG]

We'd sure like you to register and vote for the FlatCad coupe in the Champion Spark Plugs 'Search for a Champion' contest that starts tomorrow. Lets be honest, we could use the money to help us be the first flathead powered competition coupe to go over 200 at Bonneville. The world needs more things 'flat' that breathe fire, make noise, haul ass and excite the masses - and we plan on delivering just that!

Our Entry: - you can vote once a day, so do :D

Dates: January 6th - February 2 . . . if we make it to a Top 15 finalist, we'll be begging for more support. :)

http://alwaysachampion.com/search-fo...4#.Usltv_RDtuJ

Voting Registration: - Yes, you have to register, not a big deal . . . its the 'rules'

https://alwaysachampion.com/search-f...register/voter

Purpose: We'd like to show Champion and the entire racing community that a traditional, totally bad-ass engine stuffed in what once was Dad's old 'grocery getter' coupe, built buy a talented team of average guys . . . who all came together on the HAMB - is exactly what they should care about and WANT to sponsor. Why the hell not?

So hey gang, check it out . . . we appreciate all the support you've given us over the years!

Thank You!

16. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Done deal! I'm glad y'all are still trying to push this old beast past the 200 mph mark. Cool doesn't begin to describe it. You have my vote every day from here on out. Eli

17. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

Thank you-we really appreciate the support!

REMEMBER-VOTE DAILY!

We will be at GNRS, in building 9. If you're at the show, please stop by and see us!

18. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Ya got our votes.

19. zibo

zibo
    from dago ca

That thing is wild looking with the fenders!
    Can you believe it started as that rusty hunk of ....
    and turn into this blazing beast!

TP

20. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

Thanks everyone! It's a new day, so that means a new round of voting! Have you voted today?

This morning we are #27, and need to be in the top 15. We still have a ways to go before Feb.2!

21. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

We've moved up to 23rd, but still have a long way,and a lot of days to go!

I appreciate the effort, and hope everyone realizes the effort still needed to win.

Please, send the link to everyone you know, and encourage them to help us out.

22. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

23. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

Once again, I'd like to thank everybody that has been helping us!

We are still in the 23rd spot. Now I know, if we can get just another small percentage of the HAMB to jump on board, we could own this thing.

Please copy this post and post it on your own threads, facebook, heck-send it to friends in an email!

The FlatCad crew is looking for some good ole' fashioned HAMB support!

[​IMG]

We'd sure like you to register and vote for the FlatCad coupe in the Champion Spark Plugs 'Search for a Champion' contest that starts tomorrow. Lets be honest, we could use the money to help us be the first flathead powered competition coupe to go over 200 at Bonneville. The world needs more things 'flat' that breathe fire, make noise, haul ass and excite the masses - and we plan on delivering just that!

Our Entry: - you can vote once a day, so do :D

Dates: January 6th - February 2 . . . if we make it to a Top 15 finalist, we'll be begging for more support. :)

http://alwaysachampion.com/search-fo...4#.Usltv_RDtuJ

Voting Registration: - Yes, you have to register, not a big deal . . . its the 'rules'

https://alwaysachampion.com/search-f...register/voter

Purpose: We'd like to show Champion and the entire racing community that a traditional, totally bad-ass engine stuffed in what once was Dad's old 'grocery getter' coupe, built buy a talented team of average guys . . . who all came together on the HAMB - is exactly what they should care about and WANT to sponsor. Why the hell not?

Thanks again, friends!

24. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]I want to thank everyone supporting us on this! Kudos to you![/FONT]

I have no doubt that if we can get the HAMB behind us, we can win this contest!

It's up to all of you-let the roundy rounders and drag cars win, or bring home a win for the vintage hot rodders!

Thanks everyone!

25. Voting from here too! One more today.

26. Lancer

Lancer

Dropped by the FlatCad HQ today and grabbed a couple of shots as they were mocking up the new motor.

Attached Files:

27. cvstl

cvstl
    from StL MO
    1. H.A.M.B. Chapel

There's one more.

28. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

nudderone and a bump!

29. Bullet Nose

Bullet Nose

Later than usual but my vote is in for today.