Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features '41 Plymouth - First Car!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by zkilla396, Aug 2, 2012.

1. coryw

coryw
    from Omaha, NE

I was looking at the top right picture in post #75. Thanks.

2. zkilla396

zkilla396
    from Peoria, IL

Coryw - my bad. Thought you meant hub caps...duh..

Hubs are part of ECI disc conversion kit. There are some kits out there that are less spendy but require mods to stock parts - wanted to keep stock brakes intact in case want to go back so went with eci kit. Nice pieces for sure!

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

3. j hansen

j hansen

Great choice of car,and a nice color.

4. zkilla396

zkilla396
    from Peoria, IL

Capture.JPG

Capture1.JPG

I've thought about both of these - not sure what color though (maybe dark silver...??)

I think I like the color it is now....it'll stay that way for awhile.

**UPDATE - front end is up in the air and stock suspension is almost apart - next step, cleaning, more cleaning, and then reassembly with new bits.

5. monkeyspunk79

monkeyspunk79

Like those with the bigger trim ring and darker color. Red is sharp...but its very common now it seems. Your car will look good no matter what you choose, but that top one with a dark silver / charcoal would set it apart.

6. zkilla396

zkilla396
    from Peoria, IL

Well I am making some progress - got the front suspension pretty much apart, and working on cleaning everything up. Unfortunately the lower control arm spring perches are shot - but the rest of the arm looks fine.

Any suggestions? I've found several places with NOS or used lowers, but it would be nice just to find a new perch. I've thought about fabbing something too.

What would you do?!

7. anythinggm

anythinggm
    from Oregon

Find good used ones..

8. Those Auxillary Seat Coupes are not common, only available for 1940/41 in Plymouth......I have a 1941 P11 version..........nice to see another.......andyd

Attached Files:

9. Nope.......I don't think that blue color was original. Looks good on the car, however.
    If you look under and behind things, you will eventually find a snitch of the original
    color. Like plym 46 said, the P15-D24 forum has a bunch of guys with old flathead
    Mopars. I enjoy participating in both forums. My 47 Plym is a flathead and still
    using the 6V electrical system.

I don't know if you were told......left hand lug bolts turn left, right ones go right.
    Makes it a lot easier when trying to remove a wheel. Marked on head of bolt.

If you find some wheels off a 56 Plymouth or Dodge, they should be newer style
    centers and 15".

10. zombie77

zombie77

Congrats on the coupe cant wait to see the progress

11. zkilla396

zkilla396
    from Peoria, IL

Quick update - all front suspension parts are off, found new lower control arms. Control arms are ready to go to powder coater. Waiting on steering arms to be modified by Fatman.

Next up - assembly! Should have her ready to go by late April, I'm hoping. I still have to swap the M/C as well - will be starting on that this week while waiting for parts to get back. I am hoping to do a pretty thorough step by step assembly of front suspension / disc conversion, so stay tuned for many pics!

12. farmer12

farmer12

Final assembly is always the best fun! Looking forward to the progress pics.

13. anythinggm

anythinggm
    from Oregon

GREAT!! Good job. I'll be blowing mine back apart this week to start the air ride in the front of mine.

14. 32Tudor396

32Tudor396

I am jealous...I brought a 41 business coupe home when I was 15.Very rough and someone had gutted the interior.Almost 20 yrs later it turns out to be the car my fiance's grandmother learned to drive in.I'll be watching...She's been moveing up on priority list!

15. zkilla396

zkilla396
    from Peoria, IL

anythinggm - I'll be anxious to see the air ride setup - that may go on the car bucket list haha.

16. zkilla396

zkilla396
    from Peoria, IL

After not being able to find a machine shop to do my spindles, I headed down to the old man's shop (radconjon on here). After fooling around for a half hour trying - with no luck - to get the old bushings out, we decided to make a tool.

lathe_1.jpg spindle_1.jpg

tool_1.jpg tool_3.jpg

As you can see, we turned down a piece of bar stock machining two shoulders - smallest diameter matched bushing inner diameter, middle step matched bushing OD. Worked for removing as well as pressing in new bushings - remember to line up your grease holes!!

Now to find a reamer....

17. anythinggm

anythinggm
    from Oregon

Nice job! My local machine shop did mine for $40 bucks. Guess I got lucky..

18. zkilla396

zkilla396
    from Peoria, IL

Ok so the final piece of the puzzle before re-assembling this front end is finding new castle nuts for the outer control arm connections. The rebuild kit did not come with these, and I can't seem to locate any around here.

Should the kit have come with these? I have a call in to Kanter but in the meantime, can anyone help?

Seems the threads are a bit oddball too - more square thread or almost like acme thread.

19. radconjon

radconjon

Did you try Fastenal?

20. zkilla396

zkilla396
    from Peoria, IL

Tried Fastenal, O'Reilley's....

Try Grainger??

21. papasmurf240

papasmurf240

You're welcome to come dig through my nuts and bolts pile. I know I have quite a few castle nuts pulled from my old shoebox parts car. Not sure if they are the same size or not, but its worth a shot.

22. anythinggm

anythinggm
    from Oregon

Did you find some castle nuts for the trunion bushing bolt?

23. anythinggm

anythinggm
    from Oregon

If you haven't already, you might give these guys a call. I have found a few old NOS stuff thru them.
    www.oldmoparts.com

24. monkeyspunk79

monkeyspunk79

Can you post up a picture of what you need? Sometimes Tractor Supply in Peoria, Farm & Fleet in Morton, or Big R in Pekin has hardware like that for ag applications.

BTW: Nice job on the bushing tool fab. I love seeing stuff like this, way to tackle the problem!

25. mustang6147

mustang6147
    from Kent, Ohio

26. zkilla396

zkilla396
    from Peoria, IL

Work has me too busy to get anything done on the car :( - I will check all sources listed above - thanks for the advice and I'll check back when I find a solution / get back to work!!

27. jesse1980

jesse1980

I love that old Plymouth. I'd buy that In a minute.

28. monkeyspunk79

monkeyspunk79

29. zkilla396

zkilla396
    from Peoria, IL

Well I've been traveling practically nonstop since May. Although work doesn't seem to be slowing too much I should be in town more. Gotta get this thing rolling before it gets cold!!

Anyone want to help?! Haha

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

30. WWinIL

WWinIL

Yes, get that thing rolling again!

Are you planning on going to Iron Invasion this fall? I should have my '41 sorted out by then.