Register now to get rid of these ads!

History NHRA Junior Stock

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by colesy, Aug 12, 2007.

1. 7967967

I have a load of photos. dickie ogles has more than he can cary. ill try to scan and post some of them. dickie and I both live in bowling green ky. I was in dallas at the springnationals in 71 with them

2. AHotRod

AHotRod

We would love to see your photos :)

3. X2 :cool:

4. biscaynes

biscaynes

5. lawman

lawman

Wow, Those are some GREAT pic's !!! Thank's for posting.

6. automaticslim

automaticslim
    from new jersey

Sad to report the passing of Norm Fryer. Norm ran the 007 '66 427 Chevy very successfully back in the day. I used to see him run at Atco back in the mid '60s. Norm passed on Wednesday, Febuary 6 at his home in Williamstown, NJ.

7. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

Sad news indeed. I got to watch him kick butt at Indy a few times. If you were near the starting line when he dumped the clutch you could feel it in your chest!

8. biscaynes

biscaynes

sad to hear, rip norm

[​IMG]

9. I raced Norm a few times..I can't remember the box score, but I bet it was in his favor.
    A real nice guy..Sad to hear this.

It's really too bad that NHRA screwed up the class books so that a 69 Camaro could run every possible class...thereby taking away the variety in Stock Eliminator..It's a shame that cars like this aren't still out there in their own classes.

10. JollyGreenGiant

JollyGreenGiant

That ain't all that the NHRA screwed up! :mad:

Terry Bell likes this.
  11. automaticslim

automaticslim
    from new jersey

Yeah, and I remember watching the Gunning Brothers 4 door '57 Chevy wagon get down the track pretty well at Atco also!

12. goodwrench 1957

goodwrench 1957

What do you mean, about the NHRA being screwed up?

13. I was just giving a specific example about the class breaks.
    One could write a book about the subject.
    Maybe Ken has time to elaborate...

Last edited: Feb 11, 2013
  14. Among the worst things they did was their policy of having everchanging rules from what had been in place for years and their changing of weight breaks in the stock classes that obsoleted lots of cars overnight. Their consolidating/eliminating of classes and then forcing those cars to run in an eliminator bracket instead wasn't a favorite of racers either. But that was years ago, now they seem to have their heads firmly implanted in major sponsors back sides and are also kissing same while giving the middle finger to everyone who is not in the Pro classes.

15. BHfanGB

BHfanGB

16. cb3961

cb3961
    from Ohio

I recall Tarrant's AC Cobra AHRA car, blue with a black top. I have it in a pic from the '71 AHRA Winternationals...

17. 409Rcr

409Rcr
    from Bear, DE

Found some more old negatives from days long gone. Need help identifying this car. I think it is the Reich Brothers from Baltimore. Not sure.

[​IMG]

18. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

awesome wagon

19. cockerham

cockerham

you are correct this is the Reich Bros. car. Fred and Paul. Car painted by Jack Trost at Jims auto body. Can I get a copy of this picture . We traveled together in the 1967 and 68.

20. cb3961

cb3961
    from Ohio

Bud Rowe himself told me years ago he was thee 1st NHRA Stock class winner with a 350/255 car. His "HOT SHOT" I/S '69 Chevy II at the 1969 NATIONALS.

21. cb3961

cb3961
    from Ohio

My friend Charlie Mandry took this photograph at Dragway 42 in 1969. Thank You.

22. cb3961

cb3961
    from Ohio

ATTENTION in the pits Please !!! John Ulrey's daughter is on facebook. She is looking for pictures of her Father's cars. He lost them all in ahouse fire 19 years ago. ANY help would be truly appreciated. John loves seeing all these old photos. Thanks in advance for any reply ! ...CB

23. biscaynes

biscaynes

[​IMG]

quick85 likes this.
  24. AHotRod

AHotRod

Is there anyway we could get Colesy to come back on the forum?

25. simple454

simple454
    from Yuma Az.

X2... I really miss his site. Was one of the best on the web...

26. biscaynes

biscaynes

posted by R W OHIO on the '55 thread...:)

[​IMG]

27. biscaynes

biscaynes

28. This one really pulled me in for about 5 mins. Yep, the 57 has a contact patch to die for.
    Imagine walking through the background, past the new looking 67 Elky, the gorgeous FED trailer, and spending the day at the track. Just to walk around in the parking lot to see the everyday stuff people drove. News of the day was Vietnam, Apollo moon shots, civil unrest. Small tracks were test beds for working folks and a lot of people drove to the track, poppped the hub caps off, uncapped the headers & raced!

29. cornelius#2

cornelius#2
    BANNED

two tracks on east coast celebrating 50th birthdays, cecil county june 8th and del mar august 25th, pretty good in this day and age they have lasted this long when all over country tracks are being lost to mismangement or development or hadtimes. way to go guys. jim

30. partsrivet

partsrivet

Hello again,

Been too wrapped up with work, family and life to post much lately but found a few more that may be of interest. This first one is another view of the Griffith Bros Rarity 55 at La Place, LA in 1967. That's about all I know about it. Similar to another view I'd posted earlier. I may go back and drag some view over from other threads since I doubt everyone here has seen them all. Sadly, there aren't all that many.

Take care

[​IMG]