Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 41 plymouth coupe 392 hemi build thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by farmer12, Apr 7, 2010.

1. Boobs and wheels, mans two best friends !:D

2. bigrickl74

bigrickl74

Where might one see these 300+pics at. Great shots!

3. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Post a travel thread about the Texas trip?
    I guess i am not only one,who like to see more pics from that journey.

4. davo461

davo461

I think that Finnrodder may have been reading my mind about a travel thread, if you can find the time.
    Davo.

5. farmer12

farmer12

I've just talked my buddy Bart (Bart 56), and he's planning to start a pic thread soon with a LOT of pics of our last visit to the USA. :D

6. ESGEE

ESGEE
    from Sweden

It took me 2 days to go throu this thread, that is the best looking Plymouth cupé i have seen...

7. farmer12

farmer12

Thank you ESGEE! Another few weeks and I'll be done with the metal work and I can start dismantling for body and paint. Can't wait!:D

8. ESGEE

ESGEE
    from Sweden

Can fully undertsand that. What color are you going for?

9. farmer12

farmer12

Black. With little to no metallic in there. I prefer the old black, no frills, just black.

10. 1959apache

1959apache

Well hurry up already, we are waiting! :D:D:D

11. ESGEE

ESGEE
    from Sweden

Yes the right choice:) Looking forward to see it painted...

12. what could i say! me likey black!

13. Real HOT RODS are red or black!!

14. farmer12

farmer12

Despite it being cold outside, with the heater on, I managed to get another 8 hours done today in the garage. The inner deck lid still needed some attention.....Welded on my fabricated piece and modified a few little things here and there. Did a test fit on the outer skin, and it appears the bottom will require just a little more bending in order to get it in shape. Nothing major, but still. More tomorrow!

Attached Files:

15. powhatan42

powhatan42

Looking good Eric! I am getting excited to restart my project very soon! Look out I may be gaining on you...LOL Actually we are looking at a year to roll. Thanks for all your time and efforts to build your rod, I will most definitely learn from the side steps.

Be Well,

Glenn

16. Hogman

Hogman
    from Dallas, TX

Whenever I'm in the shop, the hours just seem to fly by. 8 hours may seem a lot, but I know the amount of effort and time that is required to do a job like you've just done today. Well done and keep up the good work. Looks like you guys had fun in Texas as well!

17. anythinggm

anythinggm
    from Oregon

Eric, was it difficult to separate the inner from the outer skin?. I need to work on mine too. My hinges are jacked up, PO's somewhere in the cars life, they welded the hinges to the lid. and there are no nuts zerts to run bolts thru for the hinges or the support prop arms. I wanna go in and make threaded caged blocks on the back side that will allow minor adjustability in the hinges, like a door striker would have.

18. speed v8

speed v8

Nice work on the inner skin so far. Getting ready for paint soon?

19. farmer12

farmer12

Good to hear you'll be working on the Plymouth again! Can't wait to see how you'll be progressing!

20. farmer12

farmer12

Thank you Hogman. At times it's difficult to convince people you've worked on a part for so long, I've given up. Only people in the know realize the amount of hours go into it.

Taking the skins apart requires patience. They are spot welded every few inches. Use a screwdriver to pry the skins apart and carefully cut each spot weld with a grinder.(very thin cutting disc). Take your time and you'll be fine.

21. farmer12

farmer12

YES! Finished the inner deck lid today. Had to replace another small portion of the outer lip, which was too weak in my opinion due to some rust. Fabricated a new piece and clamped it in there. Yes, the first pic is how it was before I welded it in place. You just can't have enough clamps!

Then it was time to weld in the sheet metal pieces in the lid. Gave it a quick prime and it's done. The last pic shows that I haven't cleaned up the welds completely as this will be covered by the outer skin. Job done!:D:D:D

Attached Files:

22. anythinggm

anythinggm
    from Oregon

Eric, I see that your skin doesn't have any bolt threads either for your hinges or prop arms. Am I missing something? How where they attached? Looks great by the way..

23. farmer12

farmer12

Thank you. Here is an old pic before the restoration.

Attached Files:

24. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Nice progress again,Eric.Just one suggestion:buy a spotweld cutter.That makes getting rid off the old spotwelds really easy.I have Blair spotweld cutter,i think it was a good investment.

25. anythinggm

anythinggm
    from Oregon

I see, completely different hinges. See what I have to deal with..

Attached Files:

26. farmer12

farmer12

Thanks Antti. Too late now.:D

27. Moparts

Moparts

Great job on the inner deck lid. Getting close to paint now I guess? You've done an amazing job so far, awesome. Can't wait to see some color!

28. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Nope,its good for your next project.I know that this wont be your last one.Its like a disease,you know:D

29. farmer12

farmer12

Thanks for the comments Moparts. I guess I'll need another week or 2 before I can start disassembling everything. And then the fun can begin!:D

30. Mnhotrodbuilder

Mnhotrodbuilder
    from Afton, MN

The finish line is in sight!