Register now to get rid of these ads!

40-41 ford pickup picture thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by flatheadz-forever, Sep 27, 2011.

1. Tuff Tin

Tuff Tin

It can and has been done but a ton of work and not an easy project.
    Mike

2. Mart

Mart

The standard car and pickup fenders and grilles are similar enough to work but the hood isn't deep enough to cope with the extra height of the pickup cowl. As said, it can be done but not an easy job and very easy to get very very wrong.

Mart.

3. shtbox

shtbox

thanks for the advice guys. I did some measuring to confirm you guys are right on.

4. graybearded

graybearded

The '40/'47 Pickup Fiberglass headliners have come to be, I'll have them at the Pate swap meet, space 787, Ave 7 or 876 on the back side of 787. Approved the mold today, it's a beauty, pulling five on first order, all in a real light Dove Grey. I'll post photos on or about 4/24/13.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2013
  5. Monkey

Monkey
    from Owasso, OK

Hey shtbox, what rear fenders are those? And was it hard to do the tilt front end?
    Dad and I are thinking about making a gasser out of my old cruzer...

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

Attached Files:

exterminator likes this.
  6. graybearded

graybearded

I'd buy your stock fenders and running boards if your going to cut your truck up! I'm sure freight wouldn't be too bad.

7. Flori56nda

Flori56nda
    from usa

nice dependable driver though![​IMG]

8. Your truck is right, just the way that it is.

9. fat141

fat141

Got any more pics please?:cool:
    Cheers
    Rod

10. goodkarma1955

goodkarma1955

Any pics of a 40-41 chopped top? How much did you take out?

11. n.z.rodder

n.z.rodder

You can buy repop lower cowl panels that will allow the passenger car fenders to bolt straight up.

Scotty

12. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

Yeah his truck is, it's him that isn't. He's a little warped. Too much nitro fumes.

13. goodkarma1955......we took out 2" out of mine, back window is stock height. I'm using the stock center bar on front windshield.
    cw.

Attached Files:

droppedstepside likes this.
  14. oldrelics.......I'll give my buddy a call, I think it's a Jaguar color........stay tuned......

15. Topsterguy

Topsterguy

Mine on the Reno Air Race trip with a bunch of good ole American boys last Sept.

Attached Files:

16. Look'n good rolling down the highway!

17. oldrelics....Mike Cole told me it's late 1940's-early 1950's Jaguar color "SUEDE GREEN" I hope this help with your project..............cw.

Attached Files:

18. 41pickup

41pickup
    from norway

my 41

Attached Files:

19. Larry W

Larry W
    from kansas

A couple more

Attached Files:

20. Stu

Stu
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

Attached Files:

PONTNAK123 and droppedstepside like this.
  21. graybearded

graybearded

Guys my '40/'47 headliners are here now! As I said they are still going to be $290. They look like the contour of the outside of the cab. Smooth gelcoat so you can scuff them and paint to match your truck. They are three piece. No packaging fee for the first 5 buyers if you swear to post pictures of your installation! There is a step down lip for the roof panel & the cornners, hard to see in photos but it's there. The front edge rest on the header panel, the rear slips behind the window seal. A little extra meat on the corner panels for trim to fit. I can ship almost anywhere in CON US VIA the grey dog, for $85. and $15. packaging.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 2, 2013
  22. George G

George G

Wow. Nice.

What do you do to cover / blend in the seam between the rood and side pieces?

23. 1950Effie

1950Effie
    from no where

My 41 project. Drug it out of a barn in northern Iowa about 12 years ago. It had been sitting there since 1961. Drive train is not really HAMB friendly.

Attached Files:

24. graybearded

graybearded

That's going to be a killer truck!

I don't know why your drive train isn't H.A.M.B friendly. Now days FE valve covers doesn't allways mean it's a FE, but the dstributor is still in the front, that makes it friendly to me.

Wish we could have connected at Pate. I had my '40 headliners down there but didn't have a good display demo for them. Next year or maybe the fall Goodguys.

Saw a bumper sticker in the Star Cafe over in the Stock Yards last weekend that read
    "EAT MORE BEEF! THE WEST WASN'T WON ON SALADS"

25. graybearded

graybearded

George,

You can take that seam down as nice as you want it, you know trim to fit! You just have to remember you can't put it back on as easily. I've thought about useing upholstery piping on mine I'm just not quite there yet. I'll likeky just get my fit where I want it then paint it to satisfaction. The seem is needed both in manufacturing the kit and shipping!

26. Falcon Sprint

Falcon Sprint

I didn't think I could pick a favorite out of all the cool rides in this thread, but MAN, your truck is
    sa-weeeet!!!

I could look through this thread at least once a week. I was introduced to cool, classic rides by my uncle who drives an awesome '40 coupe that he has owned for over 45 years. And, when I was in high school my dad bought a '41 truck, in which I learned how to drive stick.

My dad ended up giving the truck to my 2 older brothers and I will never forgive them for selling it without asking me first.

27. mustangmike6996

mustangmike6996
    from the D

slick looking ride

28. nxcess

nxcess
    from Mesa, AZ

40 bed with stuff.JPG

40 door handles.JPG

40 engine.JPG

40 grille.JPG

40 headliner.JPG

40 hoodside.JPG

40 interior 3.JPG

40 radiator cover.JPG

40 tailgate.JPG

40 taillights.JPG [/ATTACH][/ATTACH][/ATTACH][/ATTACH][/ATTACH][/ATTACH][/ATTACH][/ATTACH][/ATTACH]

This was my 40 that I built several years ago. Did everything but the upholstery and the molded plastic A/C - armrests - consoles.
    Top was chopped two inches except rear window. Top was pancaked a little to get rid of the 10 gallon hat look. Rear wheels were moved back two inches and fenders radiused to get rid of the giant rear fender apron. Fenders were also bobbed and VW taillights added. Bed was shortened. Bed was tubbed 1 1/2" on each side with a new interior sides added that formed drip rails top keep water from running into the bed. Bed was sprayed with bed liner as this was a most everyday work truck ( outside sales ). Custom door handles. Hood seam was welded and the rear corners were rounded. Custom made grille. Engine was an IROC 350. P/B booster was behind the cab, under the bed. Custom A/C unit, door arm rests and upper and lower consoles were molded by a friend in the A/C business. On of a kind!
    The tailgate has a double wall, one to keep things from denting it and to hide the latch mechanism. Would fold down just like a modern tailgate. Had electric door locks on doors and tailgate.
    The paint was lacquer, all three colors were at the same level, ie; sprayed the whole thing base white, then masked off the areas to be cream and gold and then painted the turquoise. The masked off the turquoise and unmasked and painted the cream. Then masked off the cream and unmasked and painted the gold. Then rubbed the entire truck.
    Sold it once and then later bought it back and then sold it again. Put probably over 50K miles on it. I still miss it sometimes.

exterminator likes this.
  29. This looks great, very smooth corners. I'd like to see some pictures of this inside a cab, installing and finished with vinyl material.

30. graybearded

graybearded

I can't imagine stretching upholstery over it but I'm sure it will happen.
    My reason for making these was the desire for a headliner that looked like the contours of the exterior of the roof. The interior of my previous forty pickup had painted doors & dash. My vivsion was to carry that right on up & over the headliner. Thanks !!