Register now to get rid of these ads!

1 barrels rochester poppin on rev.why??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by onetruth1130, Mar 24, 2013.

1. onetruth1130

onetruth1130

hello all, well i got a 235 with dual 1bbl rochester carbs. seems as though the back carb backfires/pops when i rev it up, even slightly. timings seems on. and ive been tryin to play with the air/fuel mixture but i can make it lessen or go away. it one does it from one carb so im assuming it might be just something with just the carb, not engine related. kinda gettin frustrated so any tips and ideas would be awesome! thanks guys! and maybe any idea how many turns out for air/fuel mixture screw and how many turns in for throttle plate screw! thanks again!

2. onetruth1130

onetruth1130

and it also pings on accel. so weird carb noise and pinging. would premium fuel have anything to do with it? or maybe my sparkplug gap could be incorrect? not sure what i had set it at. ill have to check...just want to go cruisin so bad! haha

3. 37RAT

37RAT
    from Wisconsin

Maybe you could check for a vacuum leak around the base of the carb. or the throttle shaft. Squirt some WD-40 and see if your rpm raises! Sometimes a vacuum leak causes popping--

4. 37RAT

37RAT
    from Wisconsin

I didn't see your second post. Pinging? Are you sure your timing is correct. Also check your distributor and make sure it is rotating when you give it some gas. Check the vacuum line--

5. cheepsk8

cheepsk8
    from west ky

If it is backfiring through the carb, it is likely ignition related. Check your dist cap, wires , rotor all of it. Especially if it was running ok before it started acting up. It could be a carb but I would start there. Good luck with it

6. onetruth1130

onetruth1130

thanks for the post guys. so heres the full story.... im a mechanic and i usually do all work on my truck myself. but this time i decided to take m truck to this hotrod shop close to my home to get my carbs tuned "right". welll i dropped it of on saturday the 17 th and i didnt get it back til friday the 22nd. the guy told me they tuned it, took for a couple of road tests and it ran good. but when i picked it up, it ran like crap, barely made it home, and honestly it was making that weird popping/pinging noise all the way home. this noise wasnt there when i dropped it off to him mind u. took it back to him monday and he calls me back yesterday and says to me my headgasket is blown thats why the noise is there. im really trying to get my head around this. he says he didnt do anything to break it, eventho i paid him $370 to tune my carbs and time it and he told me it ran good, but now i got a blown headgasket. something doesnt seem right. im not sure if being lied to but i feel like they couldve done something to my truck and theyre trying to not take any responsability. they guy said that the prob was prob already there and when they tuned it, it realed the issue. sounds like a load of crap to me!

7. onetruth1130

onetruth1130

wow..sorry for the speeling mistake....revealed*